Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Best Locomotives for Tight Curves

roy-c

I'm starting the planning stage for my next layout after "No Place".

The problem with No Place is that it is a shunting plank.  It is going to be boring to operate despite loading wagons onstage.

I have an effective space of 10 feet by 2 feet 9 ins for the layout that follows it.  Anything bigger and it won't go in the car with stock and a second operator.  These dimensions also allow me to share the proscenium with Hawthorn Dene.

If I want a roundy-roundy I'm effectively going to have to use radius 1 curves in the hidden ends.  My next stage in the decision process will be to buy a circle of Peco Radius 1 setrack and build a test oval.  That will determine what I can use and if the layout will be viable.  

The test train will be made up of 4-wheel wagons as these will be the most common stock on the layout- I'll borrow a couple of coaches though there should be less of a problem with these.

I'll post results for the locos when I have them.

Les

I've now done the tests with the whole of my stock and I'm going back to N-gauge for the next roundy-roundy.  A layout based on R1 has a few key players that wouldn't take the curves. All my layouts have to share my Citroen Grand Picasso with two people and the stock boxes.....

Those that run well

Dapol/MR Mag Sentinel

Hornby Sentinel diesel

Hornby or Dapol J94

Mercian Hunslet 0-6-0ST

Agenoria Hudswell 0-6-0T

Bachmann 64xx pannier

Hornby L1 2-6-4T

Bachmann V1 2-6-2T

Hornby K1 2-6-0

Those that don't or derail

Hornby Stanier 4MT 2-6-4T