Tramway Surface Stud Contact Current Collection

AySea

There are two things to remember about trying to work Model stud contact Trams. One, the skates had to be quite long, indeed some Stud cantact cars had their pilot boards and Life guards further out from the usaul place at the truck ends to allow for this and, two, real trams have their gear wheels to one side and clear of the skate, in small scale modelleing we tend to have worm gears on the centre line and precious little ground clearance below the gears as we use as large a worm wheel as we can to get a good reduction ratio.. Just a couple of practical thoughts.

A very good point, which is why I was suggesting a Maerklin mechanism as it will have been designed to accommodate the skate. Maerklin may be AC, but it can be converted to DC by replacing the stator with a permanent magnet, there are suitable kits around. Brawa also do 3rd rail models for the Maerklin system. However, both are likely to be expensive, especially as you would end up discarding the body shell.

not sure if that rail is still made, although I have seen similar in some track bought second hand. I did find some drawings on internet(all I wanted was the dimensions, not what could be used), and I think I am right that the slot/groove is just over an inch wide in reality. In photos it actually looks wider, but that might be an effect of the light etc. Anyway about 0.5mm in model is about minimum I think will print properly. Modified my initial junction design, and hopefully will get a test sample ordered.

That sounds like a product to look out for! For Colin Withey, Simon? I know he's looking at a project with your track system.

Alan, I have mentioned it to Colin, and as soon as he has the time he will be investigating it. I have first samples of track, and I think it is OK. Will take some photos, although it probably won't show up that well.

I have designed it in a way, so it can be added to other track designs, and my new junction can be produced without the conduit.

conduit-track-junction1.jpgconduit-track-closeup1.jpg

link to full sized photo

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3d-print-photos/conduit-track.JPG

Alan, I have mentioned it to Colin, and as soon as he has the time he will be investigating it. I have first samples of track, and I think it is OK. Will take some photos, although it probably won't show up that well.

I have designed it in a way, so it can be added to other track designs, and my new junction can be produced without the conduit.

conduit-track-junction1.jpgconduit-track-closeup1.jpg

link to full sized photo

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3d-print-photos/conduit-track.JPG

That looks very good indeed Simon! I like it.

• 1 month later...

Archived