Gladstons, North Shields closing

Alcanman

Sad to see another Model Shop in the North East closing. Although not a model shop specifically dedicated to Model Railways, Gladstons has always had a fair selection of Hornby,Bachmann and Graham Farish usually selling at RRP.

I've always found the shop useful for Woodland Scenics, paints and scenic materials etc.

The shop opened 130 years ago and claims to be one of the oldest retailers in the North East. Starting originally as a hardware store but in recent years a hobby and model shop.

There are plenty of bargains to be had as there is 30% off everything! 

Mal

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news, I always went there for styrene strip and sheets  and other bits and pieces, the staff were always helpful, Cameron in particular who I knew from his days working in Alan's Model Shop on Whitley Road Whitley Bay.

I wish all the staff best wishes and good luck for the future.

Michael

It is very sad. I loved that shop and would go out of my way to visit.

I popped in when I heard the news to 'stock up' on materials as there's now no-one who sells such things that isn't a long-ish car journey away.

Having worked in a book store that went into administration a few years ago I really felt for the Gladston's staff and I felt more than a little ghoulish being part of the hoardes who had descended for bargains. What else could I do though? The stuff I needed wasn't the kind of thing I'd like to buy online without holding it in my hands first to check it out and it's a lottery what I'd be able to pick up at shows.

Archived