Fairdoos

Although the title may not register with anyone the name has been changed to protect the innocent!! The layout is based as close as possible to 'Allhallows-on-Sea'. The station was only short lived as it opened in 1932 and closed in 1961.

The reason for this project? -- A glimpse of a photograph of a scissor cross over in a book belonging to a friend of mine. As with these things it lingered at the back of my mind for some time before I decided to investigate further. After some initial searches it was decided, lets go for it!! The layout is 16ft. long (12ft scenic) by 27 inches wide and only covers the area of the station up to just past the scissor crossing.

The era as yet has not been decided nut because it was so short lived I was aiming for late 50's.

I have been working on this for a few months now but need to reduce picture file size to show progress so far. This may be a drawn out posting as I am not so up on this type of thing but I will do my best to keep it up to date.

Roger.

• RMweb Gold

Nice looking layout. I look forward to seeing it develop as I spent many happy weekends as a child in Allhallows as my Nan & Grandad had a static caravan there. However that was long after the railway had gone and I never even realised their had been one.

Gary

Good choice of prototype; I've always liked the "Southern Basic" style of the place, and the vaguely train-set feel.

Excellent bit of modelling, especially that canopy.

K

PS: one "era option" would be to finish it in late-1930s style, the operate trains as they were from then up to closure, because it didn't change hugely over that time. Mind you, you won't have a lot of trains to operate, if you keep to prototype; it wasn't exactly a roaring success as a traffic-generator.

Thanks for the interest and comments. The layout is 00 gauge, using code 100 Peco flexitrack with electro frog points. The idea is to view it from what would have been the seaward side so the station building and turntable are seen to their best advantage. There was a rather ugly corrugated goods shed on the site but this will be omitted for clarity.

I will endeavour to keep you up to date as things progress.

Roger.

But lots of us like ugly corrugated goods sheds!

I do like the little signalbox - a bit like Grain Crossing almost.

- from a former Medway dweller whose parents for some reason preferred more exotic seaside destinations like Birchington on Sea or the Romney Marsh coast.

Archived