Directional lighting advice

Marc d

Hi I'm currently building a class 507/507 emu merseyrail kit in oo scale (build thread in kit building forum if anyone's interested) and I want to put directional lights in it. I've got six white normal bulbs and four red bulbs. I've ordered some diodes so I can have them running directional. Will three white bulbs run ok off one diode soldered to my black beetle motor? Anything else I need to know or am I doing it ok?

Thanks very much

If it is not DCC probably better to post it here.

You are unlikely to be drawing more than an Amp for directional lighting, so an inexpensive diode like a 1N4001 should be more than adequate for the task. It really all depends what bulbs you have got.

If you have not yet fitted the bulbs it is worth thinking about getting LEDs which will make life a lot easier.

Hi, no it's not dcc. I've just got some cheap standard bulbs from my local model shop

What voltage are they specified for, and what current do they draw when running at this voltage?

On my 508 I used a combination of white and red LEDs via fibre optic guides, and fed via a constant current circuit so that they would light with consistent brightness whatever the speed (so long as it was high enough to move, of course).

post-317-0-58939900-1459692394.jpg

Archived