Railmatch 304 Warning Yellow for 70s BR road vehicles

I am currently working on some resin road vehicle kits which will be painted in BR colours when finished, 'Railmatch' 304 is listed as being a Pre 1983 Warning Yellow.

Does anyone have any experiences/opinions of this paint or is there a different shade of Warning Yellow possibly from a different manufacturer that might be a better match.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Michael

I am currently working on some resin road vehicle kits which will be painted in BR colours when finished, 'Railmatch' 304 is listed as being a Pre 1983 Warning Yellow.

Does anyone have any experiences/opinions of this paint or is there a different shade of Warning Yellow possibly from a different manufacturer that might be a better match.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Michael

My suggestion is give it a try. I use Humbrol 69 myself but there was variation in the shade of yellow over the years. A photo of your chosen model to compare will help.

I think the shade used was lighter than in later years. Anything I can help with photos please ask.

Merf.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michael,

I always use Humbrol Signal Yellow.

post-6887-0-27166400-1457869286_thumb.jpg

The resin body on this one was primed with Halfords Yellow Filler Primer and then topped off with Humbrol Signal Yellow - Gloss.

This does give a slightly paler yellow but it's ideal as a start point for weathering.

This one is a mix of differnt bits all put together to give something like the real thing.

Chassis - Pocket Bond any 2 axle with wheelbase of about 46mm

Cab - Corgi or Hot Wheels Leyland Terrier

Crew Bus body - Jon Hall - resin casting

Bits of plasticard

Glue and Glaze

Decals - Fox (thanks Andy)

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

My suggestion is give it a try. I use Humbrol 69 myself but there was variation in the shade of yellow over the years. A photo of your chosen model to compare will help.

I think the shade used was lighter than in later years. Anything I can help with photos please ask.

Merf.

Hi Merf,

My next BR vehicle is going to be the Terrier Flatbed - just like the one you use as your avatar!

If you have photos - can you share them?

I've been using this drawing as my starting point.

post-6887-0-46664100-1457869526_thumb.gif

Thanks

Merf.

Hi Merf, thanks for the info and for the offer of further help. 

Michael

Hi Michael,

I always use Humbrol Signal Yellow.

attachicon.gifDSCF0001.JPG

The resin body on this one was primed with Halfords Yellow Filler Primer and then topped off with Humbrol Signal Yellow - Gloss.

This does give a slightly paler yellow but it's ideal as a start point for weathering.

This one is a mix of differnt bits all put together to give something like the real thing.

Chassis - Pocket Bond any 2 axle with wheelbase of about 46mm

Cab - Corgi or Hot Wheels Leyland Terrier

Crew Bus body - Jon Hall - resin casting

Bits of plasticard

Glue and Glaze

Decals - Fox (thanks Andy)

Thanks

That's a cracking job you have done there, thank you for your help.

Michael

I'm not sure about lorries but BL/ Austin rover vans were painted a colour called Highway yellow. This was a BL colour not a BR one

The paint code is BLVC1011

Hi,

Thanks for the information, the vehicles I am busy with are four 'Kingfisher Miniatures' Sherpa van kits so as Merf has said I will compare photos with the various colours/shades available.

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Highway yellow is easy to get hold of, some halfords will mix an aerosol but there's plenty of car shops that will mix a small touch up pot you can thin an use with an airbrush

Hi Merf,

My next BR vehicle is going to be the Terrier Flatbed - just like the one you use as your avatar!

If you have photos - can you share them?

I've been using this drawing as my starting point.

attachicon.gifleyland-terrier.gif

Thanks

Some shots of our Terrier. Bottom one when new giving a good indication of the yellow as used in 1980

post-1625-0-79629700-1457910811_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-41163400-1457910815_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-04428200-1457910821_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-02286200-1457910823_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the information, the vehicles I am busy with are four 'Kingfisher Miniatures' Sherpa van kits so as Merf has said I will compare photos with the various colours/shades available.

Michael

A couple of my Sherpa shots from the late 1980s. Unfortunatley I have no shots of the earlier version that Kingfisher does, in my own photos.

post-1625-0-39745200-1457911874_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-16290600-1457911912_thumb.jpg

Hi Merf,

Thanks for posting the Sherpa van photos,  there must have been a few variations of window and door arrangements, I never knew there was a Sherpa van with a nearside sliding door as on F270 GTO.

Michael

Hi Merf,

Thanks for the photos - now just got to find the cab to go with them.

More on the build once I get things going.

Watch this space (or one near here)!

Are the cabs available from 'Road Transport Images'?

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Love the pictures especially the top one. Sheffield was visited round the clock by Sherpa minibuses on the service for traincrew to Tinsley depot.

I suspect the bus here is a DOME one due to the presence of roof bars

• 2 weeks later...

Archived