LNER J83 / Holmes NBR D class drawing

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I am looking for a scale drawing of the tank engine referenced in the topic title.  I am fairly sure that one was published in 7mm scale, possibly in the late 1960s.  Can anyone tell me where I might find one, or even be able to supply a scan?

I have always wanted to have a go at updating the Hornby model however I know that it is too tall (especially in the area of the cab), and that the chassis has the wrong wheelbase.  I have seen the great work done here by others, especially in replacing the rtr chassis with a Hornby one however I wondered if there was another chassis that would be closer in size (e.g. pannier, or 1F).  This is where the drawing would come in.

Many thanks for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

The Pannier has a matching15'6" overall wheelbase and 4'7.5" rather than 4'6" wheel diameter. (Without benefit of drawing I suspect the J83 wb is 7'6"+8' rather than the 7'3"+8'3" of the pannier, but a centre coupled wheel a millimetre too far forward isn't going to be very apparent with no splasher as a giveaway.) If going for a RTR mechanism the Bachmann is a good bet, compact motor mounting peaking about 34mm above rail top, and with 18mm diameter wheels scale for the J83; the forward casting for the underside of the boiler is a screw attached piece which aids fitting into other bodies. And it's a got a neatly arranged drive with a sprung centre axle for decent current collection.

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Thank you, gentlemen, for all that information and advice.

I have had a look at the drawing in the link, and the cab is a lot lower than on the Hornby model; as the latter will need new front and rear to the cab that should not be a great problem.  The real challenge will be the continuous handrail along the boiler side and smokebox front!

Once again, many thanks for the help.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex,

I am afraid that the Hornby J83 just fits where it touches. It gives an impression of a J83. Originally Triang it was an attempt to get another loco onto the "Jinty" chassis. The new chassis is the best bit about it albeit slightly wrong. I attach part of a pencil drawing, prepared originally to produce brass patterns. It is based on the GA drawing and the fact that when this was done prototype information was easy, they were still working, our nearest were still shunting the docks at Burntisland. Despite it's age the old GEM cast kit is more accurate.

best wishes,

Ian

post-15427-0-23139700-1457557839_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the drawing and additional comments.  As I do not currently own a Hornby J83 I'll have a look at the GEM one.  Not quite sure why I want to build a J83 as they are outside my area of interest!

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex,

If you live in Leith then perhaps the interest in a J83 is an inherited area interest thing. IIRC Haymarket had five and St. Margarets ten. Two or three station pilots at the Waverly and the rest shunting about between all of the little goods yards and industrial sidings in the Edinburgh/Leith area which are now alas "no more".

best wishes,

Ian

... Not quite sure why I want to build a J83 as they are outside my area of interest!...

Perhaps just because it is such a handsome machine? This may seem perverse but the J72 body may well be a better starting point. A slightly smaller machine but similarly proportioned,  the body of which would 'grow' the requisite amount with the overlays to represent the distinctive styling features of the J83.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps just because it is such a handsome machine? This may seem perverse but the J72 body may well be a better starting point. A slightly smaller machine but similarly proportioned,  the body of which would 'grow' the requisite amount with the overlays to represent the distinctive styling features of the J83.

Hi again,

Thanks for the J72 suggestion - a bit of interesting lateral thinking.  I think there were a few J72s around Edinburgh and Thornton but I would have to go back and look that up.  I may have a decent drawing of one, so I'll compare it to the J83.

Ian, thanks for the additional comment and suggestion.  I have seen the pics of the Waverley pilots in LNER and BR green, and think they look really smart.  You are right about there being very little railway infrastructure left in use here; thankfully bits can still be seen from the walkway/cycleway that uses much of the original trackbed.  Newhaven and Trinity station buildings also still exist, with the former an office, while the latter is a private dwelling.  The line into Leith docks has had a raft of container flats parked on it for around 5-years, so no traffic there.

Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

2 links to magazine that have articles on J83's

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/steam-days-magazine-september-2010-issue.html?&cat=0

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/steam-days-magazine-september-1998-issue.html?&cat=0

I haven't seen either issue, so wouldn't like to comment.

• 3 months later...

Archived