Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Spoilt for Choice?

edcayton

I don't know if I am alone in this, but with the plethora of excellent models being released in 00 these days I really don't know which to buy-my layout is deliberately non-specific, set in a fairly elastic 1960.

The result is that I've stopped buying 00 and am starting (like many here) to dabble in 0 gauge. Who can resist a Terrier? So a circle of settrack is about 6'6" diameter so maybe....above the 00? I am just a buyer and dirtier of loco's but most of my wagons are Airfix kits. Just building up the courage to spend £50 on a Slater's brake van in 0 gauge.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

I fully understand the problems Ed.

I have not (yet) been tempted by 0 gauge, but I have put some firm stakes in the ground about what will fit and what can be rejected - no matter how nice, pretty, impressive etc.

I am now down to 8 firm stakes!

And just to show how firm and restrictive I am being, one of those is North Midlands ca 1905 - 18 so allowing MR, LNWR, GCR, GNR, H&B, NER, L&YR and just possibly permissive running of GER.

I started to dabble in O Gauge back in '88 and never bothered with OO since, it becomes addictive. So be warned!!! Ed, which Slaters brake van has caught your attention? Some of their kits are a mixture of plastic, etched brass and lost wax brass. Suspect their brake vans are, but I have not built a BV from their range, but am tempted by the SECR one.

The LNER/BR 20 ton van, same as the Airfix one in 00. Have you come across one, or anyone who has built one?

Ed

Not built that one. Did the Midland 6 wheeler, and although a good kit, and mostly plastic, it was, for whatever reason, quite challenging and took a while to finish to my satisfaction. Mind you, I think brake vans generally are second only to tank wagons in terms of hard-to-get-it-just-as-I-want-it.

I've a feeling though that there's a write up on the LNER/BR van somewhere. Possibly on this very site.

(As an aside, the easiest brake van I have built in 7mm was an etched kit - the D&S GC four wheeler.)

Archived