RNAS Glencruitten - Relocating Lenabo

Argos

They look like thingy-me-jigs for extracting whats-its out of doo-daas to me :-)

Should there not be a wafflesprocket along with them? And you might also need a hoojicaflip.

Jim :-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And the numpty of the year award goes to............

Meeee!   :danced:  :danced:  :danced:

Spot the error:-

post-13616-0-51510400-1495565926.jpg

post-13616-0-23111400-1495566028_thumb.png

So after careful planning and lots of musing I've manage to build the boards the wrong way round.  :banghead:

Thankfully the "mirror group" function in Templot came to the rescue and it was but a few minutes work to flip the plan to match the boards. 

• RMweb Gold

Nick absolutely no offence taken.

I find my stupidity rather funny.

I marked out the front of the proscenium to get a feel for what it looked like and get the proportions correct. Then convinced myself that I had marked out the rear face so as not to leave marks on the fascia.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have not done anything exactly the same but the scenario of doing something with one reason and then going back to it thinking you did it for another reason sounds worryingly familiar.  It is not even an age thing, I did this sort of thing when I was younger as well.

• RMweb Premium

I think there's a whole school of Zen Buddhism which is devoted to whether when you look at a model terminus, you achieve perfect nirvana by having your fiddle yard placed on the left hand side, or should it be put on the right? I'm still seeking enlightenment.

• RMweb Gold

I believe nirvana is only achieved if the fiddle yard is on the left irrespective of whether the layout is viewed from the front or rear.

An understanding of quantum physics is required to achieve this though.........

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I believe nirvana is only achieved if the fiddle yard is on the left irrespective of whether the layout is viewed from the front or rear.

An understanding of quantum physics is required to achieve this though.........

but a left handed modeler would claim it must be to the right   :dontknow:

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

Slightly slow progress this week, work commitments means I've not much time in the evenings.

The coming Bank Holiday weekend should sort that though!

Thanks

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've asked this in an old thread in Modelling Questions but with little uptake (but then I only posted it 8 hours ago so I may be being impatient.....)

Being a pre-grouping modeller I've always realised that at some point I would have to tackle some lining that I wouldn't be able to find decals for.

To that end I've been looking out for some bow pens. Wandering around the local vintage market yesterday I found these at what I though was a reasonable price:-

attachicon.gifset.jpg

The whole lot was wrapped in a chamois pouch and while some items are tarnished, some covered in a light rust I hope to get them back working again.

All the joint still move smoothly.

The pens are mark "Reynolds" and some of the compasses are marked "Thornton".

attachicon.gifIMAG08881.jpg

There were also some small tools tucked away in a side pocket:-

attachicon.gifUnkown tools.jpg

Which when unpacked look like this:-

attachicon.gifUnkown tools 2.jpg

Anyone identify what these are for?

Thanks

The two pronged one is for tightening the top pivot of the compasses, are the two on the right rests for when you don't need the pen?

Andy g

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok, as promised a bit of progress. 

Firstly the D88 van is painted and decaled on one side.

The tare numbers nearly drove me to distraction and are barely visible, I'm not looking forward to doing the end numbers!

Photo with the obligatory small coin (5p) so about 2x enlargment:-

post-13616-0-04227300-1496090645.jpg

The boards are also coming along, I've mocked up the main buildings and started the scenery base.

post-13616-0-47250300-1496090709.jpg

The large polystyrene block will be the airship shed.

It will be the half of the main shed plus an annex (a sort of a lean to, formed from the buttress bracing external to the shed) so should be visully more interesting with more broken line. 

The modern shed building is where the power station will be situated.

post-13616-0-74874900-1496090878.jpg

At the other end the spray can is what will become an SS series airship, the Woodstain the gas holder for the hydrogen plant and the modern building will house the hydrogen plant.

The gas holder and plant house, combined with the hill (which will be covered in trees) will hide the exit to the fiddle yard.

Further out the white polystyrene below the boards will be carved to form a burn with the line crossing a bridge currently roughed out.

Finally a view through the Fiddle yard exit hole at track level.

All seems to be in order.

post-13616-0-63792600-1496091371.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It's the first of June and so another rolling stock build is required.

I've not quite completed the D88 van thanks to loosing my decal fixative (I managed to rub off one of the diamonds during handling as it is).

I need this to fix the decals before weathering and varnishing.

After that the couplings just need fixing, still I am happy that enough progress has been made.

For the second build I am going to try to produce the following wagon:-

post-13616-0-79891900-1496313628.jpg

I am unsure of the age but a 2mm society 1887 RCH kit will be pressed into use along with some of Caley Jim's Buchanan Kits cupboard door strapping.

All the component parts laid out:-

post-13616-0-27305600-1496313807.jpg

Looking at the photo of the original it looks to me that the body colour is a lighter colour than the strapping which I assume is black.

I'm guessing red.

Just to make life slightly more complicated the lettering looks shaded.

Should be fun!

• Like 3

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the door strapping etches.

I'd agree that the colour is probably red with black Iron work. Note that it has Attocks pattern axleboxes - castings available from the Association. Interesting that it is numbered 'No 1'! From photographs I've seen, most traders who only had one wagon numbered it 3, or 5, off even higher. Presumably to infer that they were a bigger concern than they actually were!

Said Caley Jim (edited for typo)

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim, I already have the cast axleboxes, these should make the build quicker.

I ways dread folding and soldering the 3 layers in the etched boxes, in fairness they have always go together ok.

The number does seem unusual though. Obviously modest folk the coal merchants in Killin.

I suspect the biggest issue with the cupboard doors will be smoothing the planking relief on the moulding.

Edited by Argos

• RMweb Gold

More progress this weekend on two fronts.

Firstly the control panel for the the points is now cut out and the switches ready to install.

I've mounted the panel behind  double thickness of board, this means the toggles don't extend far beyond the facia, so less chance of getting caught when operating from the front.

post-13616-0-95563100-1496604267.jpg

I've also got the fiddle yard turntable installed.

post-13616-0-81814200-1496605009.jpg

Work has been progressing on the chassis for the 439 tank.

post-13616-0-21858600-1496604325.jpg

The chassis rolls well enough. I need to source a different spring for the rear bogie though, the current one is too long and pushes the bogies at an angle so it doesn't sit flat unless weighted.

Once the body is on this shouldn't be a problem but I am concerned that this will tend to make the rear ride up, particularly if operating in reverse with the bogie leading.

post-13616-0-57314900-1496604528.jpg

The original plan was to have a 8mm motor sat on top of the worm cradle. This would then drive the worm spindle via pulleys to give further reduction.

Unfortunately it doesn't quite fit and I've been forced to substitute a 6mm higher revving motor.

I may just use the worm directly on the end of the 8mm motor.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Ok, as I've now one piece of rolling stock and no track laid in the scenic side it seemed logical to volunteer the layout for an exhibition....... :locomotive:

My first....... :beee:

In early December...... :O

This year......... :scared:

http://www.themodelshow.co.uk

The 2mm Society have been given an area to display, and as Poynton is only a few miles up the road it seemed sensible to support this.

Normally when it comes to deadlines I'm with Douglas Adams (I love deadlines, I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by....), however in this case I will have to stay focused.

My target was always to have the track down and operable by then with a working loco.

Some R-T-R stock will be re-wheeled which will help with the stock and I have a green Class 27 that can be pressed into use if need be, albeit 45 years too late for the period.

• Like 1