Trix trains

sagaguy

Sifting through some of the old magazines that will be on sale at Wakefield Exhibition this evening and all weekend made me remember that I had this from the July '54 MRN.

post-807-0-11583500-1510919741_thumb.jpg

Note that the Meccano licence is for 'Toy Railways' and the Peco one is for 'Scale Model Railways'.  I wonder which camp the Trix licence fell into..................

I presume that, as he was the originator of the coupling design, the fees for the licences went to Sydney Pritchard personally rather than the Peco company.  Wish I could come up with something so simple that would last for so many years!

• Informative/Useful 1

I believe that this was how Sydney Pritchard founded Peco Ltd.

Ray.

Ray

I don't think so, Peco were making folded metal objects before the WWII. The coupling funded the development of PECO as we now know it, getting a healthy revenue from Hornby and later Trix.

Richard

It was because Triang didn't want to pay a royalty that they developed the hook and bar coupling (later to become the tension lock once the Mk3 version debuted) thus ensuring that a generation of small boys struggled to couple rival manufacturers' wagons together......

In a similar vein they were offered the rights to a puffing smoke generator in the early 1960s but instead of paying the requested royalty, they went and developed their own ('Synchrosmoke').

It was because Triang didn't want to pay a royalty that they developed the hook and bar coupling (later to become the tension lock once the Mk3 version debuted) thus ensuring that a generation of small boys struggled to couple rival manufacturers' wagons together......

In a similar vein they were offered the rights to a puffing smoke generator in the early 1960s but instead of paying the requested royalty, they went and developed their own ('Synchrosmoke').

I think that was Cyril Fry who had a model railway in Ireland,i think he wanted too much money for the rights for Triang to make it.

Ray.

Tri-ang, initially for a few years, used the Seuthe (German?) smoke units in both 00 and TT before the syncrosmoke came out. This was 00 only as TT had then finished.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

Sifting through some of the old magazines that will be on sale at Wakefield Exhibition this evening and all weekend made me remember that I had this from the July '54 MRN.

attachicon.gifPeco Coupling Court Action July 54.jpg

Note that the Meccano licence is for 'Toy Railways' and the Peco one is for 'Scale Model Railways'.  I wonder which camp the Trix licence fell into..................

I presume that, as he was the originator of the coupling design, the fees for the licences went to Sydney Pritchard personally rather than the Peco company.  Wish I could come up with something so simple that would last for so many years!

Here is what Michael Foster had to say about it in his book on Hornby Dublo:

post-30099-0-65326100-1510975123_thumb.jpg

SaveSave

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
Guest spet0114

Quick question for the Trix cognoscenti....

The Trix A2 is reputed to have the same mechanism as a contemporary German pacific (marketed by Liliput?).  Can anyone let me know which model this was?

Thanks

Adrian

Curiosity is a dangerous thing, especially in the internet age. 

Idly browsing around the web to try and find out whether or not my Trix A2 theory (above) is just so much mis-remembered rubbish (I've not got a copy of Matthewman's authoritative work), led me to eBay, where I began looking at Liliput models, to see if any displayed any similarity to the A2 in the running gear/chassis department. A few clicks later and this little beauty has just joined my fleet.

Liliput1800.jpg

Now, I should stress that I've absolutely no knowledge of German prototypes, have no stock to run with this loco and bought it purely on the 'ooh, isn't it pretty' aspect.  It is very pretty.

It arrived in non-running condition, but an evening's tinkering/oiling has coaxed it into life. It's a nice runner, though it sounds rather like a concrete-mixer when running - a quality it shares with my Liliput A4, interestingly.

A bit more internet research appears to indicate it dates from the late 70's, around 1978 to be precise.

All I can say is that when you compare it to a contemporary pacific models from Hornby, Wrenn and even UK Liliput - well, there's no contest. This thing has inside motion, a working(ish) reverser and sprung buffers. In 1978! It also has lights and a Seuthe smoke unit as standard.

I'm guessing that at the time, this would have cost two or three times what a Hornby A3 or similar would have cost, but even so, the difference is remarkable. Given the choice - one of these or three Flying Scotsmans (Scotsmen?) -  I know which I'd have gone for. I'm tempted to speculate what might have been the result if, back in the 70s, someone had decided to abandon the conventional wisdom that the UK market is all about keeping costs as low as possible and marketed a 'luxury' range of UK prototypes of similar quality and at a similar price point. Maybe it would have sunk without trace, or maybe we'd have been dragged out of the Margate-quality era and into something approximating the quality of models we have today a decade or two earlier? Who knows?

It's interesting that in recent times we've seen a few brave companies (SLW, Rapido), target the high-quality/higher price market. Maybe the UK market has finally reached sufficient 'maturity'?

Ok, enough of my gibberish. I think it's the whisky talking.....

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114
  • Like 4

Very nice model.I looked into a Trix A2 with a view to converting it to run on my HD 3 rail layout but it would need all the wheels replacing as the the chassis was positive & would short ou,at least i think that was  the reason.I could get the parts from the TTRCA but then,lifes too short.

Ebay is either my undoing or my saviour,not certain which but it`s very theraputicto click on  & buy or bid for a loco or a coach,my wife thinks i`m quite mad but then i tell how many Nectar points we get!. :yes:

Ray.

She's this one (in German, but Google Translate will help) (Lovely model - there is a Lima model but it's not  in the same league (not even closely).

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayerische_S_3/6

There are some matching Liliput coaches for her to pull... (Rather attractive clerestories....).

The polarity of the A2 chassis shouldn't be a problem. All that is necessary is to insulate the couplings. Later Trix couplings are conveniently plastic, though the dropper needs modification to uncouple with Dublo ramps.

I must try the Nectar points idea, but I can see a couple of snags:-

1. They aren't worth much and

2. I used the last lot (several years worth) for a sneaky eBay purchase!  :secret:  :)

Edited by Il Grifone

Very nice model.I looked into a Trix A2 with a view to converting it to run on my HD 3 rail layout but it would need all the wheels replacing as the the chassis was positive & would short ou,at least i think that was the reason.I could get the parts from the TTRCA but then,lifes too short.

Ebay is either my undoing or my saviour,not certain which but it`s very theraputicto click on & buy or bid for a loco or a coach,my wife thinks i`m quite mad but then i tell how many Nectar points we get!. :yes:

Ray.

Ray,

As David has said there is no need to swap any wheels on the A2. It should already have a plastic coupling which prevents it shorting out. You have seen my Standard 5 running and that has original Trix wheels fitted.

Garry

• Like 1

I must try the Nectar points idea, but I can see a couple of snags:-

1. They aren't worth much and

2. I used the last lot (several years worth) for a sneaky eBay purchase!  :secret:  :)

Tut Tut! :nono:

We shop at Sainsburys & they pay for our Xmas dinner.HO HO HO!

Ray.

The Trix A2/A3/A4 were available in three rail if i remember correctly.  I will try to find a catalogue listing (but not holding my breath that I can easily find the catalogue in my piles of books!)

Yes,they were but they were comparitivley rare along with 3 rail Transpennine units.The collectors did need modifiying as they would drop into the gap in the centre rail on points

Ray.

post-4249-0-43418600-1513848151_thumb.jpg

Ray,

Another thing is the tender is all plastic with metal wheels only so there would not be any issues. The Britannia and Standard 5 had Dublo style die cast tender frames even though the wheel carrier was still plastic. All the A class locos had plastic framed tenders even the motorised A4 ones (poor and noisy in my opinion anyway).

Garry

• Like 1

I'm guessing that at the time, this would have cost two or three times what a Hornby A3 or similar would have cost, but even so, the difference is remarkable. Given the choice - one of these or three Flying Scotsmans (Scotsmen?) -  I know which I'd have gone for. I'm tempted to speculate what might have been the result if, back in the 70s, someone had decided to abandon the conventional wisdom that the UK market is all about keeping costs as low as possible and marketed a 'luxury' range of UK prototypes of similar quality and at a similar price point. Maybe it would have sunk without trace, or maybe we'd have been dragged out of the Margate-quality era and into something approximating the quality of models we have today a decade or two earlier? Who knows?

I think it would have been hard to suceed at that particular time as the much better detailed Mainline and Airfix models were arriving on the market, offering much more realistic models at similar prices to Hornby's. Maybe not to those levels of sophistication, but still a considerable step up at no significant premium at all.

I think it would have been hard to suceed at that particular time as the much better detailed Mainline and Airfix models were arriving on the market, offering much more realistic models at similar prices to Hornby's. Maybe not to those levels of sophistication, but still a considerable step up at no significant premium at all.

Both Mainline and Airfix models were let down by their chassis and motors, bodywork was very nice for the time though. The valve gear may have looked better than Margates but the rest of the chassis was useless. Noisy and push on plastic axles/gears etc were a retrograde step. You cannot beat the old Tri-ang and Dublo motors even now.

Garry

I would have to agree there - I bought one of the Large Prairie tanks when they came out from my local shop (as then was). It ran so poorly I had to take it back and we went through about four before we found a satisfactory one.

Not only that but Airfix used rubber tyres on their wheels including steam locos and I hate them.  Even Trix have tyres on driving wheels for which there is no need, Dublo and Tri-ang locos coped well so why use something that 1) can interrupt the current flow, and 2) leaves residue on the tracks. Any track that has had tyred locos run on it needs far more cleaning than if metal wheels only are used.

Mainline locos were lucky to pull 3 or 4 coaches, if you put one Dublo one behind it would struggle, a gentle push and you snap a plastic axle.

Garry

I converted this Airfix Royal Scot to Dublo 3 rail using a Marklin skate,it does well to haul five D1 coaches without too much motor & gear noise.Sorry about the radio,i forgot to switch it off! :rolleyesclear:

Ray.

I converted this Airfix Royal Scot to Dublo 3 rail using a Marklin skate,it does well to haul five D1 coaches without too much motor & gear noise.Sorry about the radio,i forgot to switch it off! :rolleyesclear:

Ray.

Ray,

The Airfix Scot is different to the Mainline locos, Airfix 14xx and 61xx locos, it has a Ringfield tender drive (as did the 4F) which actually has 4 rubber tyred wheels fitted so should pull better than the Mainline ones at least.  The Ringfields are not as noisy as the others but Mainline locos were the worst.

Tender drives are another pet hate of mine 1) locos pull trains not tenders, 2) due to this they need tyres to pull anything.

Garry

Thanks for the warning,i shall steer clear of Mainline locos.I have today purchased a 3 rail bo bo which i hope to use the motor & trailing bogie for yet another EMU.A friend has kindly supplied me with 2 3d printed cabs,2 motor bogie side frames & 2 dummy bogie p/ups.More projects!!.

Ray.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning,i shall steer clear of Mainline locos.I have today purchased a 3 rail bo bo which i hope to use the motor & trailing bogie for yet another EMU.A friend has kindly supplied me with 2 3d printed cabs,2 motor bogie side frames & 2 dummy bogie p/ups.More projects!!.

Ray.

This is an EMU/DMU Parcels van using the Bo-Bo bogies.  These 3-rail bogies are nice (apart from tyres lol)

Garry

post-22530-0-64825500-1513876743_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Curiosity is a dangerous thing, especially in the internet age. 

Idly browsing around the web to try and find out whether or not my Trix A2 theory (above) is just so much mis-remembered rubbish (I've not got a copy of Matthewman's authoritative work), led me to eBay, where I began looking at Liliput models, to see if any displayed any similarity to the A2 in the running gear/chassis department. A few clicks later and this little beauty has just joined my fleet.

Liliput1800.jpg

Now, I should stress that I've absolutely no knowledge of German prototypes, have no stock to run with this loco and bought it purely on the 'ooh, isn't it pretty' aspect.  It is very pretty.

It arrived in non-running condition, but an evening's tinkering/oiling has coaxed it into life. It's a nice runner, though it sounds rather like a concrete-mixer when running - a quality it shares with my Liliput A4, interestingly.

A bit more internet research appears to indicate it dates from the late 70's, around 1978 to be precise.

All I can say is that when you compare it to a contemporary pacific models from Hornby, Wrenn and even UK Liliput - well, there's no contest. This thing has inside motion, a working(ish) reverser and sprung buffers. In 1978! It also has lights and a Seuthe smoke unit as standard.

It's interesting that in recent times we've seen a few brave companies (SLW, Rapido), target the high-quality/higher price market. Maybe the UK market has finally reached sufficient 'maturity'?

Ok, enough of my gibberish. I think it's the whisky talking.....

Cheers

Adrian

I've a Trix/ Lilliput A3 flying Scot, my own view it's a poor performer, tender driven with a fly wheel, it's not a favourite as constantly gives problems, not exactly a good hauler either. The body modeling has quite a noticeable mould line along the top, lights have failed too. It was "replaced " by a much modified traing A3 with a xo4 motor loco drive.

On the other hand I'am a great fan of Trix plastic coaches I consider these to be one of the best plastic sided coaches except maybe kitmaster, yes now there are to 1:80 but in a rake you don't know the difference.

The bogies are very free running, I think they have graphite impregnated into the plastic, I never oil them kept clean, I got me to roll down a 1:150 gradient which is the best stock I have, given enough and reckon can get some locos to haul about 25 of these on one train.

Coupling same as dublo, odd screw dropped out but not bad for 50 years hammered on nearly all my layouts

• Like 1