The Ffarquhar Branch

WhitehouseFilms

• RMweb Premium

I saw the mkII layout plus the Reverend Awdry at Gloucester Model Railway Show many years ago. He had a controller in a box which had a loop of material attached which allowed him to hang the material around his neck to operate the controls. He described in a deep voice what was happening on the layout.. Making visiting children aware not to touch the model.

I watched for a while and he didn't need to prod, poke or cajole any of the locos or stock.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mr Le 231G,

I'm pretty certain that CJF provided a plan very directly based on "Portreath", including the sneaky-circuit, as one of his very early "plans for modellers", somewhere about the time of the IA to Peco transfer, and in the write-up talks about going to visit Mr. Deane.

I get my old RMs on loan from a friend, who lives several counties away, a year at a time, and am in 1959 right now, so unfortunately can't check.

K

I've had a browse through the "Railway Modeller Layout Plans" booklets nos 1 to 4, published by Peco in 1953 and 1954. Apart from delightful distractions such as early versions of Torpoint, the North Devonshire, Craig and Mertonford, Crewchester, Charford and the Sherwood Section among others, volume 1 includes Maurice Deane's Culm Valley Branch (which also features as plan 55 in the first edition of "60 Plans for Small Railways"), while volume 4 includes a CJF design "Based on the principles laid down by M. E. J. Deane". No explicit reference to Portreath though I'm afraid.

• RMweb Premium

I've had a browse through the "Railway Modeller Layout Plans" booklets nos 1 to 4, published by Peco in 1953 and 1954. Apart from delightful distractions such as early versions of Torpoint, the North Devonshire, Craig and Mertonford, Crewchester, Charford and the Sherwood Section among others, volume 1 includes Maurice Deane's Culm Valley Branch (which also features as plan 55 in the first edition of "60 Plans for Small Railways"), while volume 4 includes a CJF design "Based on the principles laid down by M. E. J. Deane". No explicit reference to Portreath though I'm afraid.

Further to the above, I ran Portreath through my copy of the late Bill Massey's Railway Search index and found that Maurice Deane's Portreath was featured in the August-September 1950 RM. The "other" Portreath layout was built by Dave Johnson of the West Herts EM Gauge Circle and appeared in the February 1962 RM.

post-16689-0-82888300-1463586086.jpg

More on old backscenes. This is the master guide to a set of 10 scenic backgrounds produced by Modelcraft ltd, back in the late 40s/50s. They came as a set of sheets similar to A4 (but the old imperial size), on a grid, and the idea was that you scaled up to your size. The only one that was 'village' style is number 4.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of thoughts, while it's quiet. A) how do you transport the layout. Is it in two pieces or hinged, as the original, and do you use a trolley or assistants? B) it occurs to me that using the main station boards of two similar layouts, with the second one positioned as a mirror image and taking the place of the halt, would give much more operational scope? The two boards could be seperated, and joined by bridging boards at each end, giving an 'inside' operated roundy-roundy layout with basically two fiddle yards. My mind works in odd ways sometimes!

Sorry for the late reply. Been away from the forum for a bit.

In answer to your question, transporting the layout is done as you said- the two boards are hinged in the middle to make a box of 2ft x 6ft x 1ft  9inches and can be taken to and from shows in the back of the car or hired van. 

The halt, at the front of the layout, plays part in the layout's operation. The Railway Modeller article provides the reader a complete guide as to how the layout's operation commences which features a variety of train movements. When I last exhibited my last Ffarquhar layout before this one, I followed these movements with a few changes when operating it a second time as I was also running my Mavis and Daisy models as well. There is an operation sequence that includes these locos but I've yet to seek that out and to study it. When i get this current layout finished and displayed at it's first show, I might just run Thomas, Percy & Toby, with Duck standing by as spare engine. 

Recently I've gotten the new back scene into place and it really looks the part. I've only got one end of it secured to one of the batons at the layout's edge but will need to have a second secure point at the other end. Just beyond the platform, on the original, there is a sort of scenic shrubbery built up on a raised base, a small retaining wall. Here I will cut a bit of wood to shape and using this will help secure the scenic board into place and hide it by building the scenery over it. My Main focus for the minute is the retaining wall at the end of the line. Now I've been looking for some suitable walls for this but none seemed to suite and those that are were out of production. In the end I found word's worth model Railways which had a set of Downloadable retaining walls that are just right for my layout. After printing a few out as well as some brick paper, I glued the walls to some foam board, trimmed part of where the arches joined and the inner of the arch, i stuck some of the brick paper on to some card and glued that behind the arch. With a bit of painting or a slight wash, it should look the part. Wordsworth also had a signal box similar to the Ffarquhar one so it too will need some attention to it. 

I will have photos up in the next few days of the progress but thats the updates so far.

• Like 1

It does raise a question about where one recruits sufficient pall bearers. IIRC, the Rev Awdry used the local scout troop.

K

I have a few friends who attend the model railway shows with me so they offer their services when I need to take a break or photograph some of the other layouts. They may not be sufficient as pall barrels but they do their best. 

• 2 weeks later...

So recently the Ffarquhar branch has been having some new items in place. the New back scene is now glued into place and just needs the other end of it screwed into place for security. The retaining walls at the station end are now also glued into place and are awaiting for the last bits of hillside to be placed on top before the construction of the station platform could commence. You can see the installation in the following video

I also took some time one evening making a tutorial on how to make model trees, using methods from the RM article and also the 70's programme 'Model World'. I find these methods cheap and easy to use to make some fantastic model trees.

Some new rolling stock is also in the works. The first being 1of 3 wagons for The Ffarquhar Quarry Company LTD, made using the Ratio 3 plank wagon. 

gallery_29015_4386_102359.jpg

gallery_29015_4386_1685.jpg

Progress on my model of Toby is coming along well too, just needs the rest of the framing at the front to be made and needs a roof made. 

gallery_29015_4386_34010.jpg

gallery_29015_4386_115928.jpg

Finally my Reidpath model for Thomas has now recently been stripped down from it's black livery by using the method of bathing it in Detol for 24hrs and with the aid of an old toothbrush and cocktail stick, was able to get all the paint off ready for it's new livery. A new Chimney from an old Hornby Thomas, which will be getting a new chimney anyway, was then glued into place. Might get a die cast one if anyone has any good examples that come close tot he original type. Before I can paint the model I have to get some additional items which will make it close to the original. Some Steps will be needed as well as some handrail knobs for the boiler and smokebox areas. The handrail knobs I've already gotten from Ebay so some loco steps will be the next item. 

Edited by WhitehouseFilms
  • Like 2

Mr Le 231G,

I'm pretty certain that CJF provided a plan very directly based on "Portreath", including the sneaky-circuit, as one of his very early "plans for modellers", somewhere about the time of the IA to Peco transfer, and in the write-up talks about going to visit Mr. Deane.

I get my old RMs on loan from a friend, who lives several counties away, a year at a time, and am in 1959 right now, so unfortunately can't check.

K

I found a plan based on the Deane principal in an early RM but it was very small so I think it must have been later than his first plan based on Portreath. I'll dig it out to find the date

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone

My apologies for not keeping you all updated but a lot has been happening, mainly work for university. During the summer I was kept busy on getting my layout ready in time for it's first exhibition in November this year. Because this layout was designed to operate a working timetable, it was essential that all necessary items that play part in it worked with no faults. The main pain was the signalling. On the original layout, the signals were all square post upper quadrant type so it was important that for this replica the would be too. Although it's funny how in the original books the signals were lower quadrant. Strange. My signals are made using the Ratio Easy Assembly kits, modified to have LMS arms work on them. It took some jigging around, bending wire to a workable length and ensure that it works well. They often stuck when setting to DANGER so to ensure they do so I stuck some bent brass behind the arms. Now they all work properly and quite reliable too. 

After that it was sorting out the last bits of track work so that each rolling stock can be stored and uncoupled and have enough room to be coupled together again. 

At first I used the delay version of the S&W couplings but this made collecting wagons a problem. When I went to Wales to see the original models of Thomas and his Friends I found that the Rev Awdry used the MRK1 type for all his rolling stock, and had a very good and very easy method on fitting them. But some tricks of the modeller are best kept quiet so I'm afraid I can't explain on how they were fitted. Sorry.

After getting a supply of the MRK 1 couplings I spent sometime fitting them to my coaches and wagons and I'm very pleased on how well they performed. 

Once all the problems were fixed, Final bits of scenery and station details were completed. 

The final item to be added to the layout was a Station Totem sign.

gallery_29015_4385_61728.jpg

gallery_29015_4385_120146.jpg

gallery_29015_4385_166883.jpg

gallery_29015_4385_47.jpg

gallery_29015_4385_196836.jpg

gallery_29015_4385_251413.jpg

gallery_29015_4385_142410.jpg

On 11th of November, my Dad haired a van and we packed the layout up and transported it to where it's first exhibition was to take place. The following morning, 'The Ffarquhar Branch' was first exhibited at the Friends of Cultra Model Railway Day. 

Here are some photos of the layout once it was set up. 

gallery_29015_4385_198174.jpg

gallery_29015_4385_57213.jpg

gallery_29015_4385_232777.jpg

The day of the show went so fast I couldn't remember much as what happened. But for you, my dear reader, I'll do my best to reflect on the day's events. 

Many people came to the show and many found their way to my layout. Most of them were older gentlemen while a few were little ones. A few old friends came by, one whom had taken a liken to my Toby model and requested him to come out for a photo. But in-between the operation of my layout, I took the odd 10min break to wonder around and to take some inspiration from some of the other layouts that took part in the show. For my next Vlog it was important that I took a video or photograph of them so that I didn't leave any of them out. I did managed to video all of them and many were very well made. Out of the lot I'd say my favourites would have to be one called 'Scouts' day Out' & the Hornby Dublo shop display layout. I also made a quick trip to the museum's gift shop to buy some sweets to keep me going. Among the items there were Railway themed Teddy Bears, station master ones was all they had for the time being. I couldn't help but buy one as a sort of good luck charm for me when I take the layout to show. I named him 'Wilbeart' and pinned a badge that I had made with the Railway Series' logo on it's waistcoat.

Back to my layout again and I couldn't help overhearing some of the comments that my layout was getting. I don't know what it was but there was something about the way I built the layout that interested the public. Was because it was a Thomas themed layout or was it something different all together? One comment, I think, was to do with the buildings and the backgrounds blending in together so well. Well they were from the same manufacture so who could blame them?

Among the many that came to the show, I was surprised that I was recognised by a few Thomas YouTubers who dropped by to say hi and to ask a few questions about the layout. So that was a nice addition to the day

But the feedback from the visitors was good none the less. But one issue I had during the day was Thomas' motor. Because I was still using the original motor, it often played up on me as if it refused to cooperate with the operation of the layout. It was a pity I hadn't Duck or my spare Thomas handy but everyone wanted to see Thomas and so thats how it stayed. 

Come 16:50 everyone was getting themselves backed up and so another day came to a close. I must confess, the day went by a lot quicker than I thought. 2 years getting gate layout ready only to have the main day go so fast you don't know if it was worth it or not. 

But it was.

To see the layout perform at the show, here is a video that I made the day after the show. 

2017 will mark 10 years since I first began modelling the Ffarquhar branch as a return to the hobby. During then I've always wanted to capture the original layout, so I just hope this final attempt has made that aim possible. For anyone here who has seen the original Ffarquhar Branch Layout in person, Do you think it's a close resemblance?

Edited by WhitehouseFilms
  • Like 6

2017 will mark 10 years since I first began modelling the Ffarquhar branch as a return to the hobby. During then I've always wanted to capture the original layout, so I just hope this final attempt has made that aim possible. For anyone here who has seen the original Ffarquhar Branch Layout in person, Do you think it's a close resemblance?

I think I saw it in person but I was very young. From published photos of the original Ffarquhar I'd say you've done a brilliant job of recreating it and I can almost see the late Reverend himself at the controls. I wonder if you might get in touch with Christopher Awdry.

I found the Cyril Freezer plan that I referred to in #38. It was "layouts for the modeller no. 3" in RM no 11 (still published by Ian Allan) in July-August 1950. It was "based on the principles laid down by Maurice Dean and followed by Colson" and was for a 6ft x 5ft layout with a central operating well and a through station with a goods siding where Awdry just had a halt.  There's no reference to his visiiting Mauruce Dean in that article but he did have some photos (though no plan) of a similar layout built by E.F. Colson in a butler's pantry 6ft x 4ft-5 ft 6 ins in his Editor's Notebook in the January-February edition no 8. following a visit. Colson's layout was "based on and inspired by" Maruce Dean's Portreath. Colson and Dean both lived in Britsol a short walk from one another so I assume they were acquainted.    

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

I wonder if you might get in touch with Christopher Awdry.

When I began my modelling of this Branch I met Mr Awdry at Pecorama doing a book signing. He was just setting up when I arrived and so we had a small chat. I mentioned my project to him and asked if it was ok to replicate his father's layout. He was very pleased to hear of it and wished me the very best in my course of the project. That was in July 2008. During this Summer, I received a card from Mr Awdry wishing me the very best with The Ffarquhar Branch's first exhibit and to thank me for a gift that I had sent to him which was a replica of his original wooden Thomas loco, which he sadly lost when visiting America. So I think that answers that question. 

• Like 2

When I began my modelling of this Branch I met Mr Awdry at Pecorama doing a book signing. He was just setting up when I arrived and so we had a small chat. I mentioned my project to him and asked if it was ok to replicate his father's layout. He was very pleased to hear of it and wished me the very best in my course of the project. That was in July 2008. During this Summer, I received a card from Mr Awdry wishing me the very best with The Ffarquhar Branch's first exhibit and to thank me for a gift that I had sent to him which was a replica of his original wooden Thomas loco, which he sadly lost when visiting America. So I think that answers that question.

That's really good to hear. I hope I'll be able to see the layout at an exhibition sometime.

I enjoyed your video of the layout. Good to see one properly shot and edited and it does show off the layout's operational potential.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Further to the above, I ran Portreath through my copy of the late Bill Massey's Railway Search index and found that Maurice Deane's Portreath was featured in the August-September 1950 RM. The "other" Portreath layout was built by Dave Johnson of the West Herts EM Gauge Circle and appeared in the February 1962 RM.

The Dave Johnson 'Portreath' gets a mention in MRJ No. 137 as a tribute by Bob Essery.

I hope that the layout will come to East Anglia sometime, 

Especially since Wilbert wrote several of his books whilst living in East Anglia. (There's apparently now a G scale railway in the garden of his former rectory at Emsworth, where a certain tank engine puts in appearances from time to time....)

I have a photocopy of the Maurice Dean Portreath article from the August-September RM. I cant post the plan for copyright reasons but if anyone wants to see it for private research PM me.  Dean's Portreath didn't actually last long as a visit to the Culm Valley line inspired him to use the same baseboards for a fairly complete model of the branch. For that he didn't use the "Dean Fiddle Yard" (as CJF referred to it)  trick of hiding it behind the terminus with a link to provide a continuous run but instead had an imaginary "junction yard" fully scenicced in front of one of the two through stations.

Maurice Dean seems to have been a serial builder of relatively small layouts with most only appearing once in print. I don't know if he was a regular exhibitor. His subsequent layouts that I've seen in RM and MRN were based on real locations but compressed. They included Wantage (00 in 4x2ft6in  with very tight curves !) , Welshpool NG, Jersey and the Rye and Camber Tramway but there may have been others .  He tended to use a solid baseboard and lay an oval with a passing loop (which presumably served as a fiddle yard for out and back working)  then have the terminus effectively as a branch inside the oval as in Portreath and as used by Awdry for Ffarquhar.

I was looking at Dave Johnson's Portreath article in a bound volume of RM recently but it only had the name and a GW theme in common with Maurice Dean's Portreath and was a well modelled but fairly conventional linear BLT-fiddle yard.

Edited by Pacific231G

• 4 months later...

Little update from the Ffarquhar Branch.

With most of my time being taken up with University, the layout wasn't used that often except for the odd stress relief. Since I first exhibited the layout in November last year, the layout will need to go through a small bit of maintenance; mostly the rewiring of the points. Underneath the layout is a spider web of wires, each one leading to a point motor around the station area. Among them are the signal operation strings which also need to be handled carefully when it comes to the rewiring of the points.

Because this layout is designed to be shown at exhibitions, I have to ensure that the layout is ready to run and without faults. One of these faults is stalls on points or along the sidings. These are not common but can be an issue when carrying out shunting manoeuvres with Percy's small wheelbase. I am interested on getting the Gaugemaster HF1 Electric track cleaner as I have read some very good reviews of it's performance and reliability when it comes to locos staling on insult-frog turnouts.

Now as I've mentioned before, because I'm replicating an original layout I'm also replicating the original locos & rolling stock. The main locos of the Branch have been modelled with Toby and Duck still left to do but there will come a time when one of them should fail. This too happened with the original locos so spare models were made for back up. Thomas and Percy's spare models were made from Tri-ang locomotives, a repainted Jinty and a modified Nellie (Saddle tank from a Kitmaster J94 kit, Cylinders from a Pug Kit and valve gear from a Tri-ang Princess) To help the locos run smoothly on the fine scale layout, Romford wheels were fitted in place of the largely flanged & 'Clumsy' Tri-ang ones which is where I've hit a small snag with this task.

I have read a few posts on here about re-wheeling Tri-ang stock but I'm still puzzled on how to do it and what items I should get. There haven't been any videos or magazine guides on how to do it which has left me stumped. Would someone here provide me with a basic guide on how I could do that, please? I would be most grateful.

I have a photocopy of the Maurice Dean Portreath article from the August-September RM. I cant post the plan for copyright reasons but if anyone wants to see it for private research PM me. Dean's Portreath didn't actually last long as a visit to the Culm Valley line inspired him to use the same baseboards for a fairly complete model of the branch. For that he didn't use the "Dean Fiddle Yard" (as CJF referred to it) trick of hiding it behind the terminus with a link to provide a continuous run but instead had an imaginary "junction yard" fully scenicced in front of one of the two through stations.

Maurice Dean seems to have been a serial builder of relatively small layouts with most only appearing once in print. I don't know if he was a regular exhibitor. His subsequent layouts that I've seen in RM and MRN were based on real locations but compressed. They included Wantage (00 in 4x2ft6in with very tight curves !) , Welshpool NG, Jersey and the Rye and Camber Tramway but there may have been others . He tended to use a solid baseboard and lay an oval with a passing loop (which presumably served as a fiddle yard for out and back working) then have the terminus effectively as a branch inside the oval as in Portreath and as used by Awdry for Ffarquhar.

I was looking at Dave Johnson's Portreath article in a bound volume of RM recently but it only had the name and a GW theme in common with Maurice Dean's Portreath and was a well modelled but fairly conventional linear BLT-fiddle yard.

Maurice Deane also built Hampstead Moreton, a fairly conventional (for its time) coarse-scale 0 gauge outdoor layout. It easy Railway of the Month in RM some time around 1970.

• Informative/Useful 1