RMweb

Non running hst

faulcon1

I have a Hornby HST power car R2702 and I haven't run it for some time. So today I went to run it but it is dead. It's fitted with Howes DCC Sound. There is no sound and no movement. With the chip removed the blanking plug installed and run on DC there is still no movement. Yet the last time I ran it in DCC mode, it was fine. Do Loksound decoders collapse over time especially if not used?

Any ideas as to what maybe wrong?

• RMweb Premium

That it doesn't run on DC suggests the decoder is most certainly not to blame. Can you put the decoder in another loco to confirm?

Any lights coming on? If so it suggests motor problems, if not I'd look at contacts.

R2702 is the latest version -, and as there is no movement on DC either - I'd check that the bogie drive worms are not seized in their bearings, this tends to happen when the model is left unused for some time.  I had this problem with some Hornby Class 60's, on DC the motor would just hum with no movement at all.  Freeing off the worm gear/s so it/they can turn in the bearings solved the problem.

Archived