T9 woes [again]

Prometheus

With regard to the The T9's Achilles' Heel, the motor retainer/worm cover; does anyone know if some enterprising soul has engineered replacements via a 3D printer ? A plastic substitute would seem a sensible and more flexible alternative.

Tony

Unfortunately I have now had 2 customers with this problem  I suspect it might be the same batch of dodgy mazack that caused problems with certain Class 31 models and with the front bogies on Merchant Navy locos.  I have several T9s of my own that I have yet to check but I am fearing the worst.  Having said that it does appear to only affect the earliest, i.e. from 2009, models.

Some contaminated mazak affecting a batch is one possibility. But the other significant possibility is that the design weakness of the part is what leads to this failure, and that is consistent with the older models being more affected.

ISTM there's an aftermarket spare opportunity here, given the paucity of spares supply from Hornby.

I have 3 T9s, all several years old now and none have developed any problems. What is this retainer issue?

In essence, a complete break-up of the motor retainer casting. A disaster if it happens to you as Hornby do not provide these as spares. 

Definitely an opportunity for someone here.

Tony

Looks scary considering my 3 date from the early batches.

Edit: my 3 are 2 from 2008 and 1 from 2009. They all seem to run fine. That said I would recommend not taking the body off to double check as if there is an issue with the Mazak, you can be sure it will certainly snap off when you remove the body. Best wait for the model to show serious running issues first.

The NRM one still carried a receipt, £67, no wonder I brought 3 back then.

Some contaminated mazak affecting a batch is one possibility. But the other significant possibility is that the design weakness of the part is what leads to this failure, and that is consistent with the older models being more affected.

ISTM there's an aftermarket spare opportunity here, given the paucity of spares supply from Hornby.

As it is basically the same design used on most of Hornby's steam locos since 1999 I doubt it is down to the design.  We are currently looking into a repair/fix for the problem and if we come up with an answer we'll let you know what to do.

Archived