The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Train fares in June

Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Its my mother in laws 80 th birthday in June and she wants to visit London, theatre, stuff like that.

My mrs and her sister are taking her up to the smoke for a couple of days.

Anyway, on using the online booking tool on GWR's website, it seems that the fares go through the roof for 1st class during June but are reasonable during May.

I'd planned on getting her 1st for the journey up and standard on the way back.

Do fares generally increase during summer like plane tickets?

Its a new one on me anyway!

Probably the Advance (cheaper) tickets aren't yet available for June - it's normally just under 3 months that you can book the cheapest fares.

Edit: just looked at Virgin East Coast, and the latest you can book Advance tickets is 3 June at the moment. Some of the booking sites offer to send you an email when the cheap tickets are released for a date you specify.

When I know when I am travelling I usually check once a week on the train operators website
There is NO point looking if there is more than 12 weeks as the advance quotas will not yet be loaded

Most of the time I travel Virgin Trains West Coast once a month between Glasgow and London
Last month I purchased a First Class return for £160 (south Friday advance, north Sunday Off-Peak) with 2 weeks to go
This month I purchased a First Class return for £70 (south Wednesday advance, north Friday advance) with 6 weeks to go

Ironically last months fare was refunded as both trains were over 30 minutes late
The advance single was refunded automatically, but I had to claim on the northbound and as an Off-Peak ticket I printed out the trust information as I travelled on an earlier train from my reservation

Archived