Gaugemaster Transformers M1 & M3

Bino

Hi folks,

I have a Gaugemaster M1 cased transformer and I was intending using this to power my point motors (approx 30) via a Gaugemaster CDU.

The instructions with the CDU says that (ideally) it should be used with the M3 transformer.

So, should I swap it? I'd rather not as I'm skint but welcome your advice!

cheers

Dave

The M1 transformer will work fine with the CDU. See the quote below from the Gaugemaster website for the M1.

Model M1 - Cased TransformerMains Transformer - fully cased, plugged and output protected with circuit breakers, these transformers are virtually ready to use straight from the box.  All you need to do is connect it to the units you want to power. This unit is also suitable for the CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) for 16v applications (Peco/ Hornby/ Seep point motors)

Unless you are firing more than two points at once e.g. crossover, then you will have no problem. I have used a 16V ac transformer with the CDU with Peco & Hornby point motors with no problems.

HTH

Mike

It sounds fine, I have been using capacitor point operation for many years with a variety of power units, the trick is to balance the point motors in circuit so if there are a maximum of 6 to throw make sure at least 4 throw on every combination of routes. Even if you have to use some spare motors to provide coils for dead loads. If you dont you can break point tie bars with the force.  

Make sure the Capacitor is rated for enough volts, twice the transformer rated voltage is about the minimum. and nice and big, a couple of inches diameter ideally.

This system is not suitable for controllers with a 16 volt or 12 volt uncontrolled output from the same winding as the controlled circuit as trains just about stop when the points are fired, but works fine with a wide variety of transformers, the bigger the amperage the shorter the re charge time.

CDUs are great if you have to use the tapping from the controller as they limit the recharge current.

Hi

As stated, using one of the two 16v AC outputs of an M1 transformer is a great way to power a CDU.  

Once fully charged CDUs can power a minimum of two solenoid motors at once, many can operate up to 6 solenoid at once while some larger value capacitance CDUs can operate even more when used with route setting and often a diode matrix.

The Gaugemaster CDU and come to that all other CDUs should work fine with the M1, as the M1 16v AC output should be OK with all commercially built CDUs.

Now I don't want to start a controversy, but it seems to me that almost any 16v transformer would work with a CDU since the points are powered by the CDU, not the transformer. Indeed even the tiniest wallwart would work, providing it is supplying 16v ac. Most CDUs have a resistor in series with the input, limiting the current and preventing the point motor from short circuiting the transformer. The only downside would be the duty cycle, since a very low input current would mean a long time to recharge the capacitors, and with some leaky electrolytics it may never happen.

Archived