Scrap wagon conversions of HEA hoppers.

br2975

Can anyone shed light on the following please

How long did the 1989 SJA conversions of HEA wagons 360040, 360761 & 361486 remain in scrap carrying (or revenue) service ?

It appears they carried ‘Railfreight’ flame red livery when originally converted, and this soon became battered and careworn. Did they receive any other livery and/or what livery did they carry at withdrawl ?

Can anyone confirm the date(s) the two prototype scrap wagons 39000 and 390001 built on HEA underframes were withdrawn from revenue service. I am aware they spent a large part of the 1980s in departmental service coded ZRA, but I believe they returned to Sheerness scrap traffic before their final demise, allegedly 1992, but can anyone confirm this ?.

And finally, does anyone know when the HSA ‘conversions’ of HEA hoppers were finally withdrawn from scrap traffic – I seem to recall some in ASW traffic at Cardiff Tidal circa 1996 but stand to be corrected.

I have the MORILL article on the HEA hoppers and conversions but would appreciate any further info.

Thanks

Brian R

Can anyone shed light on the following please

How long did the 1989 SJA conversions of HEA wagons 360040, 360761 & 361486 remain in scrap carrying (or revenue) service ?

It appears they carried ‘Railfreight’ flame red livery when originally converted, and this soon became battered and careworn. Did they receive any other livery and/or what livery did they carry at withdrawl ?

Can anyone confirm the date(s) the two prototype scrap wagons 39000 and 390001 built on HEA underframes were withdrawn from revenue service. I am aware they spent a large part of the 1980s in departmental service coded ZRA, but I believe they returned to Sheerness scrap traffic before their final demise, allegedly 1992, but can anyone confirm this ?.

And finally, does anyone know when the HSA ‘conversions’ of HEA hoppers were finally withdrawn from scrap traffic – I seem to recall some in ASW traffic at Cardiff Tidal circa 1996 but stand to be corrected.

I have the MORILL article on the HEA hoppers and conversions but would appreciate any further info.

Thanks

Brian R

Last sighting of HSAs in traffic that I can recall was about 1994, but a large number were taken out of service some time before that.

Hi Brian

I am afraid I can't help with the information you require, but as you have a similar interest to me, have a look at the short film that I recently uploaded to Utube it shows a few HSA's amongst other scrap wagons taken in 1989 at Whitemoor yard.

Cheers

Bob

Archived