RMweb

Ferme du Pont ~ WDLR 1918 ~ 0-14

robb1090

• 2 weeks later...

Looked on Google maps all around Barastre and can't even find the river, could the photo be captioned wrong?

Great bit of film 

Judging by the barge it could be the canal du nord that runs close by or more likely the canal de la somme which runs the other side of barastre. In the film you could see an intact bridge which might indicate that the area had not been subject to german attack.

Just to let you know that the Railwy Gazette books started being shipped last week - there are quite a number of orders to process, but I think most of the pre-orders were sent out over the last couple of days.....

Thanks, we're looking forward to that one, we also have a couple of copies of the forthcoming railway gazette reprint pre ordered.

Currently working on the pontoon, photos to follow soon

Thanks,

Both of our copies have now arrived :yahoo:

We're fairly sure the photo caption was wrong.

I have all but finished the first part of the pontoon (a week ago....), I'll try and post a photo later, the next section is an end piece and is going to take a bit longer to make.

(Curves in 3 directions rather than 1.....)

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

My first order of duckboards arrived yesterday, so far I have managed to assemble 40 of them

post-6837-0-04395100-1382911020_thumb.jpg

Only about another 45 of them to go from this batch...

If we end up loading wagons with these we're going to need more than 100 per wagon

Mike

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update on the pontoon.

By the end of last night I had largely completed the framing for the end of the pontoon.

post-6837-0-31472800-1386199855.jpg

post-6837-0-51632700-1386199868.jpg

This evening I managed to get one side covered, the other shouldn't be far behind.

post-6837-0-54660100-1386199882.jpg

post-6837-0-54717500-1386199892.jpg

Then its on to detailing it.

Mike

• Like 5

Mike -

Regarding the duckboards - you mentioned that they were 10.5 mm x 49 mm.  Trusting that to be for 43.5 scale, I make the proto size as 18.5" x 83".  However, the photo you posted of them being loaded aboard a small wagon on a turntable suggests that they're about at long as the figures are tall, which would indicate somewhere around 6' - or slightly less.  I suspect precut components for these were not shipped from England, but that they were instead "designed", sourced, and built as needed in each advanced area - with the actual construction carried out some ways back, as we often see them arriving by train.  I believe I've read that this was often assigned to the Chinese laborers.

I also noticed that your "runners" are parallel to the ends of the walkway boards, while most of the photos seem to show them angled such that there is one "narrow" and one "wide" end, to allow overlap (even while "turning") at the connecting point.  I can see how your arrangement also allows this, but wonder if it was a less common standard?

thanks, Charles

Hi Charles,

It could be a less common design, although I am working from a dimensioned drawing which also includes the A frames used to both space the duckboards off the bottom of a trench and hold boards in place to stabilise the sides of the trench.

They scale at 7' by 18", although that is over the timber runners length wise, the boards cover between 6' and 6'6" of that.

I agree that they would have been made locally, there were some fairly extensive forestry operations going on and a number of sawmills to try and cope with demand for timber.

I have made a bit more progress on the pontoon, I am now at the detailing stage:

post-6837-0-54738100-1386591371.jpg

post-6837-0-03225800-1386591380.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Edited by 49395
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A little bit of a rolling stock update.

I'm in the process of converting a batch of wrightlines E class wagons into F class wagons by cutting the sides down to the solebars.

Then they'll need stanchions adding and a few other details.

So far I have most of the body of the first wagon soldered together.

post-6837-0-18514500-1396474401_thumb.jpg

After I've got the first one built there should be a batch of another 7 to do, some of which may get brackets added to carry field guns.

Mike

• Like 4

The pontoon is built entirely (so far) out of plasticard sheet between 5 and 20 thou thick to a plan in a WW1 bridging manual.

There has been a fair bit of trial and error with it and cutting bits oversize to start with, then trimming down to fit.

I'm pleased with how it's going so far but I'm not sure I'd like to build another.

Edited by 49395

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike

Really impressed with the pontoons you have made. Could you please give me the details of the manual you got the plans from I would like to try and put together a couple of these for the layout I am working on.

Many thanks

Wayne

NZ

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on progress.

I've managed to finish a large part of one of the farm buildings

post-6837-0-21452100-1399236987.jpg

Apologies for the poor photo, I ran out of light...

This will be placed between the loops and the road.

Still do do are the sliding doors at the right hand end, a pair of double doors in the centre and windows.

Then on to painting

The farm house isn't too far behind, the main shell is fabricated and scribed, it now needs a first floor adding and then doors, windows and roof.

Mike

Edited by 49395
  • Like 4

This is where I've got to with the farmhouse

post-6837-0-46138800-1399330781_thumb.jpg

The ground floor windows of the house this is loosely based on all conveniently have shutters, I have finished fitting these and I am now working on the doors.

All of the farm buildings at this end if the layout are based on real structures in Acq, just outside Arras.

The barn is an almost completely faithful copy, with a few slight tweaks, the farmhouse has a different style of roof to the building it is based on.

Making sure the style of building is appropriate for the chosen area of France has been made a lot simpler by street view.

Mike

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of photos that I took today at Goathland, although not finished the lads are making superb progress and this will be a layout to look out for. The stonework on Ben's bridge is spot on!

post-7104-0-02443200-1405790531_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-85645700-1405790542_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...