RMweb

Class 31,37,47,56,58,60 trainload sector

Hello everyone

In 1987 - 1995

Class 31 coal / construction / petroleum / Railfreight distribution has hauled steel train but I has seen photo of class 31 coal haul short steel train from Scunthorpe

Class 37 , 47 , 56 , 58 , 60 coal / construction / petroleum / metal / Railfreight distribution / mainline has hauled steel train

But I didn't watch any freight train by 1987 - 1995 by Monday to Sunday while I was still school / college that why I do missed watch lot freight trains passed my hometown But I has seen few times by watch any freight trains while I was awaiting DMU for ride to home from college

I hope you do understand clear

Guest bri.s

Don't know if this helps but

https://thewebtrain.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/british-railway-freight-sectorisation-and-branding/

I think at the back end you'd get of sectorisation you'd get more coal ones not on coal trains so they used them on anything ,I'm guessing but after the sectorisation finished ,loco would not have been repainted and end up on anything ,that's just a guess though

Brian

Edited by bri.s

• RMweb Premium

Try searching Google for the sector, loco class and "steel train".

I'm guessing over the years just about every combination happened. Some examples I found:

Coal sector class 60 on steel train: http://petertandy.co.uk/class60.htm

Petroleum sector class 60 on steel train: http://petertandy.co.uk/60054_6V92_Defford_010708.jpg

Coal sector class 31 on steel train: http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7217/7232092338_92419607ce_m.jpg

Some combinations would have been more common than others. I think all 50 class 58s were allocated to Toton depot which mostly handled motive power for coal trains, so seeing a coal sector class 58 on a steel train would be uncommon.

Depots with allocations of locos from several sectors (e.g. Cardiff) would be more likely to turn out a loco with a sector livery that didn't match the train it was hauling.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Up until the creation oof the shadow franchise companies, Trainload Freight North West etc, the sectors stuck fairly well to each using their on traction etc, especially Railfreight Coal and Toton's Class 58's but as the shadow companies became Mainline all that was forgotten. The loco's themselves did tend to lose their sector decals quite quickly though a few lingered on, thus a Railfreight Coal Class 60 could turn up on an oil tank train etc and MAinline started using its 58s wherever they were needed and no longer exclusively on coal etc 

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sectorisation was aspirational, when the loco returned to shed that night, in many cases it sat next to classmates with different sectors, and next morning what came off shed would take what it was allocated.

It depends on the depot, and if it was a mixed use depot, and if it was a subshed of a shared depot.

For example..

60’s around Manchester came off Springs Branch as a Toton subshed, should have been coal, but I've seen any sector pulling anything on the day, depending on what Toton sent.

Buxton was stone, as a Tinsley subshed, but Petroleum 37’s seem to hang out at Buxton too.

So a coal sector 60 on the Salford bins wasn't impossible, nor was Steel 60’s on Petroleum.  RfD tended to keep to itself in the North West, but presumably thats because it was Warrington and on their yard they only had rfd locos ( where as coal hung out on their own at sidings round the corner and was mostly 20’s anyway). Same for Knottingly with its coal 56’s.

At the other end of the scale, when Westbury became a sub of Cardiff, steel and stone 56’s were intermingled.

dont get hung up on the right sector to the train, it was a best 50/50 in some areas of the country.

As I said it was aspirational, operational needs took precedence. 

Its amazing looking back to think around Manchester, we routinely had diesels stationed at Longsight, Warrington (x2), Crewe, Wigan, Preston, Newton Heath, Crewe, Stoke.. and that was considered poor to steam days !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3