Motor and Gearbox combos

richard_t

I've previously made this information available on the MIGO+1 forum, but as there seems to be interest on here I thought I'd make it available here as well.

09/09/08:

I needed to work out some max speeds from some motor and gearbox combinations, so I got the relevant data and put it all in a spreadsheet (attached). It's got all of the main gearboxes from ABC gears, along with most of the current motors from Maxon and Faulhaber. There are a few Canon, Pittman and Portescap motors as well. I thought this might be useful until I came to use it, and I found it's quite hard to see the wood for the trees, so.... [bTW: to use the spreadsheet enter the wheel diameter in inches in the space provided, and the rest should do itself]

[Non-IT people look away now!]

I databased it all. Also attached is a database script and data population script to create a SQL Server database with most of the information in. This should run on the free version of SQL Server- but I've not tried it. I've got no idea if it runs on mysql or Oracle - althought I doubt it will out of the box. Now the nice this about this is you can really home in the motor/gearbox that might be suitable:

select * from dbo.MotorGearboxSpeed(54) 
where max_speed between 15 and 25 and volts = 12 and power between 1 and 4 and length < 35 
order by max_speed

Or in English: Get me all the details of motor-gearboxes for wheels of 54 inches, where the max_speed is between 15 and 25 mph, and is a 12v motor, and the power is between 1 and 4 watts and the length is less than 35mm. List the results in speed order.

I hope someone else finds this useful - and if you need any help just shout. I'll update them both as and when I find out more motor and gearbox information.

16/09/08:

Probably the last update for the time being. I've added Ron Chaplin and Romford gearboxes/sets to both the spreadsheet and database. On the database side I've moved some stuff about, and dropped the price column from the gearbox table (I didn't want to keep updating it, and I didn't have one in the motor table anyhow.) I've also added a couple more functions for querying. The first is for selecting a gearbox range of ratios for a range of speeds:

-- class 37/0-37/5 37/7 37/9
select * from dbo.MotorGearboxSelection(3*12+7, 60, 80)
where volts = 6 and length <= 20 and fitting <> 'M5.5 x 0.5 screw in'

The other function, tries to match know fittings for motors and gearboxes, but as this information is sketchy on the gearbox sites I'd not particulary rely on it:

select * from dbo.MatchedMotorGearboxSpeed(54) 
where max_speed between 15 and 17 and volts = 12 and power between 1 and 4 and length < 35 
order by ratio, max_speed

Hope it's of use!

database_motorinfo.zip

spreadsheet.zip

Archived