Class 14?

rorz101uk

Guest 838rapid

If you have a look on the Heljan thread, and scroll to the class 14 thread you can see it has been started.

Redgate models has fitted a locsound micro into the cab and has been sorting the sounds required.

Hope this helps

• RMweb Gold

I've not fitted a Loksound to my 14 yet, but I have a 98% complete project that I'm getting vetted by a 14 driver next week. I'll take it to Churchrail on Saturday if anyone wants a listen wink.gif

Fitting the decoder will probably mean hard wiring and getting rid of the standard PCB to make room, then some serious surgery under the short bonnet to get a decent speaker in ....

Hi

I have 2, 1 will have sound, 1 just std dcc. Almost every loco I work on I pull out the PCB board so thats a good thing you are doing. Now the micro if you are willing can be mounted in a couple of places. As a very last resort I would put it in the cab.

Options

1. Leave PCB in, mount decoder in cab and speaker in body, or speaker in cab decoder in body. One point on the PCB, the 8 pin terminals at the bottom are only about 0.5mm from the chassis, I suspect if decoder mounted wrong you will get shorts.

2 if you have a dremil (or access to a mill etc) I suggest modify the weight, Body, chassis) and make room there. I have outlined in black what I plan to remove. I will replace it with lead elsewhere.

Dont be shy I have taken a 4" angle grinder to a Bachmann 9f Evening Star and on the other side of the coin put a Farish chassis up on a CNC mill to machine.

Class 14 with PCB removed....lots of room for decoder and speaker.

017.jpg

016.jpg

All above the black line will be removed + get rid of that screw housing.

018.jpg

This is a Bachmann 3mt you can see where I have removed some of the chassis to mount the loksound, same principal.

002.jpg

This is a classic example of after removing all the "electronic junk, housings, mounts etc" from a class 141 how much room you can get in a small diesel. This allowed me to add a second motor and decoder for fan forced smoke + sound.

015.jpg

Take a chance, you can do almost anything if you put your mind to it. If you think you have the skills remove the clutter, make a spot and you will find you can mount a decoder in just about any loco.

Finally has anyone got photos of the interior of a class 14 as I want to paint in detail it and add some working cab and dash lights.

Hope that helps.

m

• RMweb Gold

very nice! Can't wait for a sound to be a release!

Well, those who listened at Churchrail were okay with the sound file if not the loco it was sitting in laugh.gif . So, if my tame 14 driver gives it the thumbs up this week then I'll finalise it and make it available. I ought to do a test install first though ......

• RMweb Gold

I'll see what I can do at the Nottm show, I will however, all being well, have a Loksound Micro in my class 14 on Summat Colliery. I will be able to blow the sound onto anyone else's decoders (buy them from Digitrains!) for a tenner while you wait biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

OK, final tweaks done, just waiting for a Loksound Micro from Digitrains, arriving tomorrow. Will blow and fit to my NCB class 14 and test.

Function list will be as follows;

F1 Sound on/off

F2 Horn, two tone short

F3 Horn, two tone long

F4 Horn, Single

F5 Horn, two tone soft

F6 Shunt mode/Acceleration, deceleration cancel

F7 Conductor whistle

F8 Sanding

F9 Brake release

Come along to the Nottm show and have a listen, bring a Loksound Micro and get the sounds blown for a tenner cool.gif

• RMweb Gold

Just loaded the final project onto a Loksound Micro and it's all systems go. The volume level is not as loud as on a normal 3.5 (but only just!) and the sound is as expected a little tinnier with the smaller speaker. I guess some things you have to put up with to get sound into such a small loco.

I've not put it in the loco yet, I forgot that the micro has a 6 pin plug, will rewire tonight onto an 8 pin and fit it all in the cab.

Laptop is all set up ready for Nottingham biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Right, all systems go, 8 pin plug soldered on and decoder/speaker installed in the cab. It's not pretty, you can see the decoder through the windows and the sound is oddly muffled and hollow because the roof is working as a very odd sound chamber, but it's all in with minimal modification.

It really needs the speaker mounting in it's enclosure and placing under the fan in the long bonnet. As others have posted already, that means a hard wiring job and some chassis surgery. No time for this before the weekend though.

Best way to "drive" the sounds as follows

F1, loco starts up and idles

F9 - brake release

Increase speed to step 10 (for 28 speed steps)

As engine revs up and falls hit F5 to sound a short horn blast just before loco moves off.

Sound scheme also includes brake squeal that operates when loco is slowing down quickly and 3 random sounds that operate when the loco is moving:

rail clank

flange squeal

valve release

So, come along to the Nottm Show (you should be attending anyway!) listen to the loco, get a Loksound Micro and I'll blow the sounds to it for a tenner biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi there - I'm following this with interest as I have a 14 ripe for sound but I'm aware that Heljan locos can draw a lot of current and the Micro is only 0.5 amps. Some one in the US reported that when lights and sound are on an HO loco and the loco is working with a micro the loco cuts out as the decoder has an overload protector. I've used one successfully with a Bachmann pannier but obviously there's no lighting to handle.

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Larger Heljan locos are current hungry, the Class 14 is not so. Hattons recommend a Hornby decoder which has a similar current spec to the Loksound Micro.

It ran (light) round my home layout with lots of gradient and rad 1 curves for an hour last night with lights and sound on (full) without any issues.

You could fit a standard 3.5 with surgery and removal of the Heljan PCB, not sure you'd get a bigger speaker in though, you are limited to 16mm diameter round types or the standard 50440 that comes with the Micro, you could possibly fit the twin 16mm round speaker enclosure in the short bonnet, but where does the sound come out?

Archived