Shapeways Full Colour Sandstone for Buildings

Anybody used? Anybody have some examples they could show? 

I've always overlooked this section of the materials, but thinking about it, it may be the perfect way to represent brick built structures, depending of course how coarse the texture is. 

• 2 weeks later...

What scale are you considering?  I looked into it for N but concluded that the grain size of the material made it a bit too rough for masonry to my eye.  If you are in a larger scale then it might be worth a try.

WSF is not too bad for brickwork. Problem in smaller scales is making the bricks not merge, so I am trying by increasing gaps between bricks as well as making them smaller a bit. If the gaps look too much, easy enough to fill when painting. From experience I think I should be OK.

Might be worth a couple of test pieces. If I remember correctly it isn't too horribly expensive compared to other shapeways materials.  I'd imagine that it would be too coarse for brickwork but you might get away with it for stone blocks or flagstones.  If you do try it then please do post pictures - I'd be very interested to see the results.

• 6 months later...

Does anybody know how to get full colour sandstone 3d plans onto shapeways?

I use sketchup and whenever I make models in any other material I have no problems. But it's the complications of file zipping. I've tried carefully follow the instructions. And have used Mac and windows pc's. And I've tried do it via meshlab, but the colour files never work?

I'd be tremendously greatful if anybody can show me exactly how they get it to work!!!!!

Shapeways staff haven't really helped sadly.

Thank you.

Rob

Well this is all I can show you.

It's an OO gauge chimney stack for one of my Oakworth Stations.

I think it looks great in OO for stone work. I don't know what gauge you are thinking of? But you need to get your motor gaps right for it to look right. My first attempt in N showed no mortar detail.

The first pics show the side that didn't print as well. Then the better side and a side I coloured a little.

It can be good to sand some of it and improve the mortar with a craft knife. I'd recommend sending a little design off with various sizes of mortar and a few examples of any complex bits you're dubious as to the print quality potential of. I always do that first!

Sadly I have no idea how to upload photo textures to shapeways.

As bonkers as the models look on my computer, the shapeways instructions and their staff have failed to help.

Even when I offered to pay them well to help me out of hours when they're less busy. No help for love nor money.

Good look!

Rob

post-30092-0-24309200-1479945814_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-74665000-1479945831_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-02265700-1479945844_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-01406400-1479945868_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-34574700-1479945882_thumb.jpg

Archived