It's a glorified test track really.

Broadoak

Not sure where to put this really, if it is in the wrong place my apologies.

This small layout started life as a test track to run a few items of British stock I have collected. Originally it was bolted to the back of the joining section between my old American exhibition layout, Colonel's Crossing and a newer switching layout called Benson.
My wife thought my railways were beginning to take over the whole house, I have a small narrow gauge layout called Two Sister's Farm which I exhibit as well.
Although this exhibition layout is kept in the garage.
So I thought it was time to rationalise my models and get everything else in one room. I am fortunate to have a long narrow spare bedroom.
I decided to scrap Colonel's Crossing as it was well over twenty years old and extend along one wall the USA switching layout called Benson which is really my main area of interest. This meant that the test track could be positioned along the opposite wall above the desk that serves as a bench and has the PC sitting on it. This has grown slightly in length with a run round loop and storage siding having been added.

Now I can sit at the pc and shuffle trains up and down as the mood takes me, which is a rather pleasant thing to do.

Hopefully the photos will give an idea of what the set up looks like now.

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

I have some more photos to show if there is interest.

Peter M

The location modelled is somewhere on the Welsh and English borders probably around Ludlow, not sure where exactly.
The fiction is originally the small station and yard were on a line that carried on for some distance into Wales to an unnamed terminus. After the severe winter weather in 1947 flooding further down the line washed out a bridge and severed the route. It was decided that it would be uneconomic to repair the bridge so the track was lifted back as far as the station I am modelling. This section is still fairly busy because of a quarry and a military establishment. There is also still the local traffic in coal, cattle, sheep and general farm products both in and out.
The period modelled can represent the early 1950’s through to blue diesels and closure.

The locomotives and stock, I have bought simply because I like them, they tend to be GWR but the standards could have been used in that area with a little modellers licence.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

These two pictures show the low relief farmers co-op building, made from a Metcalfe brewery kit There is also a goods dock platform with a roof and a cattle dock at the end to help add a little interest and traffic.

I have added crew figures to some of the steam outline locos, not easy to get hold of British figures at the time so they are all re-painted German figures actually.
I have also added a slacking or pep pipe to the fireman’s side of the pannier hanging through the side rail. It is a silly little addition really but I think helps to set off the model. I will add a bucket and fire irons to the brackets at the back of the cab later.
The loco is seen shunting a van destined for the farmers co-op building.

Peter M

P1010004AF.jpg

P1010002AF.jpg

A couple of shots of the Pannier shunting.
I am old enough to remember seeing these at Old Oak sheds and also working empty coaching stock in and out of Paddington.

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

A busy scene in the yard with both the pannier and the 48XX shunting wagons.

The coaling stage opposite the water tank is scratch built with a brick base, concrete top and wood and corrugated iron sides and back. It is very loosely based on several different ones that I liked the look of.
Still a lot more work to do with ground cover etc as can be seen, I like to build this up a bit at a time.

P1010001AF.jpg

At this stage I had not decided on the final position of the coal merchant's staithes for instance so they are not glued down. They look almost abstract in the picture which makes the wooden sleepers look lighter than they really are. It is a simple structure made of balsa wood strips cut the same size as sleepers with card to represent metal reinforcement.

Peter M

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Three pictures showing the 57xx shunting the yard in the mid 1950's.
I have fitted the small tension lock couplings to some Ratio kits that had three link couplings, not a practical proposition with my eyes. All the wagons have been lightly weathered with acrylic paint washes and chalk.
The Clee Hill Granite wagon makes me think the layout is set in the Ludlow area.

Peter M

IMG_0644.jpg

A view showing a 57xx pannier tank behind the small coaling stage next to the concrete surface of the goods yard.
The yard surface is made of several layers of card glued to the base board surface. The top layer is an oversize piece of card placed face down on the track that has a coat of acrylic paint on the rail top. With gentle pressure downwards the paint marks the rail edges and the card is cut to the inside mark. The card then fits against the rail edges for a near perfect fit. When the glue is dry I gave the surface several coats of a light grey
concrete colour with thin washes to vary the colour. When thoroughly dry fine black lines were drawn with a pen to represent cracks on the surface were added.

Peter M

Not sure where to put this really, if it is in the wrong place my apologies.

Should probably be in "Layout topics" under "Layout & Workbench Content".  Not sure whether you can move it yourself, or you have to ask the mods to do it for you.

Looks like an interesting layout, in any case.

• RMweb Gold

Broadoak - the Mods may not see a comment like the above.  I think the procedure is to use the Report button which will automatically bring it to the Mods attention.  When you do, I think it asks which rules the post has broken or something like that.  Just ignore that bit and ask them to move it.

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

A few shots of a model I am very fond of, I must admit the 25's are my favourite British diesel. The Bachmann model runs superbly, certainly as well as my American ones, and I just like the look of it. I have weathered the bogies and added a third man in the no 2 end, and re-painted the existing crew with light blue overalls. I’ve also toned down the cream instrument panels to a dark grey, not that you can see much with the body on. She is seen working in the yard and then leaving with a short train.
When these pictures were taken none of the buildings were fixed down as I was still playing about with their positions. Come to think of it they still aren't.

Peter M

P1010001AF.jpg

At this stage I had not decided on the final position of the coal merchant's staithes for instance so they are not glued down. They look almost abstract in the picture which makes the wooden sleepers look lighter than they really are. It is a simple structure made of balsa wood strips cut the same size as sleepers with card to represent metal reinforcement.

Peter M

Unquote

If you haven't fixed the coal pens yet is it possible to move them? Bins backing on to the track were very rare, apart from in the south east of England, the Southern lines and the Great Eastern mainly, and virtually unknown north of a line from the Wash to Bournemouth. Wagons were usually unloaded directly for delivery and if there were pens, they were more usually positioned a short distance from the track, with the open end towards the track, so that lorries could park alongside waiting wagons, and even manoeuvre, in the space between.

Nick,

Thank you for that information about the coal pens I will correct it.

I think I got the idea from Lambourne, but I could be wrong, it was a very poor photograph.

ktundu99,

The grass is a mix of various flocks by woodland scenic. I put a little on at a time and build it up in layers.

I think it looks better if you mix different shades of grass.

Peter M

IMG_2426.jpg

The class 25 with a short freight passes a bubble car waiting in the loop.

The bubble car I was given by my old friend Andy Knott who did the conversion some years ago. It runs very well if a little noisily, I especially like the excellent under frame detailing. I'm not sure why but I rather like first generation DMU's. I think it's like old British motor bikes, you could see the engine.

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

The bubble car is seen leaving and heading for the junction.

Peter M

I have now had a rummage in the archives for some photos taken some time ago.

Another favourite locomotive of mine is this ex GWR small prairie seen here with a siphon. It is a Bachmann model and runs very well. It has been weathered very slightly, and of late a crew added after these photos were taken.
I think the model is a re-vamped Lima, but I think it captures the look of the real locomotive very well.
I was worried about the tension lock couplers having KD's on all my USA stock but I have found whilst shunting I really don't notice them.

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

This is as up to date as I get, an 08 in blue livery. This is a slightly weathered Bachmann model. At the time I bought this the Hornby versions were like hen's teeth. Despite that she runs quietly, slowly and smoothly.

Peter M

IMG_0652.jpg

48xx no 4869 and a second hand B set with repainted roofs and the bogies painted a very dark grey with a little brown colour added. The B set being almost compulsory if modelling a GWR branchline. This shot represents the very early 1950's.

IMG_0653.jpg

By way of a change we see a 45xx and B set in the early days of nationalisation. The photo is taken from the road over-bridge.

IMG-0647G_0654.jpg

BR class 3 standard with second hand con flat container wagon this would be the mid to late fifties. This Bachmann loco had problems with the valve gear falling apart when I first bought it, which I repaired with super glue. Since then it has performed very well and nothing has fallen off. It is work stained, I must admit I like watching the valve gear working on this one.

Peter M

IMG_0438.jpg

A close up of the Collet 0-4-2. This Hornby model now runs very well, having removed the rubber traction tyres. Far from helping the running they seemed only to spoil it by lifting the wheel rim from the railhead. This loco too is work stained which I think improves its appearance over straight out of the box.

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

A 57xx 0-6-0 pannier tank arrives with a mixed goods train. A cattle wagon is marshalled next to the engine which indicates it is loaded with cattle. If the wagon is empty it can be put anywhere in the train.

The 57xx reminds me of another fond memory, being taken to a railway exhibition at Westminster by my father At Easter time. Then seeing the mail train out from Paddington, which was always hauled by a Castle when I saw it.

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

This is another favourite of mine and was bought second hand at an exhibition when I was showing Two Sister's Farm. It ran very poorly but was on sale at a bargain price. I thoroughly cleaned the wheels and removed the traction tyres which did the trick. Having had a lube job it now runs very well indeed, much better that I expected to be honest.

When these photographs were taken I had built the Bradford on Avon station building which I thought looked quite good. On second thoughts though, it looked rather overpowering. So I have gone back to the assorted Will's kits which I think are more in keeping.

Peter M

Dave thanks for your interest, here are a few photos taken looking down to give an idea of the track plan.
When it was first built it was fixed to the back of my American layout joining section and was only six feet long, the right hand end. Over time it has just grown a bit now I have relocated it.
It's just a bit of fun and somewhere I can run my selection of British locos and stock. The whole thing is about twelve feet long now.

I hope the rather poor pictures are self explanatory starting with the passing loop and long siding, this serves as a sort of fiddle yard. We then progress to the right and the station and yard area.

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

I am also well I am pleased to report.

Kind regards Peter M

My old friend Andy Knott had a clear out in his loft some time ago and he gave a couple of steam outline locos that he no longer wanted. The first, a Collet 0-6-0 is very useful to me as they were a popular branch line loco. I think the model had been dropped at some time because there was a little damage to the cab that I have now repaired.

A selection of photos of her working in the yard.

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

Peter M

This is the second loco I was given by Andy and is an original Mainline job.
It didn't run very well at first but this was due to paint on the wheel treads. Once this was cleaned a crew added and a bit of general touching up she performs quite well.

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

Peter M

The Collet 0-4-2 I bought new, just because I liked it. What better reason is there than that.
The autocoach was another gift from Andy and is slightly darker than it should be really. Together though they make an attractive looking train.

The station now has a name, Willingford which I found in my scrap box, I can't remember where it came from, a Will's kit I suspect.

IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

Peter M

The BR Standard prairie I have never seen a real one but I do like the look of them.
As a lad I lived close to Bushey troughs on the old LNWR main west coast line and saw the bigger 2-6-4 Brighton tanks on suburban trains regularly, several were shedded at Watford.

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

Peter M

This 108 set originally had three cars but I only have got room for two.
A bargain from that large emporium in Liverpool. It's a nicely done model that runs well and looks better for the under frame being picked out I think.

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

Peter M

This model brings things right up to date. This is my second 25 and I must say I love it. It looks right it runs very well, so I am very pleased with it. The 25's just seem to look right to me, purposeful I think.

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

Peter M

Archived