Guy Martin does it again

hoovernut

our Guy was up for breaking 80 tonight. No pee or poo boy!

I think this year should see him do the motorbike land speed record with Triumph. It was due to take place last year but had to be cancelled after his crash in Ireland.

His book is a very good read if you want to get inside his head.

Inglenookfan

My sons enjoyed it hugely. It reminded me rather of Charles Mortimer's descriptions of setting little-known records at Brooklands for the sponsorship money. Still, he walked away from it with a record and I dare say, a few shillings, so good luck to him.

I was mainly pleased to see no further attempt after the obvious wobble and near-crash on the last run - there was undoubtedly time for another attempt, but hearing him describe "greying out" and recovering, the correct decision was obviously taken by someone.

I await his LSR attempt in conjunction with Triumph, with considerable interest. Triumph have had their thinking caps on in the last year or two and he has shown considerable resourcefulness in his various record attempts; I'm sure it will at least, be a good deal more watchable than SOME motoring programmes discussed at length elsewhere..

• RMweb Gold

My sons enjoyed it hugely. It reminded me rather of Charles Mortimer's descriptions of setting little-known records at Brooklands for the sponsorship money. Still, he walked away from it with a record and I dare say, a few shillings, so good luck to him.

I was mainly pleased to see no further attempt after the obvious wobble and near-crash on the last run - there was undoubtedly time for another attempt, but hearing him describe "greying out" and recovering, the correct decision was obviously taken by someone.

I await his LSR attempt in conjunction with Triumph, with considerable interest. Triumph have had their thinking caps on in the last year or two and he has shown considerable resourcefulness in his various record attempts; I'm sure it will at least, be a good deal more watchable than SOME motoring programmes discussed at length elsewhere..

And on that bombshell ...

Seriously though, I agree that pulling the plug at this point was definitely the right decision. He'd achieved his main objectives - setting a new record - and setting a record which isn't likely to be broken any time soon.

Any further attempts would have been reckless - and I'd much prefer him to still be around to enjoy memories of his achievements.

Even though I, personally, have never ridden a motorbike (and I've got no ambition to do so), I've also got no doubt that his homebrew bike would have have been well engineered and well put together. In a number of previous TV programmes he's done, it's been apparent that he's good at stuff like that. I'm also sure that knowing that his future life and health were going to rely on his bike performing well would have concentrated the mind somewhat.

Huw.

Ah yes, the "home built bike". That was a Rob North Triumph triple, a serious historic racing machine with real World Championship wins under its belt, both sides of the Atlantic.

But obviously Indian Motocycles (note spelling), a historic brand name currently owned by an American snowmobile manufacturer, were the main sponsor. Indian are historically associated with the Wall of Death but the very fine 1920s one owned, and occasionally used by the professional Wall rider was kept well out of sight.

The modern Indian is quickly earning a reputation as a well engineered engine in a chassis heavily compromised by styling. Interestingly enough they are now rapidly developing a self-defined class for American short track racing, followed by an actual purpose-built racing engine, although the custom shop shown as the builders of GM's bike aren't involved.

Triumph, in their modern incarnation are also involved in American flat track, although not at factory level. But the Triumph Bonneville name needs no introduction ... Triumph won't be doing this to be seen to fail. My guess is that they will post a record in a minor class (there are plenty to choose from), probably breaking one if the records which litter the back pages of the record books.

I'm actually rather a fan of Guy Martin. He is, after all, a genuine racer with real trophies, who has moved in to develop an affable screen persona, and I'd much rather see THAT than the life-expired Top Gear act. His record breaking gravity racer was genuine engineering and I certainly enjoyed his programmes about the boat, and the Spitfire. The whole schtick of picking a forgotten record and breaking it has a long pedigree.

Good luck to him.

Archived