pre BR first generation DMU railcar development (not steam)

I'm not going to hunt out data sheets, and work it all out, but based on generalities, I think that things would work like this:

- Honda engine whizzing round at much higher rpm than the 1937 one (which is how it develops the same power in much smaller space);

- much higher gear ratios necessary to obtain both the required torques and speeds at the road wheels;

- might be an issue with the spacing of ratios in the gearbox, and probably a need for lots of closely-spaced ratios;

- we might be able to half-inch a gearbox from a small motorcycle;

- might be better to use a continuously-variable-ratio drive, perhaps integrating wheels, or an electric transmission, so maybe we should fit a small "building site generator" package, electronic controller, and electric motor!

One of my brothers has done a full resto on a Berkeley "sports" car, which has a Villiers 300 CC two stroke engine, developing a massive 18hp, and a close-ratio gearbox, essentially a light motorcycle drive package, and a very lightweight body. It is one of hundreds of "microcar" types that followed the logic I'm propounding.

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/berkeley-t60.html

BTW, I've realised I'm doing a 1937 Austin 7 a disservice, because by then the engine size had been increased to 10.5hp, so our comparator had better be an earlier model, which actually was 7hp!

K

PS: Well, blow me! I've found a standard production golf buggy, with our trusty Honda GX200 engine! So, basically, Japanese chaps have already marketed what I'm trying to convince you will work. https://www.gumtree.com/p/plant-tractors/ezgo-petrol-golf-buggy-with-honda-engine-gx200-in-good-condition-ideal-for-stables-farm-large-estate/1168995022

And,here is the go (a lot) faster version https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ED7xl4BkRYg

My (elderly 'woodman's axe') Countax ride-on mower has a 13HP Honda single cylinder aircooled petrol engine belt driving a 'hydrostatic' rear axle (with a long lever that goes from a wide range of forward speeds pushed forward then through stationary to very limited reverse movement when pulled back .

"Any good to you Squire ?" (while nonchalantly kicking slowly deflating front tyre).

I'd prefer the plastic Berkley for installation rather than the Austin Ruby. Would I simply need a different pair of driving belt pulley sizes to achieve a speed of 30 mph (lever fully forward) on level track  tarmac?

And how much would steel wheel on steel rail make all the difference between limited success and complete failure as compared to tyres on tarmac?

dh

EDIT

Having seen the videos added to K's preceding post, I think I'll wait for the self driving Googlemobile :O

post-21705-0-14466900-1466183987.jpg

Having been working on the last Timeline doc for post WWII pre BR DMU diesel railcar development, I realise there is much more of significance about the ex NCC UTA engineers with big ideas but virtually no money from Stormont, forced into 'make do and mend' adaptation of their existing motley collection of rolling stock Ancient and Modern 

From 'Multi Engine Diesel Railcars of the UTA'  by Colm Flanaghan; Backtrack Vol 2 no.9, September 2013

Engineer James Courtney plans a fleet of trains to operate an intensive service on the former BCDR Belfast-Bangor line; six coach or even longer trains would be desirable..

• 1951 Initial 3 car experimental set developed ‘in house’ from pre-war NCC/LMS cars. The MED train had a ‘spiral’ method of wiring enabling cars to be freely substituted and remarshalled via coupling sockets.
  • 1952 first MED trains entered service. UTA determinedy road bus oriented thus MED trains had to utilise bus components and technology: seats and engines.
    2 x 125hp Leyland engines mounted horizontally at the centre of the car, in sequence engine/clutch/torque converter/2 speed gearbox/ direct drive to final drive on inside axle of each bogie. Gearbox permanently locked to lower 55mph speed
  • 1953 Bangor-Belfast line fully dieselised
  • 1954 full fleet in service, modern appearance with sliding doors, yet most rebuilt from former loco hauled stock.

Because in-house built (rather than bought in like GNR(I) and CIE), UTA/NCC had reputation for ‘no two cars the same’. Modifications are draught lobbies, installation of toilets, repositioning and treatment of driving cabs to deliver double ended single ‘bubble’ cars, two car units for off peak, and four car units with replacement uprated engines and two unpowered cars. The fitting of corridor connections between trains for ‘conductor’ operation, gives potential for ‘infinitely’ long assemblies for excursions etc. Though rarely worked beyond Ballymena to Portrush and Derry.

Later, as Leyland Lysholm Smith torque converters aged they were replaced by Wilson epicyclic self changing gears transmission.

Last MEDs scrapped in 1978, though some converted for parcels last into early 1980s. Because of blue asbestos, non get preserved.

dh

The last section of this thread's timeline for the various pre BR DMUs referred to has now been loaded into post #103

I didn't receive any suggestions as to how better software could have been chosen to this load into RMweb, so it stays as a PrtSc paste of a table complied in Word.

But I've already received suggestions for amendments and additions to the Timelines, but they will have to wait a while until I can add them.

dh

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Colm Flanagan also wrote a most interesting detailed mechanical account of the UTA Bangor line diesel MED units in Backtrack magazine (Vol 27 no 9) September 2013.

These ran past the bottom of my folk’s garden during their time in Ireland, though I am ashamed to say got short shrift when whenever we visited – I much preferred the steam excursions with GNR 0-6-0s or NCC tanks that still ran past on public holidays. UTA seemed at its absolute nadir – a lot of the old GNR(I) network up to Derry through Omagh was being abandoned at the time.

Colm explains how the UTA engineers had to cobble together their Multi Engined Diesels on a self help basis at York Road from their experiences with the NCC diesels.

UTA MED diesel.jpg

The trains had a modern look with horizontal ribbed panels and sliding doors, yet were constructed by adapting archaic carriage frames. They appeared in 1954, two years before the Derby Lightweights.

dh

Archived