Dapol 'N' HST - Power Car Headlights - Help, Please

Mike at C&M

We recently sold a pair of the Network Rail power cars (reference number ND111E). Our customer has reported that only one of the headlights works on the powered car when it is leading. As I didn't have another of this item in stock, I tried a First Great Western pair, and on that, again only one headlight was lit on the powered car, and I reported this to my customer.

He has replied to me that on the dummy car, when it is moving forwards, there are two headlights lit. As I am away from the shop, I am currently unable to re-test the FGW set for a couple of days.

I would be grateful for any guidance as to what headlights should be showing. There may be a fault with the units tested, or it may be that there is indeed a difference between how the powered and dummy cars are configured. Once I have an answer, I can deal with this accordingly.

Thank you.

The one headlight thing is apparently prototypical for at least some post-privatisation variants; see discussion in this thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1330.msg34609;topicseen#msg34609 . I don't know any more details, just remember seeing that thread.

FWIW I have an InterCity executive livery HST, both sets of lights on both power cars light up in the appropriate direction.

I believe both power cars in the Network Rail set are of different types.

One has the old style light clusters which would show two lights when in use, the other has the revised headlights which may be prototypical to only have one side light up depending on whether it's day or night.

I have one of these sets but it's currently in bits so I'm unable to test for you.

Cheers

Martin

• RMweb Premium

We recently sold a pair of the Network Rail power cars (reference number ND111E). Our customer has reported that only one of the headlights works on the powered car when it is leading. As I didn't have another of this item in stock, I tried a First Great Western pair, and on that, again only one headlight was lit on the powered car, and I reported this to my customer.

He has replied to me that on the dummy car, when it is moving forwards, there are two headlights lit. As I am away from the shop, I am currently unable to re-test the FGW set for a couple of days.

I would be grateful for any guidance as to what headlights should be showing. There may be a fault with the units tested, or it may be that there is indeed a difference between how the powered and dummy cars are configured. Once I have an answer, I can deal with this accordingly.

Thank you.

Hi

My network rail HST is exactly the same and when I queried it at the time I was told it is correct for the power cars as numbered.

Cheers

Paul

Archived