Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Daleford - A rural Midland/Western region middle station

Some more progress over the past few days.

I have now started with the papier macheing. Overall I am quite pleased with how it is turning out. A few areas need patching etc. but its all good so far.

post-24746-0-17163200-1470134766_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-04146000-1470134774_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-78191900-1470134781_thumb.jpg

I have also continued with the electronics side and have wire up the control panel to the terminal blocks and should hopefully get round to getting the whole thing wired up this week.

post-24746-0-80855700-1470134786_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Apologies for the lack of updates recently but work on the layout has been slow due to job demands and the fact that any progress hasn't warranted an update but I'm still here and still plugging away at it slowly!

So without further ado...

attachicon.gifDSC01489.JPG

... work on the landscaping has almost been completed with the road section in the final stretches as well as the centre part needing doing once I have completed the Metcalfe 'Manor Farm' kits

attachicon.gifDSC01490.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01492.JPG

The lineside landscaping is now complete and awaits papier mache.

A question for anyone knowledgable. I have worked out where the signal to control one of the station approaches should go but am unsure what side it should be on. I think it should be on the left of the line but could be wrong. Please could you advice. Thanks.

attachicon.gifeither or.jpg

Signal on the left of the running line is correct for WR/LMR practice, the layout is looking very good, you seem to have the work well planned and thought out - I wish I had room to run a 4 coach train...will follow your progress.

Regards, SIGTECH (Steve).

I really like the way you have made the hills. how did you managed to shape the polystyrene without it falling apart? whenever i have tried th make hills from polystyrene it has crumbled and I've ended up with a small lump f foam rather than a hill... 

I look forward to seeing how this develops. I especially like the wellies in the manor! Shame that poor guy had to lose his feet though!

Signal on the left of the running line is correct for WR/LMR practice, the layout is looking very good, you seem to have the work well planned and thought out - I wish I had room to run a 4 coach train...will follow your progress.

Regards, SIGTECH (Steve).

Glad you like it and thanks for the advice regarding the signalling. The loop only just manages 4 coaches with a tender loco though!!!

I really like the way you have made the hills. how did you managed to shape the polystyrene without it falling apart? whenever i have tried th make hills from polystyrene it has crumbled and I've ended up with a small lump f foam rather than a hill... 

I look forward to seeing how this develops. I especially like the wellies in the manor! Shame that poor guy had to lose his feet though!

Glad you like the progress so far. I use a serrated bread knife (much to the annoyance of my mum) and just use it to cut slices off of the blocks to give the desired shape.

Glad you like the wellies. The little details always make a layout!

yeah.. that is really true. there are way to many layouts that look good from a distance but the detail just isn't there. there are so many easy detailing projects you can do in very little time. i used to like making fake newspapers to make it look like they had blown onto the track and putting labels in car windows at the garage on my old layout.

+1 about parents complaining... i used to use dinner plates for mixing paint on. that really didn't go down well with my mum! my dad also used bug me for using his tools and then not putting them back!

yeah.. that is really true. there are way to many layouts that look good from a distance but the detail just isn't there. there are so many easy detailing projects you can do in very little time. i used to like making fake newspapers to make it look like they had blown onto the track and putting labels in car windows at the garage on my old layout.

+1 about parents complaining... i used to use dinner plates for mixing paint on. that really didn't go down well with my mum! my dad also used bug me for using his tools and then not putting them back!

I get the same thing with tools as well!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The layout has been progressing well over the past few days (although it doesn't look it) with the fitting and wiring up of the Dapol motorised signals as well as the final blocks of polystyrene being stuck down.

I had hoped to do a running video with the signals but one has failed so is on its way back to Hattons for a replacement.

post-24746-0-17607300-1472294909_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-34112800-1472294916_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-17356200-1472294923_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Given that I have now half completed the scenery painting my thoughts have now turned to adding some greenery and was wondering what was the best way to go about applying static grass effectively.

Also what are anyone's opinions on green scene textured paints and what would be the best colour for mud?

• Like 1

Given that I have now half completed the scenery painting my thoughts have now turned to adding some greenery and was wondering what was the best way to go about applying static grass effectively.

Also what are anyone's opinions on green scene textured paints and what would be the best colour for mud?

I think they are quite good, though slightly hard to apply and you might want to repaint them or weather them down a bit. I used them for the Road on Compton Martin and it really looks the part. 

I think they are quite good, though slightly hard to apply and you might want to repaint them or weather them down a bit. I used them for the Road on Compton Martin and it really looks the part. 

Thanks for the advice. I have seen a couple of pictures of the stuff on Compton Martin and it looks the part for concrete. Mud on the other hand is a whole different kettle of fish! Will have a play around and see what I can come up with before forking out for some paint

After going to my local models shop ( Transport Models Preston) to pick up supplies to have been having a play around with the ballast and static grass that I bought.

Overall it went quite well and I am pleased with how the grass stands with the puffer bottle. As I am only using short static grasses I think I won't be needing an applicator.

The ballast however is a bit iffy as I had some fine grey left over so added a bit to the Woodland Scenics Medium Grey blend but added a bit too much resulting in all the fine grain sitting in between the sleepers. This is only a test so I have learnt my lesson.

post-24746-0-70705100-1473185322_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-12927100-1473185329_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-24458200-1473185336_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-53146100-1473185342_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This morning I started with some ballasting and so far I am quite pleased with how it has turned out but the fun bit is yet to come with the station still needing doing.

post-24746-0-21486300-1473331956_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-01039500-1473331962_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-30166000-1473331967_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-57666800-1473331974_thumb.jpg

I also received some Woodland Scenics trees yesterday and have placed a few on the layout to see what it will look like. I am also aiming to create a small orchard for the farm.

post-24746-0-05478900-1473332172_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-26478000-1473332179_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Wow! That looks stunning mate! What materials did you use and is the grass on top of a ballast under layer? 

Glad you like it, I am quite pleased with it myself given that it is my first go.

I used the Noch moorland grass (bit weird I know but it is a nice colour) with some Woodland Scenics fine earth and green scatters as well as clump foliage for the bush things and cut up Woodland Scenics tufts for the little grass shoots.

The pictures don't really show it from this angle but it has a light ballast underlayer as I wanted it to look like it had been ballasted but was becoming overgrown

• 1 month later...