A Manning Wardle F

Hi I'm nearing completion of this diminutive Loco so thought I'd post a few pictures

post-28151-0-58358800-1457391294_thumb.jpgpost-28151-0-13655900-1457391337_thumb.jpgpost-28151-0-03967600-1457391355_thumb.jpg

I'm mystified as to why Slaters have such poor advertising artwork for this kit as it's a little cracker. It hasn't been too much of a challenge apart from the usual lack of space behind the crossheads. I got round this by soldering some 1.2mm brass tube into the crankpin bushes before tapping them 12ba and screwing them onto the crankpins after the rods were in place. There's also no guidance on motor and gearbox but a Markits box (4mm to suite the 1/8 axle diameter) presents a Mashima 1626 straight up the firebox

I'm slowly getting to grips with my bow pen so attempted some simple lining and added a driver from the Heroes of the Footplate range sold by Invertrain

post-28151-0-36094900-1457391973_thumb.jpg

And now I'm just waiting for some works plates to arrive from Narrow Planet while I get on with the next Loco (an 85a 15" Hunslet)

post-28151-0-63587300-1457391996_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Darren

you've made a very good job of this, would you kindly post some photos of the chassis as I have one to salvage which someone else started + I aim to finish.

Thanks

Dava

Thank you kind sirs - I'll unscrew it and take a few pictures of the chassis for you asap. I should have added that I ditched the rocking axle arrangement and soldered the front bearings in, added Slaters plungers for the pickup's and knocked up a (very) basic representation of the inside motion to add a bit of interest

You've made a really nice job of this loco. To give a little more space for the crossheads I spaced the cylinder assemblies out by the thickness of some of the scrap etch. Bodging not engineering though, but it did work very well.

John.

I also had to space the cylinders out and that flimsy chassis and the silly folded brass and wire arrangement for the rocking axle was the downfall of mine. It's a nice enough kit above the running plate but below it's rubbish. Mine will evantually get milled brass frames with proper suspension.

Archived