"The Bridge"

Having been inspired by a year 2000 magazine article of "Barber's Bridge" (unfortunately very few online images), thought I'd have a go at something similar given I have very limited storage space.  Baseboard, bog standard build of softwood with 10mm MDF top so no bracing needed, measures just 36" x 10"; two inches deeper than "Barber's".  Scenic section will be about 22" x 10" with the excess for fiddle, essentially an inglenook for locos.  Points are to be motorised & background buildings / bridge etc will be from the Skytrex range. Stock will primarily be DCC sound.

post-9265-0-67453800-1458735810.jpg

• Like 4

I'm planning to do something similar (in terms of size) with the EM point kit and flexitrack I bought at the weekend as a test track and learning excercise before progressing on to the bigger layout plans.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

• RMweb Premium

. . . Scenic section will be about 22" x 10" with the excess for fiddle, essentially an inglenook for locos.

What a nice idea - not a "micro depot", but a simple Inglenook for locos. This sort of project might encourage me to move to DCC.

- Richard. 

Construction so far.  Backscene given a couple of white emulsion washes before adding a bit of blue & lots of grey.  Raised area constructed from 5mm foamboard and some Skytrex bridge parts painted.  Point motors fitted & wired and track actually tested, always helps !

post-9265-0-99916100-1459261980.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Noctilux2,

What a great idea and concept for your layout, I too certainly look forward to following your progress. I am currently building a 4'x1' Dcc shunting puzzle for my teenage son, we both enjoying the project. I must say it is great to see other modellers taking up the challenge of building small functional layouts.  

Jerry's project is a fantastic one and well worth a look, Thus showing that small layouts don't always have to be overlooked.

Best wishes

Dan   :imsohappy:

This week's progress. Skytrex northlight background buildings painted & placed along with parts of the bridge. Track now ballasted & the white

emulsion undercoat has had a severe toning down with some grey spray acrylic. The diesel refuel structure is a Bachmann RTP with additional weathering. Owing to the requirement to have the bridge at an angle, I have used a double span bridge as opposed to a single track which would have forced locos into brushing the sides.

post-9265-0-90551900-1459781803.jpg

Edited by noctilux2
  • Like 1

Progress this week has been to continue with the background buildings, including the addition of an almost completely removed one on the RH wall, & the bridge. Have also added working yard floodlights & non-working, at the moment, ground signals...having a few problems with these !

post-9265-0-90772700-1460296831.jpg

post-9265-0-93919500-1460296861.jpg

Edited by noctilux2
  • Like 1

This week's progress has essentially seen the layout completed; about five weeks in all.  Great use has been made of Skytrex components.  These are easy to use & I give an undercoat of grey aerosol primer from the £1 Shop before adding the brick finish & suitable weathering.  The shed is a Hornby Crossing Keeper's hut with the oil tank being a Bachmann RTP.  Whilst I admire those who are able to scratchbuild buildings, I neither have the time or capability. The sleeper walls are from Javis with balsa infills to hide the gaps. Hopefully, & with thanks to "Barber's Bridge", the layout shows that an operational micro may be built in a (very) small space and in a short period of time.

I am still having problems with the ground signals however & these will be replaced, its more than faulty wiring !

The layout gets its first public airing at Maidenhead & Marlow MRC's exhibition at Knowl Hill (between Reading & Maidenhead) on 11 June.

post-9265-0-11410600-1460978586.jpg

post-9265-0-84691700-1460978613.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Barber's Bridge is in my possession (on very long-term loan from builder Tony Wood) and occasionally goes out to shows as part of my modelling or DCC demo. (It might well be at expoEM this coming weekend...)

There are some photos available on the Marlow, Maidenhead and District MRC's site: http://www.mmdmrc.org.uk/barbers-bridge-photos.html

• Like 1