'Big Four' provincial operations?

Hi all,

Can anyone provide any information or recommend any books on the 'secondary' operations of the LMS and LNER?

Most of my knowledge centres around BR, but I'm modelling a fictional MPD in West Yorkshire shared by the LMS and LNER, and would like to know more about their operations.

It's quite rare that I see a photo of, say, a J21 kicking around in LNER livery, whereas photos of such locomotives in their BR variants are quite commonplace (for obvious reasons).

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Can anyone provide any information or recommend any books on the 'secondary' operations of the LMS and LNER?

Most of my knowledge centres around BR, but I'm modelling a fictional MPD in West Yorkshire shared by the LMS and LNER, and would like to know more about their operations.

It's quite rare that I see a photo of, say, a J21 kicking around in LNER livery, whereas photos of such locomotives in their BR variants are quite commonplace (for obvious reasons).

Thanks in advance.

LNER Passenger Trains and Formations (1923-67) by Banks and Carter is hard to beat for the subject aspects covered.  It depends on your definition of 'secondary' to some extent of course (!), but after dealing pretty comprehensively with the ECML in all its 'primary' glory, Volume 1 moves on to lesser express and cross-country workings in various parts of the country covered by the LNER and BR (ER). The reviews on Amazon will spell it out for you.

A second volume dealing with more local workings, 'suburban' traffic, parcels etc. is I understand in preparation and was supposed to be published late last year, but has been delayed by illness.

Strongly recommended.

Archived