Sarum Town (formally N gauge home layout)

shanks522

thank you. what radius of setrack curves are you using? (or at least I think they are setrack)

Hi Luke,

As a rule i don't use less than second radius but on Sarum there is a little section on the return loop that uses 1st radius.

Have you started your layout yet?

Graham.

• Like 1

Hi Luke,

As a rule i don't use less than second radius but on Sarum there is a little section on the return loop that uses 1st radius.

Have you started your layout yet?

Graham.

I have not started my layout yet, as I am not sure where I am going to put it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

hello all,

Spent a few hours cleaning some Locos and had a pleasant surprise when i discovered two 67's that i thought were dead actually ran.

I've found that a few times with their 153s/my 155 - they die, they go in a box while I sulk and then they're fine when I get them out to fix... weird.

Layouts looking great!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

I've found that a few times with their 153s/my 155 - they die, they go in a box while I sulk and then they're fine when I get them out to fix... weird.

Layouts looking great!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Very weird, i was convinced nearly all my 67's had died but this has proved me wrong, have to start checking the 66's now!

cheers

Graham.

• Like 1

Glad to hear Graham

Have not had the pleasure of having to open up anything later than Poole production so far.

Really nice scenes / settings and varying camera angles considering the layout size.

Thanks for posting

Steve

Hi Steve,

I seem to have had a really bad batch of 67's, out of 10 at least 8 have either died or failed in some way or another.

Other than the odd split gear any poole locos i have run good as gold. 

Cheers

Graham.

Hello all,

Having been inspired by Simon's work on Dallam sidings repainting his stock i made a start on some steel wagons that need attention.

Started with this in bright DB Red.

post-6774-0-69133100-1505072558_thumb.jpg

Gave it a coat of grey primer then several layers of dirty washes.

post-6774-0-62820100-1505072553_thumb.jpg

Now blends in quite nicely, 1 down 6 to go. 

post-6774-0-05730300-1505072547_thumb.jpg

Also spent a few hours running some trains, her we catch a Colas 60 on a Tilbury-Llanwern steel train. 

Graham.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Graham, Smithdown road junction was an all time favourite of mine, great to see you have followed it up with another cracking Layout. It is great to see what you can do in a small space.

I have just enjoyed reading this through from the start at lunch today. One question that is jumping back a few pages. I would be interested to know how you got on with the hardstanding. I have the same dilemma coming up between fine plaster and paint or a scale scenes print out. As a bit of a newbie modeller I am trying to learn as much from others as I go and I love how your layouts turn out, so any advice would be great.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Dave

Hi Graham, Smithdown road junction was an all time favourite of mine, great to see you have followed it up with another cracking Layout. It is great to see what you can do in a small space.

I have just enjoyed reading this through from the start at lunch today. One question that is jumping back a few pages. I would be interested to know how you got on with the hardstanding. I have the same dilemma coming up between fine plaster and paint or a scale scenes print out. As a bit of a newbie modeller I am trying to learn as much from others as I go and I love how your layouts turn out, so any advice would be great.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Dave

Hello David,

Thank you for the kind words about Smithdown Road.

Hardstanding - On Sarum I've used plasticard either side of the track to give me a flat surface, if there are any small gaps I've used humbrol fine filler to sort it. The 4 foot was done using code 80 rail glued in upside down, doing this narrows the gap for the flange, next filler was applied then rubbed down and painted.

At the moment its all still in primer so weathering needs doing soon! 

hope that helps

Graham.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Hope everyone has had an enjoyable christmas.

Got a few nice additions this year.

First up

The good lady bought me a CCT re railing van, this will be used on Sarum.

post-6774-0-18211400-1514323444_thumb.jpg

Next some more modern traction for the new WCML layout.

An LT20 from my parents.

post-6774-0-42839700-1514323456_thumb.jpg

And finally a present to myself.

post-6774-0-74309100-1514323448_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 14

• 3 months later...

Would you mind me asking which setrack radius curves you have used on there? it looks brilliant! 

Hi,

I've used a mixture of 2nd and 3rd radius on the mainlines, on the return loop in the middle of the layout i've had to use 1st radius. 

This video shows all the lower track work before scenery began.

hope that helps 

Graham.

• Like 2

That ctt wagon is on my shopping list too.

Looking spot on as normal fella

Hi Phil,

The CCT is a nice little addition, The more engineers vehicles the better! looking forward to the sturgeon from RevolutioN.

Graham.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

work on my layouts is at a snails pace at the moment, however eBay is keeping my wallet empty!

New 47, she's been weathered and re named/numbered to Willesden Yard 47317.

post-6774-0-57153400-1524000382_thumb.jpg

Hopefully a more productive update on the layout soon!

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...

Hello all, 

Layout is still alive, I've got 3 projects on the go so time is limited.

Mainly sorting out electrical bits at the moment but more scenic work is on the cards.

Other reason the layout is up is to test ( play ) with new stock.

Network rail 150 waiting at the signal.

post-6774-0-97626700-1536785132_thumb.jpg

More to follow including videos. 

Graham. 

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Couplings on the agenda today.

I ordered some rigid NEM coupling bars from Shapeways to try out on my Farish MK2's, so far i'm very impressed, the gap between the coaches has closed right up and they manage to run round 1st radius curves without issue, I haven't tried them on reverse curves but i can't see it being a problem.

Coupling bar prints from Shapeways.

post-6774-0-96553600-1537565220_thumb.jpg

Coaches with hardly any gap between them.

post-6774-0-64552700-1537565200_thumb.jpg

Also had a play with the new Dapol MJA's, the gap between them is huge and i can't work out why? i've used Dapol knuckle couplings with a dab of copydex to hold them solid.

post-6774-0-02332500-1537565234_thumb.jpg

Video of the coaches on test. 

Jump forward 30 odd years and now we have wagons on test too.

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 9

Hi Graham,

Those mk2s look good with no gap. Do you get any problems with the buffers on the tighter curves? I see you still have them fitted. To get my mk3 rakes (fitted close using the Dapol short knuckle) around tighter corners I had to remove the buffers.

Thanks for posting the video's. That 33 looks like a lovely model.

All the best

Dave

Hi Graham,

Those mk2s look good with no gap. Do you get any problems with the buffers on the tighter curves? I see you still have them fitted. To get my mk3 rakes (fitted close using the Dapol short knuckle) around tighter corners I had to remove the buffers.

Thanks for posting the video's. That 33 looks like a lovely model.

All the best

Dave

Hi Dave,

So far i've had no issues on the curves, there are a few places that have 1st radius and they've been fine, when i test things like this i usually propel the stock as well as haul it to iron out an niggles.

I'll take a video of them later to show it.

cheers

Graham. 

• Like 1