Hornby European Ranges

Hroth

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody know why the Rivarossi ETR450 model is so much more expensive than the ETR480 and the Lima ETR610? Presumably the ETR450 is a full fat high spec model whereas the ETR450 and ETR610 are more budget orientated however from the pictures on the website both of the economy models look nicely done. I’m wondering how much difference there is in terms of detail and quality to justify the much higher price of the ETR450.

Does anybody know why the Rivarossi ETR450 model is so much more expensive than the ETR480 and the Lima ETR610? Presumably the ETR450 is a full fat high spec model whereas the ETR450 and ETR610 are more budget orientated however from the pictures on the website both of the economy models look nicely done. I’m wondering how much difference there is in terms of detail and quality to justify the much higher price of the ETR450.

I am firmly convinced that Hornby believe they can charge more for a Rivarossi model over a Lima or Jouef one. The Jouef model of the French X 73900 (HR2018) used to sell for about £120, but the Rivarossi DBAG BR 641 (HR2048) sold for about £170. Only difference is the livery.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

The Lima Expert models are brand new and I understand have been designed by the Hornby Italia team rather than the main design team for the international brands, which is Electrotren in Spain. They seem to be a good compromise between detail and ease of assembly to keep prices down. I think the ETR450 is a reworking of an older model so presumably has lots more small parts making assembly more expensive.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at pictures on the web the Rivarossi ETR480 and Lima ETR610 both look very good considering the low price. The Rivarossi ETR450 looks quite superb however I'm not sure it looks more than twice as good as the other two in line with the price difference.

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking at the Pierre Dominique website. Some real bargains on Jouef so I think Hornby must have been having a good clearout of the warehouse beyond what is on the Hornby website.

Wanted to look at Jura Modelisme site as well but down for maintenance this morning.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at pictures on the web the Rivarossi ETR480 and Lima ETR610 both look very good considering the low price. The Rivarossi ETR450 looks quite superb however I'm not sure it looks more than twice as good as the other two in line with the price difference.

They all look nice enough but there seems to be a lack of additional cars to make the units up to full length. If a modeller is interested in the finer details, first thing is to make sure that the complete train is available.

Vitrains have made an odd mistake on this too. Their new VB2N stock comes as two cars or four cars whereas the real thing was 5 or 7. Unless you buy enough to make up two sets (or can do a swap with someone), you're stuck with an extra car.

Archived