The Ffarquhar Branch

WhitehouseFilms

As in...the model of Duck?

The other GWR engine

I already have Duck in my fleet, a Gaiety Model 57xx on a Tri-ang chassis. I'm currently waiting on some Romford wheels to arrive for it so it can run better on my layout. Once they are fitted I've just to bow pen his 5741 number on and thats him ready to roll. 

086VguX.jpg

The other GWR engine that I'm waiting to arrive is Oliver. 

The Reverend Awdry made Oliver from a Keyser kit and this was used to help the artists get certain angles when painting the character in the books. The model made several appearances on the MRKII Ffarquhar Branch and is often used as spare engine or as the Saloon engine where a enthusiasts train comes in after the end of a running sequence. I'm thinking of adding this too in my layout's operation and currently making up the coaches for said train using the Dapol rail bus kits. This model also explains Oliver to have the number 1436 as the kit comes with that number.

Recently I had finished making a model of Thomas using the same method's the Reverend used when converting a Hornby E2 into the cheeky little engine. For the fun of it I decided to do my own take of the photo of that model which can be seen in the Reverend's Biography, The Thomas The Tank Engine Man. 

DSC 0016.JPG

DSC 0015.JPG

Thomas the tank engine (E2 Conversion)

If you guys would like to have a go yourselves at making your own Thomas I've done a 3 1/2 hr tutorial guide as to how to go about it. 

There are a few comical bits along the way but the rest is all down to the building of Thomas. 

Edited by WhitehouseFilms
  • Like 3

This is a marvellous layout.  It captures the look of the original.  What a treat to see it in colour!

You need a pipe, of course, and a dog-collar, in order to operate it properly!

... make sure the dog collar is of the 'bib stock' style, and not a 'tunnel' or 'tonsure' ... you wouldn't want to be accused of not recreating the scene accurately ;)

Love the layout, very cool.

This evening began the stages of relaying the track in Ffarquhar. 

Now this worries me as I've done this before while building the layout in 2015 as there were some difficulties, again involving derailments. I just hope that the next attempt has better results and minimal issues with derailments. 

the process is to relay the track using PECO Set track and cut the rails over the joint with a dermal cutting disc. Before the rails were laid to an eye's distance of being connected but it did not work all the time. 

The first stage was to relay the main oval. This is where most of the issues take place and it is very important that all problematic areas are fixed. The point motor for the curved points into the station will need to be relocated as reference photos show that this point was located a few millimetres up. 

The board underneath was not painted so this was painted 'Muted Clay' using a sample pot from HOMEBASE. 

I'll let it dry overnight and will do another test laying of the track to see how it holds up. If the trains run fine on the new curve that will be good, but the real test will be on whether they will cross the baseboard joint once the rails are cut, and not derail. I have my doubts that this will work but only time will tell. 

Any ideas will be gratefully received. 

DSC 0018

DSC 0019

DSC 0020

Pictures show the track taken up before the underneath was painted.
Edited by WhitehouseFilms
  • Like 1

The other GWR engine

I already have Duck in my fleet, a Gaiety Model 57xx on a Tri-ang chassis. I'm currently waiting on some Romford wheels to arrive for it so it can run better on my layout. Once they are fitted I've just to bow pen his 5741 number on and thats him ready to roll. 

086VguX.jpg

The other GWR engine that I'm waiting to arrive is Oliver. 

The Reverend Awdry made Oliver from a Keyser kit and this was used to help the artists get certain angles when painting the character in the books. The model made several appearances on the MRKII Ffarquhar Branch and is often used as spare engine or as the Saloon engine where a enthusiasts train comes in after the end of a running sequence. I'm thinking of adding this too in my layout's operation and currently making up the coaches for said train using the Dapol rail bus kits. This model also explains Oliver to have the number 1436 as the kit comes with that number.

Recently I had finished making a model of Thomas using the same method's the Reverend used when converting a Hornby E2 into the cheeky little engine. For the fun of it I decided to do my own take of the photo of that model which can be seen in the Reverend's Biography, The Thomas The Tank Engine Man. 

If you guys would like to have a go yourselves at making your own Thomas I've done a 3 1/2 hr tutorial guide as to how to go about it. 

There are a few comical bits along the way but the rest is all down to the building of Thomas. 

Interesting model. Me? I am thinking of attempting this with a Bachmann Jinty (which has the later flat running-board in the later books) with incorporated parts from a Hornby Thomas model and an accurate chimney to it.

This evening began the stages of relaying the track in Ffarquhar. 

Now this worries me as I've done this before while building the layout in 2015 as there were some difficulties, again involving derailments. I just hope that the next attempt has better results and minimal issues with derailments. 

the process is to relay the track using PECO Set track and cut the rails over the joint with a dermal cutting disc. Before the rails were laid to an eye's distance of being connected but it did not work all the time. 

The first stage was to relay the main oval. This is where most of the issues take place and it is very important that all problematic areas are fixed. The point motor for the curved points into the station will need to be relocated as reference photos show that this point was located a few millimetres up. 

The board underneath was not painted so this was painted 'Muted Clay' using a sample pot from HOMEBASE. 

I'll let it dry overnight and will do another test laying of the track to see how it holds up. If the trains run fine on the new curve that will be good, but the real test will be on whether they will cross the baseboard joint once the rails are cut, and not derail. I have my doubts that this will work but only time will tell. 

Any ideas will be gratefully received. 

Pictures show the track taken up before the underneath was painted.

Nice. Have you mentioned it in the Railway Modeller magazine?

Interesting model. Me? I am thinking of attempting this with a Bachmann Jinty (which has the later flat running-board in the later books) with incorporated parts from a Hornby Thomas model and an accurate chimney to it.

Nice. Have you mentioned it in the Railway Modeller magazine?

The OP has mentioned previously that he would like it to be in the December 2019 issue as it would mark the 60th anniversary of the original layout appearing in the magazine.

• Like 1

On Sunday night I spent some time seeing to the track on the main curve into the station. There were some parts of it where I needed to ensure that there isn't any sticking points or kinks that could be picked up by the locos. 'Thomas' was the main engine to test this as his chassis had the most problems while running on the layout. The curved points leading into the station were the most troublesome as the engine tended to derail where the point blades were. this was mostly noticeable while running. After some jiggling about this problem was fixed as can be seen in the video in my last post. 

The next task was to fit in the replacement screws to hold the track in place. I first marked out what sleepers on the set track needed to be taken off. Once they were taken off balsa wood was glued in place and marked for where the brass screws were to be screwed in place for the track to be soldered to. 
Yesterday morning I soldered the tracks to the screw ensuring everything was level and no bumps were located that could cause issues with the layout's operation. The cut away sleepers will be glue on the balsa to tidy everything up and some Javis matter will be glued to blend in with the surroundings. 

DSC 0024

DSC 0025

While the solder cooled I set to work on doing the same on the opposite side in the tunnel. Now as mentioned in previous posts the track bed for the tunnel and fiddle yards will be more permanent than the underlay on the viewing track. Balsa wood I find to be the most useful and so some sheets were bought and is to be use for there. Some of it as mentioned is used for the crossover joints.

DSC 0022

The original screws were removed so the new ones will be screwed into place. Right now the balsa road bed has been cut and has been test fitted. It will be glued to the track and pinned to the baseboard later today after a quick lick of paint to blend it in with the tunnel surroundings.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sort of hijacking someone else's thread again to just talk about your own stuff, mate...

[EDIT]  I should clarify that I'm not trying to be aggressive, but it's generally good forum manners not to spam other people's topics and threads with pictures and announcements about your own topics.

Edited by Corbs

How did you get all the valve gear, pistons and cylinders for the Percy model?

It is a modified Bachman model so the valve gear came with it. I just had to cut some of it off to match reference photographs of the original model. I'll be making a new one soon as a standby incase it should fail during a show. 

Small update for you all. So the main oval and fiddle yards have been relaid with new track. The power wires to transfer power from one side of the layout to the other have been soldered on and the rails crossing over the joint are now cut.

DSC 0016

A spare siding has been installed for storing the quarry trains and Toby. At first there was issues with space but I managed to get everything fitted snugly and all looks neat and tidy. Just need to relay the station and goods sidings and then I can sort out the rewiring of the layout.

DSC 0015

As well as this I've busy sorting out some rolling stock on the line. In the RM article of the line, I found that the quarry trucks that were originally used for the quarry trains were not 3 planked wagons like the ones I've made but standard open wagons-x5 and a brake van. The brands of these are not certain but it said that they consisted of Tri-ang wagons so that would be a suitable choice. And as luck would have it, I came across on eBay 5 open wagons and a brake van for £20. The wagons will need a repaint to a mixture of brown and greys as well as a change in wheels and couplings. I tested them in the new siding and they fit nicely in place so thats that. I'll still use the 3 planked wagons every now and again if I have Mavis operating the line

DSC 0014

Another bit of rolling stock which I've nearly finished is Toby's coach Henrietta. I bought the model off a seller on Shapeways and it does look the part. I'm still getting her painted up in the colours similar to the original and there is a few extra details that need to be added but apart from that she really looks the part. At first I had Hornby wheels fitted on her but the axles were a few mm short and every so often would fall off. I then tried some Bachmann coach wheels and this made things better.

DSC 0013

DSC 0012

More updates to follow soon.

• Like 2

May I ask - was it Simon (rue_de_etropal)'s shop you purchased Henrietta from? Was it in WSF?

Yeah it's one of his models. I think the only option was to have it in WSF but that was alright. Mind you it made things a bit easy when it came to the painting stages. A thin coat all over then a regular afterwards. 

The model still needs a few extra details to get it to the look I want it to be but it's coming along well.

• Like 1

Yeah it's one of his models. I think the only option was to have it in WSF but that was alright. Mind you it made things a bit easy when it came to the painting stages. A thin coat all over then a regular afterwards. 

The model still needs a few extra details to get it to the look I want it to be but it's coming along well.

Nice Henrietta model. What are your thoughts on the Bachmann model?

The Bachmann model is a nice one to have and I used that model when I first exhibited my layout at shows as it was the closest to a Wisbech coach that I could get. But when I saw the one on Shapeways, it took the Bachmann one's place but I still use it as a spare incase anything should happen. My Ffarquhar fleet will comprise of 3 sets of Spare engine of the 3 main locos. Talking of which, two spare models of Percy are currently in the make, one of which I've written a small blog about and am still seeing about getting that finished at some stage. The other is a commission that I've made which will have the same body as the original Percy but designed to fit the Bachmann Percy/Greg chassis. Same as the other, I'll see about doing a blog post about it. As for my current Percy, I've been spending some time repainting it tonight to it's 1967-Present livery: Emerald Green, Brass dome, 3 red boiler lines. The Reverend Awdry's original Percy from the late 1940s-1967 was painted in BR Green so when the new spare model is being made, that will be the livery it will carry. 

If you take a look at this home movie footage of the original Ffarquhar Branch, you can just see Percy in his dark green livery.

I think I should also at this point share with you a track plan of the layout incase anyone wants to know what it looks like. Now this is an slightly altered version of C.J. Freezer's plan of the Ffarquhar Branch with small changes I've made that are being carried on to the layout now. the changes include the new sidings, changes to the fiddle yard crossover and an isolated part of the station are to help me while performing the line's operation. 

gallery_29015_4385_403140.jpeg

ATM I'm waiting for some PECO insulated rail joiners to arrive in the post so while I'm waiting for them I've taken up the track in the station areas and have begun to relay it and fix some areas that gave me some bother. One example is the Run round loop at the station. That has now been fixed but as i mentioned I will have to wait till those rail joiners arrive in the post before I can continue on ahead with the relaying. 

Now next Monday will be Christmas so I'm hoping Father Christmas will bring me a magnet Re-magnetiser from Ronald Dodd, as some of my locos need their magnets recharged quite badly and I'm sure it will be of great use. Just hope I've been a good boy all year. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Bachmann model is a nice one to have and I used that model when I first exhibited my layout at shows as it was the closest to a Wisbech coach that I could get. But when I saw the one on Shapeways, it took the Bachmann one's place but I still use it as a spare incase anything should happen. My Ffarquhar fleet will comprise of 3 sets of Spare engine of the 3 main locos. Talking of which, two spare models of Percy are currently in the make, one of which I've written a small blog about and am still seeing about getting that finished at some stage. The other is a commission that I've made which will have the same body as the original Percy but designed to fit the Bachmann Percy/Greg chassis. Same as the other, I'll see about doing a blog post about it. As for my current Percy, I've been spending some time repainting it tonight to it's 1967-Present livery: Emerald Green, Brass dome, 3 red boiler lines. The Reverend Awdry's original Percy from the late 1940s-1967 was painted in BR Green so when the new spare model is being made, that will be the livery it will carry. 

If you take a look at this home movie footage of the original Ffarquhar Branch, you can just see Percy in his dark green livery.

I think I should also at this point share with you a track plan of the layout incase anyone wants to know what it looks like. Now this is an slightly altered version of C.J. Freezer's plan of the Ffarquhar Branch with small changes I've made that are being carried on to the layout now. the changes include the new sidings, changes to the fiddle yard crossover and an isolated part of the station are to help me while performing the line's operation. 

gallery_29015_4385_403140.jpeg

ATM I'm waiting for some PECO insulated rail joiners to arrive in the post so while I'm waiting for them I've taken up the track in the station areas and have begun to relay it and fix some areas that gave me some bother. One example is the Run round loop at the station. That has now been fixed but as i mentioned I will have to wait till those rail joiners arrive in the post before I can continue on ahead with the relaying. 

Now next Monday will be Christmas so I'm hoping Father Christmas will bring me a magnet Re-magnetiser from Ronald Dodd, as some of my locos need their magnets recharged quite badly and I'm sure it will be of great use. Just hope I've been a good boy all year. 

This is a perfect resource to work with. Very interesting, too.

So Christmas has been and went and Father Christmas visited me with a small gift of a re-magnetizer. Once I had time free on Christmas Day I gave it a test with some of my engines that badly needed their magnets recharged. The change can definitely be seen, they run much better than before a big thank you to Ronald Dodd for his magnetisers. 

Anyway, over the Christmas period I set to work on re wiring the layout, getting the underneath properly organised and to prevent any drooping wires from showing. As the track plan shows, I have an isolating section where I have my goods depot. The wires for that still need to be soldered one but that can wait for the time being. The same an be said for the fiddle yard tracks which also need fitting on. 

So as you can see this is how the underneath of the layout is being prepared. With the handy help of some connection boxes the wiring for both the track and points are carried out quite quickly and prepared to be connected up with the switches once they are ready. 

DSC 0017

DSC 0018

DSC 0019

Once I had the main tracks wired up, I gave them a test to see that all was running fine. There are a few areas that need looking at but for the most the trains run fine on the relaid track. These are a few shots of the layout that were taken today.

DSC 0020

DSC 0021

DSC 0022

DSC 0023

Now while I was working on the upgrades for the layout some weeks ago, an idea for a new one came into mind but at first I wasn't sure if I should do it or not. After some time I thought I would give it ago on the count that this layout was for private use only and can only be taken to club events, but it must not be put on the exhibition circuit or taken to model railway shows. I might talk more about this layout in a new thread once I've gathered everything together and got the rest of this one finished, but I'll leave you with a guess as to what it could be. 

• Like 2

So Christmas has been and went and Father Christmas visited me with a small gift of a re-magnetizer. Once I had time free on Christmas Day I gave it a test with some of my engines that badly needed their magnets recharged. The change can definitely be seen, they run much better than before a big thank you to Ronald Dodd for his magnetisers. 

Anyway, over the Christmas period I set to work on re wiring the layout, getting the underneath properly organised and to prevent any drooping wires from showing. As the track plan shows, I have an isolating section where I have my goods depot. The wires for that still need to be soldered one but that can wait for the time being. The same an be said for the fiddle yard tracks which also need fitting on. 

So as you can see this is how the underneath of the layout is being prepared. With the handy help of some connection boxes the wiring for both the track and points are carried out quite quickly and prepared to be connected up with the switches once they are ready. 

Once I had the main tracks wired up, I gave them a test to see that all was running fine. There are a few areas that need looking at but for the most the trains run fine on the relaid track. These are a few shots of the layout that were taken today.

Now while I was working on the upgrades for the layout some weeks ago, an idea for a new one came into mind but at first I wasn't sure if I should do it or not. After some time I thought I would give it ago on the count that this layout was for private use only and can only be taken to club events, but it must not be put on the exhibition circuit or taken to model railway shows. I might talk more about this layout in a new thread once I've gathered everything together and got the rest of this one finished, but I'll leave you with a guess as to what it could be. 

Fantastic layout, that. I love what you did. Also, could you please give us a tutorial on how to make our own Daisy model?

Also, could you please give us a tutorial on how to make our own Daisy model?

I'll see what I can do. I have a reserved Tri-ang DMU for such a video but it's currently waiting on some new wheels to arrive from Ultrascale so it's on hold for the moment. I will be doing a video on how to make a GER Y6 Tram soon so that would be something to look forward to. 

I'll see what I can do. I have a reserved Tri-ang DMU for such a video but it's currently waiting on some new wheels to arrive from Ultrascale so it's on hold for the moment. I will be doing a video on how to make a GER Y6 Tram soon so that would be something to look forward to. 

Me, I would be using the modern Hornby DMU for Daisy.

• 1 month later...

OK, thought I'd give you guys a small update as how things are progressing. 

I had to spend some time away from the layout in order to focus on my job but have been given some time towards the layout and what progress has been done to get it ready for it's next show in April. 

Recently finished rewiring the points but have noticed I've wired the wrong switches to the wrong points but luckily this can easily be fixed so I don't have to worry about it for now. 

In the goods sidings, where the cattle dock and goods depot is, I've installed an isolating switch which will prove to be of great use for when it comes to operating the layout. So now I can have 'Percy' arrive with his goods train, shunt half the wagons into place and then hold him in the isolating section and have 'Toby' come on and do his bit. Once 'Toby' is gone, I can let 'Percy' resume his shunting and have him move onto the next step of the layout's operation. 

I've also been busy with some new engines to my collection. If you remember on one of my blogs, I have been busy painting up a K's/Keyser terrier to represent 'Stepney', from the bluebell railway. This model was recently finished a few weeks ago as well as a nearly finished model of 'Oliver', made also from a K's/Keyser kit. Both models will be performing as guest engines on the layout and will be uncharge of enthusiasts trains which will comprise of two modified Dapol Rail-bus kits. So far, one of these kits is in it's building stages. 

Stepney

Oliver

Still have a few other things to sort out but for now thats the progress that's been done so far. 
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of doing Oliver for sometime myself. Not with the Hornby model, but with the modern, up-to-date tooling from Hattons.

Well the choice is your when it comes to modelling characters. I mainly stick with how the Reverend modelled his characters. 

Also, and forgive me if I'm sounding rude, but would you mind not replying with how your going to build your models on this page please. I believe Corbs has mentioned before. It's fine for your own pages but not here please, unless it has anything that could provide assistance with a project I'm working on. Thanks. 

Anyway. Ffarquhar is now nearing it's competition with it's upgrades and just a few scenic items are being seen to before the locos and rolling stock can be properly looked over before the layout's next show. 

20180317 200729

20180317 200748

20180317 200758

So only these scenic touch ups and a change of a signal lever, which snapped while testing it, the layout is near enough ready to go. I will making a video diary of my time at the layout's next show and give a sum up as how the event went for me. 
  • Like 6

Well the choice is your when it comes to modelling characters. I mainly stick with how the Reverend modelled his characters. 

Also, and forgive me if I'm sounding rude, but would you mind not replying with how your going to build your models on this page please. I believe Corbs has mentioned before. It's fine for your own pages but not here please, unless it has anything that could provide assistance with a project I'm working on. Thanks. 

Anyway. Ffarquhar is now nearing it's competition with it's upgrades and just a few scenic items are being seen to before the locos and rolling stock can be properly looked over before the layout's next show. 

So only these scenic touch ups and a change of a signal lever, which snapped while testing it, the layout is near enough ready to go. I will making a video diary of my time at the layout's next show and give a sum up as how the event went for me. 

Glad to hear from you again! Nice to see your layout is changing and progressing in terms of lock, stock and such.