Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

When spraying modern stock in various greys, I often get tempted to use up the excess on a bit of weathering.  So while spraying the flint grey on a 1990s class 37 I’ve used the excess paint on Brent.

IMG_8871.jpeg.a7cf9d33abc4b5b7f72a73a5feaf1dd0.jpeg

first up the signal box was treated to a light dusting to tone down the bright finish, spraying on then wiping off.   It probably still needs toning down a little further.

IMG_8872.jpeg.d20d62869e29afcef46d14ee9f661d06.jpeg

more interesting is the road down to the goods yard, which has all been treated to a dusting of flint grey (at various intensity’s) before rubbing the paint into the ash to blend together.  I sprayed the first 5mm or so of grass to get closer to that dirty look. Compared to the triangle I the left hand side that is untouched I’m much happier with the new effect so will be doing the rest of the yard once the goods shed is in situ.

im still unsure as to what I will do about the backscene which is looking worse every time I look at it 

• Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

This bogie loco coal wagon has sat on the bench for far too long, so tonight it’s finally been fitted with its transfers (from CCT) applied on a coat of Klear.   They will get another coat of Klear in the morning before varnishing once the weather warms up.   It’s also been fitted with buffers and couplings ready to join a mineral train on the layout.

the plan is to get the 4 or 5 different loco coal wagons heavily weathered in the spring 

IMG_9201.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

During the workshop tidy I found a forgotten box of unfinished kit built wagons.  All of which were built many years ago for my last p4 steam layout (although a good number had since been rewheeled).  Lots were missing a combination of buffers, buffer heads, springs/axle boxes  and tare weight transfers, while pretty much all were missing couplings.  The first batch were intended for through trains so have been fitted with hook/loop couplings.

IMG_9205.jpeg.02c98f61435048666970844d183b3bf5.jpegIMG_9203.jpeg.a58bfa4dfc8fbb7499d6af2030f34dc7.jpeg

Followed by a quick build of a Parkside GW 5 plank. 

IMG_9206.jpeg.0ce93ed64dfd3e10a3b151ed57459a81.jpeg

The next batch were those which either had buffers available or already fitted, but needed Dinghams.  So an initial 12 sets were soldered up last night, dipped in Casey’s Gun Blue and this afternoon fitted to another 8 wagons along with 5 NPCCS (the 5th coupling was already made) 

a couple need springs /axle boxes adding and a transfer kit two to complete which will be sorted before moving it all out to the layout 

that leaves another 10 or so wagons for which I need to order parts 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

Love them all.. But the 013 Milk brake is my favourite..

I know what you mean, it’s a coach I’ve wanted for a very long time.  Will be good to finally get it onto the layout later in the week 

IMG_9238.jpeg.f257e3e67d2169c2802de36543872d5b.jpeg

in the mean time, two more wagons, the LMS van shown yesterday now has transfers, while the Parkside 5 plank i built at the weekend has been painted and lettered.

the Comet full brake has handrails / door handles fitted.  Should be glazed and fitted with couplings tomorrow….

I don’t think there’s room in the fiddleyard at the moment so some stock changes will be needed!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A few more wagons, Ratio Iron mink fitted with an MRD roof, doors and brake leavers (I couldn’t get my head around the etched brake gear so used bits from my scrap box for the third brake.) before painting, lettering and adding couplings.

Cambrian LMS 5 planks and a Parkside LNER 1 plank both gained buffers and couplings.

IMG_9243.jpeg.0d5e25b3eb9780b125417033a59e9411.jpeg

I also added couplings and glazing to this Comet full brake, I’m not happy with the paint so unless weathering sufficiently hides it I suspect I will respray (again)IMG_9242.jpeg.e708c5628e47e4624686045382a8d077.jpeg

IMG_9246.jpeg.0eca18ef9e6d8889568063db72d96892.jpeg

the remaining projects, the rear 5 need buffers, middle row need paint / transfers for the left two, while the right two are Bachmann BR clay wagons pending conversion to GWR versions)

the bottom row need metal buffer heads.    All of them need couplings and most need OO wheel swaps.  

However this will be some way down the line.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been looking at my Bulldogs with the intention of getting something finished.  I currently have 2, the Bird detailed a while back in the thread (for which the chassis doesn’t run freely) and a k’s white metal body built to a high standard which needs a chassis.   I also have the brass lump that was under the bird when I bought it (alas with far too small wheels) and a Falcon chassis kit.

I’ve been looking at getting some wheels ordered, frustratingly the price of loco wheels is astronomical these days.  Even Gibsons are now £10 an axle (excluding the outside cranks!). While Markits don’t even tell you the price (they show 2013 prices, and a note saying the price is something like 2015+a percentage (but not how to get from 2013 to 2015…).  Wizard have annoyingly been out of stock for years now…..

This is the current state of the chassis, having removed the too small wheels and given it a good clean.

IMG_9253.jpeg.1817742664f09223ae0d3b679004005d.jpeg

I’m tempted to bore these out to accept bearings.  All I want is a free running chassis that can be pushed by a King / Castle on a set of 8 coaches…

This is Bulldog no2

IMG_9251.jpeg.e168d85697c893d50495440018576789.jpeg

The question now is whether I will finish both locos, I’m considering selling the white metal one to free up funds to buy wheels for the brass one (particularly as I can’t see when I will actually finish the is one).

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

The white metal body looks good. I'm sure you'll get there in the end. I'd love to see a Bird series Bulldog rtr.  Instead we keep being offered slightly better versions of locos already available, which I don't really need.  I can understand why - these locos lasted in large numbers through BR days and often beyond; the Bulldogs didn't. But it would be nice to see Bachmann do one - after all they've made most of the bits already.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Still can’t believe Bachmann haven’t followed up the Earl with a Bulldog given it was clearly designed with that in mind. 

I need to try some scale sized wheels in this to get it into service.  I have a cunning plan to fit Bachmann Earl wheels to save a few pounds….IMG_9225.jpeg.1a469a19cbfe3ad50f2971465b435210.jpegIMG_9226.jpeg.965686a3cd7a526a6e526587284a742e.jpeg

The white metal body is now in the classifieds for what I paid for it. So will see what happens 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

2 more wagons, first a Cambrian starfish  that fell on the floor and broke part of the underframe now fully repaired.  I had a tray of leftover ballast so I’ve also finished off it’s load.

IMG_9283.jpeg.6af3f18183f8a701b6bb6497897e182c.jpeg

Next a Bachmann conflat, an older model from my 90s trainset.  It was rebuilt with a new chassis about ten years back but never finished, I’ve added buffer heads and Dinghams, along with some weight and it’s now ready for service. I think that means I’m now down to 7 wagons needing buffers/wiron and couplings, plus the two private owners which need transfers and couplings.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A couple more wagons finished this evening after finding some more buffers

IMG_9395.jpeg.732137fcba5fd27912219ccb71d4643e.jpeg

the NE van is a Cambrian kit, the Devizes sand open is another relic from my childhood trainset that’s been given a bit of a tarting up, as are the Mogo and the conflat .  They have received new chassis to bring them up to scratch with the two vans and the open intended to join mainline freight services, while the conflat has dinghams to enter the branch / pickup goods fleet. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

You've done a nice bit of upcycling there.. Nice to get some old wagons back into service!

Thanks, there are a few others (private owners and a salt van) that have had similar conversions previously, always nice to get something that has a bit of sentimental value turned into something that is also useful,

I still have another 6 wagons in the unfinished box (and I think a further 5 or 6 awaiting build), although everything thats left will require parts purchasing so they are certainly a lower priority. 

Its the unfinished locos that I really need to look at, with the County, 47xx, Mitchell 43xx and Manor all still not working, the Finney 2251 still without a chassis even in the to do pile, and the Saint awaiting a chassis build.   Then there's the Bird....

The latter might  actually see some progress. I think I have a way forward for a reliably running unpowered chassis for it using Bachmann Earl parts from their spares site.  Having just dismantled my dukedog in preparation for fitting the chassis into a curved frame Bulldog I matched up the block against the existing block and they are pretty similar in size.  It just needs modifying to add the body fixings and a new keeper plate (as I refuse to pay what Bachmann are asking for the Dukedog part).   (This does mean that I will be putting a Dukedog body in GWR green with etched number plates on the classifieds soon).

For those interested you can buy the complete drive assembly including motor and keeper plate for about £55 from Bachmann spares which I think is a bit of a bargain.  With some metal removed from the insides of the boiler I think it would be possible to fit one to the K's white metal kit I have for sale.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

New toy day.....

Just had a delivery of a 3d printed curved frame Bulldog that was designed by a chap on the GWR Modellers facebook group, intended for use with the Bachmann Dukedog chassis.  Also included is an accurate bogie for it, with the model just needing bufferheads and handrails to complete (along with a few of the fixing screws etc from the Bachmann donor model).

Mine is going to be finished as one of the last two survivors of the curved frame Bulldog, Exeters 3335 (for which I need to get a set of plates ordered from LRS).  For now I have test fitted the chassis (without the fittings for the bogie) and aim to get it painted over the next couple of evenings if the weather holds.  The question will be how well Phoenix GWR green and Bachmann GWR green match up to see if I can avoid needing to respray the tender as well.   If anyone can direct me toward 1940s photos of 3335 I would appreciate it.

I think the quality of the print is high, including some very nice cab interior detail and a representation of the inside motion which is no doubt going to be a real pain to paint.

In the mean time this evenings task is going to be getting it fitted with handrails, its been a while since I last formed a set so naturally I am really looking forward to this wonderful task.....

I ordered a Dukedog Chassis block and complete wheelset / rods / bearings from Bachmann spares on Friday, so as soon as that arrives I will get it modified and fitted so that 3449 will be ready to enter service.

IMG_9421.jpeg

This is going to be an interesting build Rich. I can see what you mean about that inside valve gear….

Good luck!

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

New toy day.....

Just had a delivery of a 3d printed curved frame Bulldog that was designed by a chap on the GWR Modellers facebook group, intended for use with the Bachmann Dukedog chassis.  Also included is an accurate bogie for it, with the model just needing bufferheads and handrails to complete (along with a few of the fixing screws etc from the Bachmann donor model).

Mine is going to be finished as one of the last two survivors of the curved frame Bulldog, Exeters 3335 (for which I need to get a set of plates ordered from LRS).  For now I have test fitted the chassis (without the fittings for the bogie) and aim to get it painted over the next couple of evenings if the weather holds.  The question will be how well Phoenix GWR green and Bachmann GWR green match up to see if I can avoid needing to respray the tender as well.   If anyone can direct me toward 1940s photos of 3335 I would appreciate it.

I think the quality of the print is high, including some very nice cab interior detail and a representation of the inside motion which is no doubt going to be a real pain to paint.

In the mean time this evenings task is going to be getting it fitted with handrails, its been a while since I last formed a set so naturally I am really looking forward to this wonderful task.....

I ordered a Dukedog Chassis block and complete wheelset / rods / bearings from Bachmann spares on Friday, so as soon as that arrives I will get it modified and fitted so that 3449 will be ready to enter service.

IMG_9421.jpeg

That's a very nice looking print.  Will be interested to see how this one develops!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I am even more impressed now, going to have to speak to the guy who did it and get some advice on the setup he is using (and the orientation of the print).  There has been a lot less fettling required than usual, removing the remnants of the supports and no work needed filling pressure tares, exaggerated layering or any of the other oddities that hit my prints from time to time.

All being well I am hoping to get it sprayed green over lunch, although the compressor still needs fitting with its new regulator before I can do anything which will limit the spraying time.  

Of course I say I am going to spray it green, I havent actually managed to find a period photo of 3335 to verify its livery so I am assuming green and not black.  All I have managed to find so far are pre war photos, and photos of a very nicely finished 7mm model in green with G W R on the tender.  Not exactly a reliable source to go from, but seeing as the Bachmann tender is already lettered for G W R i think it will have to do for now.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A little modelling (and a little shopping) this evening, first up I’ve finally placed an order with Rainbow Railways for my Rapido B Set (Kingsbridge in wartime brown naturally).  Just need to decide if I will get a second for the other Kingsbridge set that I still can’t verify the livery for.

Then onto some modelling, until I sort some paint the curved frame Bulldog is in limbo.  However a delivery from Bachmann Spares today gives me the parts to finish off Nightingale.  

As I’ve said before, this is a very old model a fair amount of which has been scratch built.  Getting it running with anything other than its original design would have been tricky.  (Which would have also kept its too small wheels.)

However as mentioned previously given it doesn’t need to power itself the Bachmann Dukedog chassis was the way to go (for less than a set of Gibson wheels!)

the boiler section at the front of the chassis block was chopped off with a hacksaw, the gear removed from the axle and a basic keeper plate fitted into position.

3.5 mm spacers were needed on each end of the chassis (which also gave something to screw into for the body fixing and bogie mount).   While the axle slots needed opening slightly to match the new parts.

All that remains is to attach the bogie properly to the front of the new chassis block, and to add some sort of loco to tender linkage (as well as reattach a broken tender step)

For a loco that has to be at least good ten years older than I am, I’m pleased with the end result, looking forward to seeing it on the front of a King and a set of coaches

IMG_9429.jpeg

IMG_9430.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Just need to decide if I will get a second for the other Kingsbridge set that I still can’t verify the livery for.

Buy one and you'll find out.

5 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

on the front of a King and a set of coaches

Would it have been in front of or inside the King?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:.

Would it have been in front of or inside the King?

I think on the front, certainly the few photos I have seem to suggest this.  Im pretty sure @The Stationmaster has written about this in detail somewhere on the forum.  Will have to try and find it again

Excited that by the summer I should have two bulldogs in service (even if only one will be able to work under its own power).   Hopefully will be able to get my Mitchell Manor to at least freely roll to

add a third option, though I’m thinking seriously about rebuilding its chassis so it will actually work on its own…)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Found it in short for passenger trains

On 02/02/2023 at 11:54, The Stationmaster said:

Any 4-6-0  or  4-4-0 type may be used and must be coupled in front of the train engine.

More details in Mike's full post linked below

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nightingale is now finished, while repairing the tender steps I noticed how crude the rear buffers were, so these were removed and the holes opened up to accept a set of turned brass ones.

a simple wire loop was added for the loco to tender connection.

the boiler is of course too fat a diameter for a Bulldog, not a lot that can be done about it other than keeping it away from the curved frame version with its scale boiler.   I could easily just sell this on for a healthy profit and buy the bits to make a better one, but I’ve grown rather attached to this old thing.

IMG_9435.jpeg

IMG_9434.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2