6 wheeled milk tankers - Slaters Kit or Dapol RTR ?

muddys-blues

Hello just a quick straight forward question, does anyone have any preferences in which model they prefer in the 6 wheeled milk tankers, Slaters kit built version or Dapol's ready to run offering ?

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Craig

• RMweb Gold

Slaters but you have to build it.

The Slaters ones are of particular types where as the Dapol ones a one tank fits all its not based on any true type I believe.

Just my thoughts others may say different

Mark J

Hi Craig

The Slaters kits are highly detailed, and as a result, quite fiddly to build. POWSides do kits too, as do C&W, I believe. I have one of each of the Slaters and POWSides ones, pleased with both. I was sure I'd posted a picture but I can't find it.

There was some quite bad tempered debate on the Dapol thread, which got locked as a result. The Dapol tankers are "hybrid" if you're being kind, and "mongrel" if you're not. Probably worth a look before you part with your cash.

Best

Simon

Hello Simon and Mark, thank you to you both for the prompt replies, I was edging towards the Slaters kits, and then stumbled across the Dapol model, but as you both point out that it is a mixed model I will probably go for the Slaters kit, they are lovely detailed models " and correct in detail"

It's a great help to get that sort of info as I don't live any where near a model shop to just pop in and have a look.

Craig

I have just been thinking along the same lines as you. I looked at the price of the Dapol ones and thought by the time I had changed the buffers etc I might as well do a kit one. I have ordered a POW Sides one to do in St Ivel white and orange. The postie tried to deliver it today but I was out so should get it tomorrow from the sorting office. Link to their website but be aware that there is a lot on it. http://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides.co.uk/info.php?p=2&cat=0&sought=1

Looking forward to seeing that kit build Brian as I've also got the POWsides kit to do the St Ivel version, have also got 3 Slaters kits to do as well. I decided to get them as I also considered the Dapol model to be to much of one size fits all product.

Rob

Fortunately, I only don't have to worry about moving milk at Cwm Bach. However, I have long been tempted by Fremington on the line from Barnstaple to Torrington and that would be a different matter altogether. Anyway, please post photos as you progress.

Regards,

Chris

I have built a couple of the Slaters tanks and I also put up an in depth build thread http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/3-links-work-bench.1397/ not on this forum but over there on western thunder. If you can find the thread you will see they cannot be built in an evening but if you take your time they turn into a fine model.

Martyn .

Ps there are a couple of photos of them in my gallery.

I have just started in 0 gauge and I don't want to just open boxes. I intend to try to make every vehicle a model of a particular prototype if I can. In any case at 0 gauge prices I can't afford too many! Ask me again when I have built my Slater's brake van in preference to the Dapol one.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing that kit build Brian as I've also got the POWsides kit to do the St Ivel version, have also got 3 Slaters kits to do as well. I decided to get them as I also considered the Dapol model to be to much of one size fits all product.

Rob

Are the pow sides kits not just skaters ones with their own transfers added? That's how the POW 4mm wagons work

Andy

The PoW sides milk tanker is a lot simpler than a Slaters kit. The tank barrel is a plain tube home cast resin not injection molded as Slaters so the details are not as crisp. At the moment though the packing department had an off day and forgot to add the brake blocks and shafts and the tank supports are not large going down to small so the tank slopes, mine are all the same size, but they are sorting it out for me so no problems there.

I have just been thinking along the same lines as you. I looked at the price of the Dapol ones and thought by the time I had changed the buffers etc I might as well do a kit one. I have ordered a POW Sides one to do in St Ivel white and orange. The postie tried to deliver it today but I was out so should get it tomorrow from the sorting office. Link to their website but be aware that there is a lot on it. http://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides.co.uk/info.php?p=2&cat=0&sought=1

Like this Brian ?

post-6992-0-76854500-1458225851.png

I have some old Janick Kits to make. These were I think taken on by Meteor models.and I have some of those also as well as a batch of Slaters which as others have said are very fiddly even if they do look the part. I do have, as some of you will have seen on the recent photos of Black Notley, three of the Dapol tanks. Yes they are hybrid but they look the part so will do for now.

Paul R

Brian I wonder if you could tell me what buffers you would use and what other bits would you change.

Cheers

Steve

Hi guys

As promised, photos of my tankers.

The brown one was purchased ready made from a Slaters kit. To my shame I can't recall the builder, but he used to work for one of the magazines. It had the dreaded lead shot / PVA lurgi, but I managed to sort it, and camouflage the damage. I did build a Slaters oil tanker, the milk tanker is probably more complicated!

The red one is a POWSides kit, I built it some years ago.

Hope these are useful for those making choices

Best

Simon

post-20369-0-96976800-1458336052_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-10201400-1458336080_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-95410000-1458336101_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-70681800-1458336130_thumb.jpeg

Archived