Clevedon - WCPR

ullypug

• RMweb Premium

This all started on the old RM Web, but has taken an age to get going whist I deliberated what to do. As well as Wheal Elizabeth, my other layout's a model of Weston-super-Mare's Ashcombe Road terminus on the WC&PR, that's Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway to the uninitiated. Built as a light railway, it opened from Weston to Clevedon in 1899 and extending to Portishead in 1907.

I've now decided to do Clevedon in about 1936-38 as it was the headquarters of the line and where the engine sheds were.

Anyway, baseboard construction has commenced using extruded polystyrene a la Gordon Gravett with a ply frame. Photos and a trackplan should appear below.

The eventual layout will be in EM to match my existing stock. The layout will be 5.0m long with a taper from 0.6 to 0.3m, with a fiddle yard at each end. It should (if all goes well) fit into a car.

I'm still debating the method of operation. It's been designed to have a full height proscenium arch like Wheal Elizabeth using the same lighting but it'll be slightly lower as I'm going to fit integral legs and that obviously dictates. It'll probably be DCC, probably NCE but that's a way ahead yet. Track will be flat bottomed code 55 on copperclad as it's the closest match for the original.

Anyway, comments welcome and updates will follow either here on on my blog.

post-6673-126773954298_thumb.jpg

post-6673-126773960297_thumb.jpg

post-6673-126773966124_thumb.jpg

post-6673-126773967654_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I for one will be very interested to see this. I have enjoyed the quality of both your Wheal Elizabeth and WC&PLR layouts, both at the Clevedon show I think, so will be very keen to see how you develop the Clevedon end - not least because I live not far away! Will this layout be entirely separate from your existing WC&P layout or will you eventually join the two together?

What prompted me to search out your latest post was reading the attached clip from Model Rail Magazine (hopefully they won’t mind me sticking this here). I can’t remember what rolling stock you had on the WC&P layout as it was a while ago that I last saw it, and you may already know about this product anyway! It just surprised me that you can actually buy, off the shelf (albeit a very distant shelf!!), a kit of something so unusual! (no personal links to this product etc etc !! .... just read about it in the magazine and immediately thought of your layout!)

Will you be at the next Nailsea MRC show in Clevedon? (next weekend if memory serves….?)

post-7266-126920751848_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi

thanks very much for the kind comments.

The plan at the moment is not to try and link Weston and Clevedon, as they'll be viewed from different aspects; Weston from the south and Clevedon the north. Never say never though!

The baseboards are almost done. Just legs and bracing to add. I'll post some pics when I can.

I had seen the advert for the second Muir Hill tractor and milk trailer. I've modelled both, though not with the refinement of the etched brass kit.

Steam and Things do a lot of light railway kits, mainly the KESR and Selsey Tram and they're very nice. One thing about the Muir Hill kit though, it isn't motorised and isn't much bigger than the image on the screen. I used a tenshodo spud motor bogie for mine, but it is a tad responsive to the controller to say the least.

The Clevedon show is next weekend. I'm not exhibiting but will go and visit at some point as it's just up the road.

• RMweb Premium

Boards are progressing. Main board has a pair of folding legs. All boards done but needs the legs to finish off. These will piggy back off the main board. I've used 50mm thick Trylon extruded polystyrene foam boards with 4mm ply sides and 9mm ply ends.

post-6673-126980416199_thumb.jpg

post-6673-126980418189_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived