Colour Lights DCC with Z21

Despatcher

I  am moving from my BR Steam/Diesel era to modern image. I have Dapol semaphore signals that work with my Z21 controller. I would like to replace them with colour lights with "feather" indicators. As I do not understand electrics in the slightest, what I want is colour lights, similar to the Dapol semaphores that I can wire to a decoder. Two wires to the track bus for power and "x" wires to a decoder that will work with my Z21. Which lights do I buy and which decoder? I need as simple as possible please. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I also have some Traintronics signals, but I'm not happy with them.  The wires from the LEDs are so thin it makes connecting up a real pain.  Furthermore, there is a lot of light bleed: if you look at the signal from a driver's point of view then it looks OK, but from a normal viewing point from the side of the layout they look poor giving the appearance that all aspects are showing red.  I have a couple of Eckon/Berko signals too and they do not suffer these problems. Looking to replace my Traintronics ones in the near future.

Organizing feathers can be quite easy. I switch from red to green + feather, with the feed form the feather going via the second built-in switch of my Tortoise point motors. In this way, the feather only comes on if both the signal is green and the relevant point is switched for the diverging route.  Hence no extra switching needed for the feather, and DCC does not know of the feather's existence.

Whilst disappointing that products have side-bleed of light, it is often easily fixed with a bit of paint. 

RFS' method of linking the feather to the status of turnouts, whilst also showing "proceed" is a smart bit of wiring.   Similar wiring can be used to determine yellow/green by linking to the next signal along the line, thus reducing signal switches to "stop/proceed" and the display of yellow or feather is done automatically. 

- Nigel

Archived