Tram layout wiring help

Earl Bathurst

Evening all

I am in the process of building a tram layout, ( i will attach a diagram of the track). I am so used to wiring DCC  that im not 100% when it comes to DC. If anyone could help that would be great.

A tram will run into the head shunt then go out on the other line so i will need 2 controllers but i am not sure about insulating and switching or what i will have to do.

Kind Regards

Scott

post-267-0-02598200-1457728642_thumb.jpg

It seems odd how recently, many people on here are suggesting a less is better philosophy when it comes to wiring.

"Good" DC wiring is exactly the same as DCC wiring. Just adding insulated sections to store unused locos is the difference.

Make sure every piece of rail has power from one source or another.

There is never harm in extra feeds,but there is a harm in not enough.

What kind of points are you using? Electrofrog or ilsulfrog?

Are you using overhead pickup or standard two rail pickup?

And do you intend to ever run more than one powered vehicle on the layout at a time?

Thank you for the replies.

I am going to use rail pick up and i am using code 75 track so it will be electrofrog. I was thinking of 2 controllers as i was going to operating more than one tram at a time so with the extra controller i can work one line on one controller and the second line on the second controller if that makes sense.

• RMweb Gold

So it will be just the same as the wiring for any railway layout with live frog points. All the sections (at least three) will need single-pole double-throw switches with a centre-off position.

You will  need to be able to change the polarity of the live frog by way of a switch linked to the turnout motor.

You don't say what sort of trams you are modelling. If with pantograph, I would  be inclined to  wire the overhead and go for DCC with both rails bonded to the same polarity.

Edit: Just realised that the headshunt will need to be split into two sections so that the trams can pass each other, so four sections or three plus a sub-section. Would it not be better to have a crossover at the right-hand end?

If you are using multiple trams It makes no sense at all to wire this as DC .  It cries out for DCC.    

DC only makes sense if you are operating like a railway with absolute block one train in section. Trams follow each other at close headways so bite the bullet and go DCC and I would use dead frogs as trams bang and crash over pointwork and stop abruptly so slow running is not a requirement.  

Overhead catenary and pantographs is probably the way to go.

I have a Hornby Class 90 electric loco with a live panto and was wondered how to DCC it without having a reverse loop module to take care of polarity if the loco was placed on the track the other way round.

The instructions said never to use the panto for DCC running so the idea died the death.

This investigation was in preparation for DCC ing a tram conversion to run from catenary power.

Having both rails as DCC polarity A with the catenary as DCC polarity B makes sense as long as the loco/tram is suitably modified to handle those pickup arrangements.

• RMweb Gold

Or, if you are limiting yourself to two trams, one could pick up from rail and one from overhead, with return to the other rail. No need then for any sections although there still need to be isolating rail joiners at the frog end of the turnout and preferably some method of switching the frog in case back of the wheels cause a short with blades.

Are we talking four-wheel trams or bogie trams? With bogie trams, you could probably isolate the metal frog.

Archived