The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Lunchtime encounter with a six foot giant rabbit and weeping angels

David Bigcheeseplant

Clicked on this because i thought, thank the lord someone took the same drugs as me and i am not alone!

Seriously now...i always find it a bit magical to come across bizarre things like you have or seeing things truly out of place. An old friend of mine was doing some serious mountain walking somewhere in NZ. He was kitted out along with the other chaps for the weather and terrain when they hear some whistling tune coming towards them. Suddenly a chap appears over the top wearing plimsolls and carrying his things in 2 carrier bags!

• RMweb Premium

That wasn't the test rig for the 'Flying Bedstead', was it?

I think it was a test rig for rocket engines. Part of the course of the Brill branch was actually inside/formed part of the perimeter of the station which was very hush-hush during the cold war.

I think it was a test rig for rocket engines. Part of the course of the Brill branch was actually inside/formed part of the perimeter of the station which was very hush-hush during the cold war.

As mentioned in my previous post.

At that time it was one of the most secure sites in the country.

All deliveries had to have named drivers notified in advance so that they could be vetted.

Business tended to be done in the pub in Kingswood rather than go through the hassle of obtaining the necessary entry pass.

Bernard

They still do rocket testing but much smaller stuff, normally the red flags are out, I can hear a warning klaxon the a rocket firing that lasts for around 30 seconds to a minute. This freaked me out the first time I was on my bike!

I was at Upper Heyford one day working in the Armoury which was situated way out in the middle of the airfield. A couple of F111s decided to fly past in opposite directions. It seemed to me that they were trying to get as low as possible and as close to the building as possible. That freaked me out. I was already rather on edge as I had a US Marine following my every movement, literally a step away from me. 

Bernard

Archived