Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol BANNANA VANS

paul 27

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul, I guess it would look very similar to my pictures at Post No. 34 in your other thread, as the Bachmann BR Standard 12T Vent Vans (correctly) have the same profile as their BR Standard Fruit Vans, unless you mean a Dapol Banana Van on its original underframe, in which case I can't help as I only have the one and its underframe has been replaced, as per that photograph.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108576-early-Dapol-plywood-vent-van/page-2

But if you do want a comparison between my Dapol Banana Van and  a Bachmann BR Standard 12T Vent Van, I'll see if I can get you a photo.  Or do you mean the other kinds of 12T Vent Vans that Bachmann make (ex LNE, GW, SR)?

• 4 months later...

Hi Paul, I guess it would look very similar to my pictures at Post No. 34 in your other thread, as the Bachmann BR Standard 12T Vent Vans (correctly) have the same profile as their BR Standard Fruit Vans, unless you mean a Dapol Banana Van on its original underframe, in which case I can't help as I only have the one and its underframe has been replaced, as per that photograph.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108576-early-Dapol-plywood-vent-van/page-2

But if you do want a comparison between my Dapol Banana Van and  a Bachmann BR Standard 12T Vent Van, I'll see if I can get you a photo.  Or do you mean the other kinds of 12T Vent Vans that Bachmann make (ex LNE, GW, SR)?

Before I purchase any from Dapol could you show a side shot instead of an angle one, does the replaced underframe sit lower than the Dapol, thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Before I purchase any from Dapol could you show a side shot instead of an angle one, does the replaced underframe sit lower than the Dapol, thanks.

Does this help?  Dapol ( / Wrenn / Hornby Dublo) body on a Red Panda clasp braked underframe, between a Bachmann BR Standard Vanfit (planked sides) and a Bachmann BR Fruit Van.  The Vanfit and the Fruit Van have had tie bars added between the axleguards, and the Fruit Van has had 'ribs' added to the roof.  Pictures of these vans show that these ribs were often fitted to the Fruit Vans (as they were to the Banana Vans) but I'm not sure why - was it possible to hang the load from the roof in these vans?

post-31-0-34715700-1470851106.jpg

Instead of going to all that trouble why not build a Ratio banana kit be more accurate

Because they're models of different types of van:

post-31-0-84474400-1470851145.jpg

Does this help?  Dapol ( / Wrenn / Hornby Dublo) body on a Red Panda clasp braked underframe, between a Bachmann BR Standard Vanfit (planked sides) and a Bachmann BR Fruit Van.  The Vanfit and the Fruit Van have had tie bars added between the axleguards, and the Fruit Van has had 'ribs' added to the roof.  Pictures of these vans show that these ribs were often fitted to the Fruit Vans (as they were to the Banana Vans) but I'm not sure why - was it possible to hang the load from the roof in these vans?

attachicon.gifP1010940.jpg

Because they're models of different types of van:

attachicon.gifP1010941.jpg

Thanks for the pictures can you show a close up with one of the Bachmann wagons please,  did you apply the transfers or are they Dapols,  I have

some spare Bachmann chassis to use I know not typically correct I suppose they would be the same height as the Red Panda.

• RMweb Premium

OK here's a cropped extract from my picture above, just showing the Banana Van and the Bachmann Fruit Van; hope this is answers your question.  As buffer (and hence solebar) heights are the same on all wagons, yes, as you can see, the Red Panda and Bachmann underframes are the same height.  

post-31-0-98464900-1470853163.jpg

The wagon body was painted with Halford's Red Oxide Primer and the transfers are from an old Modelmasters sheet; not sure whether the sheet I used is still available but looks like their sheet 4624 "BR Banana, Gunpowder and Palvans" would fit the bill:

http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/Wagons_BR_1948.php

Alternatively I think Dapol have produced the Banana Van in authentic BR liveries over the years, as well as various spurious ones.

OK here's a cropped extract from my picture above, just showing the Banana Van and the Bachmann Fruit Van; hope this is answers your question.  As buffer (and hence solebar) heights are the same on all wagons, yes, as you can see, the Red Panda and Bachmann underframes are the same height.  

attachicon.gifP1010940 (1).jpg

The wagon body was painted with Halford's Red Oxide Primer and the transfers are from an old Modelmasters sheet; not sure whether the sheet I used is still available but looks like their sheet 4624 "BR Banana, Gunpowder and Palvans" would fit the bill:

Alternatively I think Dapol have produced the Banana Van in authentic BR liveries over the years, as well as various spurious

Alternatively I think Dapol have produced the Banana Van in authentic BR liveries over the years, as well as various spurious ones.

Yes was thinking of purchasing the unpainted bodies as I see you have sanded down the left hand corner plates.

• RMweb Premium

Alternatively I think Dapol have produced the Banana Van in authentic BR liveries over the years, as well as various spurious

Yes was thinking of purchasing the unpainted bodies as I see you have sanded down the left hand corner plates.

I think from memory it was a combination of sanding, and scraping with a scalpel blade - quite a tricky job, if you choose to do it (maybe not strictly necessary?).  I had forgotten, I also added the 'chalk boards' below the 'Banana' inscription from thin Plastikard.

Archived