Heaton Mersey Diesel Depot

Jim76

Built in about May 1968, it's main use was to provide bankers for freights from Stockport Tiviot Dale up to Woodley Junction, mainly class 24 & 25's. Closed by October 1971 along with the line closure as a motorway (?) was needed to be constructed over the site, the shed was moved to Bridgnorth, and became the paint shop for the SVR. I saw it constructed over the period of visits to the steam shed in it's last week(s).

Built in about May 1968, it's main use was to provide bankers for freights from Stockport Tiviot Dale up to Woodley Junction, mainly class 24 & 25's. Closed by October 1971 along with the line closure as a motorway (?) was needed to be constructed over the site, the shed was moved to Bridgnorth, and became the paint shop for the SVR. I saw it constructed over the period of visits to the steam shed in it's last week(s).

The line was closed about 1982. Peanuts of this parish might have better details. I passed the site a week last Friday, and it looked as if the remains of the steam shed were being levelled

The line was closed about 1982. Peanuts of this parish might have better details. I passed the site a week last Friday, and it looked as if the remains of the steam shed were being levelled

That isn't the steam shed that is being demolished. The steam shed was underneath the industrial estate on the right as you head towards Stockport from Cheadle on the M60. The building being flattened is the old biscuit factory.

This may help out the OP. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120184076@N06/26324350816/in/dateposted-public/

The two bridges crossing the Mersey are bottom left. The steam shed was on the patch of ground immediately below the diesel depot and stretching back to where the high level bridge crosses the Cheadle - Tiviot Dale line. The factory that is currently being demolished is top right. The M60 runs straight through where Heaton Mersey sidings were (between the running lines and the diesel depot).

• 1 year later...