St Martin - As a Hall

• RMweb Premium

When St Martin was rebuilt as a Hall, were there any differences visibly betwwen it and the remainder of the "early" halls?

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Mike Wiltshire has already answered this in a post about Adderly Hall.

It didn't come up when I searched,  but a delve deep into Google brings the post up.

The answer is....................

St Martin's boiler is much lower slung than the rest of the class and it never had outside steam pipes until very late on in life.

Mike Wiltshire has already answered this in a post about Adderly Hall.

It didn't come up when I searched,  but a delve deep into Google brings the post up.

The answer is....................

St Martin's boiler is much lower slung than the rest of the class and it never had outside steam pipes until very late on in life.

Hornby Hall and 4900 modified from a NuCast Hall. In addition there is no brass beading on top of the splashers, removed when still a Saint, Swindon had to cut down the original splashers as there was no other 6ft wheeled loco at the time.

post-9992-0-19421100-1455558303_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Saint Martin retained Saint Cylinders until the end, which is surprising at the other saints were gone by 1953, whether they still had a new outside steam pipe Saint cylinders in stock when 4900 needed new cylinders or whether they had to make another two cylinders especially is intriguing.  The Cylinders support the smokebox as there is no separate smokebox saddle.  I assume it also retained the shallower Saint frames to the end whereas logic would have suggested it would have had new frames and cylinders to standardise it with the rest of the class.   The front cab windows were also noticeably bigger than the later 59XX and 69XX Halls.  4900 also had a Churchward 3500 gallon tender with late BR emblem in 1958.

I had a quick flick through the new Irwell Press book on the Halls, and it seems that "Saint Martin" had quite a few idiosyncracies resulting from its conversion, including those mentioned above, which made it something of a nuisance when it came to overhauls and repairs.

The author claims it was scrapped early and quickly in order to eliminate the possibility of it returning to cause yet more overhaul grief.

I had a quick flick through the new Irwell Press book on the Halls, and it seems that "Saint Martin" had quite a few idiosyncracies resulting from its conversion, including those mentioned above, which made it something of a nuisance when it came to overhauls and repairs.

The author claims it was scrapped early and quickly in order to eliminate the possibility of it returning to cause yet more overhaul grief.

I just checked the RCTS tome. She appears to have been the first withdrawn (4/59), but another was withdrawn a few months later and a few more in 1960. Under the circumstances of the time, she does not seem to have been a particularly rapid withdrawal, bearing in mind that her frames dated back to her building (I assume)

Craig W

• RMweb Premium

From a fleet of 300+Halls, of which 2/3 were about as old as each other, I would still choose St Martin as the first to go.

From a fleet manager's perspective it would have to be a particularly special engine to survive as the only odd one out- something that engineers, suppliers and manufacturers dislike.

Archived