RMweb

Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium

That signal box will look great when it’s done Rich - etching yourself…. Do you mean designing the etch, or getting a sheet of brass and setting up an etching system at home?

Could the windows not be 3D printed? Or would they be too weak?

Happy birthday for tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

The final building needed for my version of Brent is the houses now known as 1 and 2 Balmoral Villas, as ever there is a bit of modellers licence required here given the Kingsbridge branch (and the mainline) do not follow the prototypical curvature and cut into the fields behind the house a lot sooner than the real thing.  I also have no clear period photos of the side of the building that will be most visible from the operating position (and only gimpses in the rear of photos for the other views.  As such I am reliant on modern photos (particularly Google / Bing street view, with a bit of logic as to what is more modern modifications. 

I am assuming the house was originally symmetrical (so some of the windows added to no2 that are not present on no1 are more recent additions.)  I will not be including the rear most section due to space constraints, but will have the bulk of it.   The actual house is very complex in shape so again I have simplified a little to better fit the space available.  (I may simplify further still and completely remove the rear most section altogether) 

The drawing attached is fairly crude in Fusion 360, purely because this software is easier to move things around in the design phase,  It will now be replicated in Autocad to get a more useful cutting drawing before getting it laser cut (including all of the design of floors / interconnecting parts.    Its very unlikely this will be ready until the new year, but once done it should really finish this area of the layout off nicely.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to add photos…IMG_8185.jpeg.671cab3fd6ab69f4de07007e577d2b7a.jpegIMG_8186.jpeg.e572d4c06cbbb8bdbb2f0e6b227919e9.jpeg

I think there might be windows missing from the rear, possibly as a result of my changes to the overall design. 

I had hoped either house would have ended up for sale so I could get photos…

edit: the final building will locate roughly in place of the box below

IMG_8188.jpeg

IMG_8187.jpeg
something is going to have to be done about the backscene which has not stood up well to the past few years

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

On 12/10/2023 at 14:47, The Fatadder said:

Rather regret not doing the same with the goods shed as it would have been finished years ago (all be it a somewhat more complicated structure). 

My goods shed is similar to Brent's, though with an offset cart entrance.

Constructed from 3mm MDF with embossed plastikard overlay:

P1340835.JPG.0e504a75040d0d9b075b4877063b0261.jpeg

P1340473.JPG.24045f69eca76ed8295ad54de6e721f5.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice build.

I do regret not just cracking on and doing it myself, but at the time (having finished a drawing of each side of the building) I was approached by a manufacturer of laser cut buildings who offered to do it.  The cost was quite high, but so was the quality of their output (and a 6 month lead time was very appealing.)   Alas almost 3 years (and a lot of “it’s coming soon” type messages) later I’ve finally had a more honest response they they took on too much work (although no response to the follow up asking for a realistic etc).   All very frustrating 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

After several hours working on the garden improvements, followed by a trip to the dump, I managed an hour or so on Brent.  First off the garage is freezing (and I need to get my radiator back from the in-laws!)

the main aim was to get the slip point polarity working and to then wire up ‘Kingsbridge’ before doing some testing.  (Having spent an hour earlier in the day removing old baseboard to take to the tip).   The motor in question is difficult to

reach kneeling under the board at full stretch wrapping around a leg.   Eventually the wires were removed and resoldered onto the no2 switch.  However annoyingly it still only sets the polarity on one direction.  As far as I can tell the point is fully thrown (I don’t really want to take it off and check as this double slip was a complete pig to get working by hand….

I think the solution is to

buy a pack of gaugemasters frog juicers and use that for the polarity rathe than the tortoise.    At which point t I was more than fed up, so other than screwing on another length of 3by 1 to give a tidier edge to the scenic board I feel like if achieved nothing once again….  Maybe Friday will go better for me…..

• Friendly/supportive 9

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

After several hours working on the garden improvements, followed by a trip to the dump, I managed an hour or so on Brent.  First off the garage is freezing (and I need to get my radiator back from the in-laws!)

the main aim was to get the slip point polarity working and to then wire up ‘Kingsbridge’ before doing some testing.  (Having spent an hour earlier in the day removing old baseboard to take to the tip).   The motor in question is difficult to

reach kneeling under the board at full stretch wrapping around a leg.   Eventually the wires were removed and resoldered onto the no2 switch.  However annoyingly it still only sets the polarity on one direction.  As far as I can tell the point is fully thrown (I don’t really want to take it off and check as this double slip was a complete pig to get working by hand….

I think the solution is to

buy a pack of gaugemasters frog juicers and use that for the polarity rathe than the tortoise.    At which point t I was more than fed up, so other than screwing on another length of 3by 1 to give a tidier edge to the scenic board I feel like if achieved nothing once again….  Maybe Friday will go better for me…..

Have you watched the recent McKinley video where he highlights a major problem they have discovered with Tortoise points motor switching?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Pendennis said:

Have you watched the recent McKinley video where he highlights a major problem they have discovered with Tortoise points motor switching?

No I haven’t, will try and find it.   I’ve now had the switches fail on two of them, although this is   the first where both switches have failed.  

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

No I haven’t, will try and find it.   I’ve now had the switches fail on two of them, although this is   the first where both switches have failed.  

This isn't necessarily a recent problem. Switch failures, in some form, have been known for some time. For example:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I was always under the impression they were pretty much bullet proof, apparently not….   

That said in both cases  the actual switching mechanism is working perfectly, hence ordering the frog juicers so I can fix it without having to remove the motor (which would be an absolute nightmare given it’s location!)  looking at the forecast tomorrow is cold and the rest of the week very wet, which no doubt will prevent me cracking on with it, but good to have a solution none the less

• Like 3

On 15/10/2023 at 00:19, The Fatadder said:

Forgot to add photos…IMG_8185.jpeg.671cab3fd6ab69f4de07007e577d2b7a.jpegIMG_8186.jpeg.e572d4c06cbbb8bdbb2f0e6b227919e9.jpeg

I had hoped either house would have ended up for sale so I could get photos…

If you search the address on google, you may find a sale in the last 20 years, with some pictures of the different elevations, something I have done to figure out window locations etc.

On 15/10/2023 at 00:19, The Fatadder said:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, stevel said:

If you search the address on google, you may find a sale in the last 20 years, with some pictures of the different elevations, something I have done to figure out window locations etc.

Alas I’ve tried that, one half last sold in 2003 for which there appears to be nothing online, the other was even further back.  I have had a Rightmove alert set up for

this postcode in the hope it would go on the market to get the required views, but it’s got to the point I just need to crack on.   Tbh given the changes I’ve had to make to the rear of the building I guess not getting the windows quite right isn’t the end of the world 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Alas I’ve tried that, one half last sold in 2003 for which there appears to be nothing online, the other was even further back.  I have had a Rightmove alert set up for

this postcode in the hope it would go on the market to get the required views, but it’s got to the point I just need to crack on.   Tbh given the changes I’ve had to make to the rear of the building I guess not getting the windows quite right isn’t the end of the world 

The local council planning website might have plan drawings but, of course, only if significant alterations have been made to the properties.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

The upside though is, unless anyone walks down the path to either front door - no one will know exactly what the front is like today. Never mind in your time period.

Personally I’d crack on and not worry too much if x detail isn’t quite there.

When I looked at Google street view, I was surprised to see the signal box still there - I thought it was longer ago when NR demolished it. Obviously not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some Brent work this afternoon, the gaugemaster frogjuicer has been installed, along with fixing a broken track feed.  After which I was then able to run the first train over the slipIMG_8227.jpeg.57f7a31717f8362b5e1943fa15e81e47.jpegIMG_8228.png.487fffe51df4298db25834cf07c5cea3.png

A view of how Brent may have looked in the late 90s if the contractor hadn’t been so quick lifting up the branch track and the line had been preserved.

IMG_8222.jpeg.96a503b9d5c9b9ea90443cc28dbbffa2.jpegIMG_8220.jpeg.cd1dab3f928c1aa84031c407eb60c78e.jpeg

Does anyone have a recommendation for a source of laser cut roof tiles?  It’s about time I got some of the roofs finished…..

Next up should be the signal box, the parts for the core are in the post.  I need to cut the window frames, doors and outer framing  on the silhouette cutter.  I’m thinking I will build the wooden core then cut and fit the overlays.   A week from first contact to delivery is rather refreshing…

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a source of laser cut roof tiles?  It’s about time I got some of the roofs finished…..

I've used York Modelmaking on Coombe Town, nice self-adhesive tiles that take weathering powders well after a blast with matt varnish.

Following the signal box build with interest, still need to find a source for my box windows.

Dom16978154903586029487140610759070.jpg.920b1a2c1f9ae522ac733c7466b9b9e0.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks to Rail Model who have cut some parts for the core of my signal box for Brent.

today I’ve built the core of the building (and the floor.  I have a bit of learning to do with cut thicknesses, but I’m pleased with my first attempt.

The windows are about 0.5mm thicker than they should be, this is fine as it’s all covered by the frame.   

The next step is adding 10thou strip for the framing, add window sills and some other details and do some painting. 

I will then use the silhouette cutter to do the window frames and doors

IMG_8323.jpeg

IMG_8324.jpeg

IMG_8326.jpeg

IMG_8327.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The next step is the framing, for the ends this needed cutting to a non standard width (allowing for the overlap of the front/back).  The rest needs to wait until I get a delivery of the right Evergreen strip. 

IMG_8341.jpeg.112f9beacd9410467ced95935bcf5058.jpegIMG_8340.jpeg.c6230de9e96a52172bc8b5ed7c1361cb.jpeg

My thinking is to get the whole thing painted before I start messing about with windows (not that I’m in any way putting this job off…)

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress this evening, with the front nearly finished and a start on the rear.  The sides have also been fitted with the lower piece.

IMG_8379.jpeg.d6f18a89e7536c3879dd25d09cec0d18.jpegIMG_8378.jpeg.4f8b68fd50a5952a04c85ce9e86e8de6.jpeg

one thing that is bothering me is the colour, the top half is the usual light / dark stone (and white window frames).  But I can’t tell what colour the lower half is, chocolate maybe?  I’ve cropped a small section of a photo (unknown photographer) to show what I meanIMG_8371.jpeg.8bbdb0432103f270b737c368116cae2d.jpeg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had heard a lot of rumours that it was in the works but good to see Accurascale have now announced a 21st century model of a 5700/8750.  

The current fleet is already pretty well stocked for panniers, given that by my research they were not exactly common visitors through Brent.   With 7427 clearly not going to be removed, 5798's days are clearly numbered.  There are two releases that I have my eye on (for which I will need to confirm suitable identities), I've always fancied having a go at a riveted tank example, and have a preference for the 8750 cab style over the original.  Obviously neither of which are being released in GWR livery.  If there is a suitable NA/Laira loco for the former condition in wartime Black would be an easy repaint, while removing the lettering from 9741 seems to be the optimal route to a G W R 8750.   Time to do some research!

edit: I have posted some more thoughts on suitable locos based at Laira and Newton Abbot in Robin's Brent thread

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1