ESU ECoS 50200

garyd8004

Hi

I have an ESU ECoS 50200 system and have recently acquired a Bachmann Class 158 loco which has an unknown DCC sound chip fitted. I believe that it has a 4 digit address. Whenever I place it on the programming track or even try programming on the main, the loco is not detected and simply shows a screen message saying, 'no loco on track' or 'error'.  Has anybody ever come across this before or am I doing something wrong?

Hi Gary.

Welcome.

First of all make sure it actually has a chip installed.

Next try & find out who made the chip. Look for any identifying marks on the chip.

If you can find out whose chip it is you can try & reset the chip.

If you can't make out whose chip it is take a photo & put it up here. I'm sure someone will recognize the chip from the photo.

Have you tried the loco on DC to see if it runs there ?

Hi Gary

As above, and also do check there is a chip in the loco, basics I know. I've made that mistake and the ECoS will go through the process and you will get that message.

Hi Gary.

Welcome.

First of all make sure it actually has a chip installed.

Next try & find out who made the chip. Look for any identifying marks on the chip.

If you can find out whose chip it is you can try & reset the chip.

If you can't make out whose chip it is take a photo & put it up here. I'm sure someone will recognize the chip from the photo.

Have you tried the loco on DC to see if it runs there ?

Hi Tony and thank you 

I have checked the loco on DC and it does work ok. It does have a chip installed so I will take a photo as I'm unsure who the manufacturer is. All the previous owner has been able to tell me is that it does have a 4 digit address which is 158, but he can't remember the last digit :(

If there is a chip present, then "no loco on track" for the programming track often means "poor pickup", so pushing down on the loco, or otherwise ensuring good contact may help.

In terms of addressing, on the programming track, you shouldn't need to know the old address, just send a new one to it (assuming the loco is talking to the command station).

Some cheap and basic chips don't do "readback" of CV values.   But, if its a sound chip, I would expect it to read.  

- Nigel

Hi Tony and thank you 

I have checked the loco on DC and it does work ok. It does have a chip installed so I will take a photo as I'm unsure who the manufacturer is. All the previous owner has been able to tell me is that it does have a 4 digit address which is 158, but he can't remember the last digit :(

Hi Gary.

If you know the first three digits of the address then why not try them all.

There's only 1580 to 1589.

Hi again and thanks to Tony, bgman and Nigel for your messages. I've now 'solved' the issue and the chip was a Loksound 3.5 and the number was found by by using your suggestion regarding the known digits Tony, so thanks again. It works well and the sound is good but just have a minor issue with the lights at one end, so that'll give me something to get my teeth into  :read:

Archived