Hinton Manor, rebuild.

Kris

• RMweb Premium

After a little negotiation I seem to have ended up the owner of a model of Hinton Manor.
Someone at some point has taken a good deal of care in painting the model however they appear to have built most of it using glue, possibly Evostick. Time and the postal system has not been kind so the model is now in several pieces.

I can see that with lots of work this has the potential to be a lovel model.

Now for the questions...

1. Any ideas as to a manufacture. It is certainly a kit, but quite an old one looking at the frames. It appears to be a mix of brass and possibly white metal.

2. Any suggestions as to how to remove the glue other than scraping it (which has worked on a small bit).

post-163-0-05751400-1462553483_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Here are a few more photos of the loco. I have not included photos of the various extra bits that have already come astray. 

post-163-0-42369500-1462555266.jpg

post-163-0-23696600-1462555267.jpg

post-163-0-63352300-1462555268.jpg

post-163-0-55514100-1462555269.jpg

post-163-0-35912900-1462555270.jpg

post-163-0-12027800-1462555271.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Manufature identity - I'm now 95% sure that this is a Springside model. White metal soldering here we come. 

Manufature identity - I'm now 95% sure that this is a Springside model. White metal soldering here we come. 

Definitely Springside and will look excellent when your Ikea skills are applied.

They are not exactly this year's model but they do look good.

Looks like yours has an aftermarket gearbox.  My only concern is whether the 1833 is up to pulling 2kg of pewter and a trailing load?

• RMweb Premium

Definitely Springside and will look excellent when your Ikea skills are applied.

They are not exactly this year's model but they do look good.

Looks like yours has an aftermarket gearbox.  My only concern is whether the 1833 is up to pulling 2kg of pewter and a trailing load?

We shall have to see about the motor, but as I don't have an accessible layout for this, a trailing load is a mute point at the moment. 

• RMweb Premium

Some gentle investigation has revealed that there have been at least 2 different glues used. One of these is a superglue, the other is a more rubbery glue. Both can be scraped off with a bit of effort. The cab sides are now clear of glue however. 

Some gentle investigation has revealed that there have been at least 2 different glues used. One of these is a superglue, the other is a more rubbery glue. Both can be scraped off with a bit of effort. The cab sides are now clear of glue however. 

I rescued as glue built Springside 45xx 4 years ago http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53106-springside-45xx/page-3

I put the whole thing in the freezer to loosen the EvoStick etc. Worked well as ice seems to shatter the cement.

Took quite a bit of heat to solder the biggest lumps of WM despite the low nominal melting point.

• RMweb Premium

I rescued as glue built Springside 45xx 4 years ago http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53106-springside-45xx/page-3

You made a cracking job of that 45xx

I put the whole thing in the freezer to loosen the EvoStick etc. Worked well as ice seems to shatter the cement.

So far paint stripper has removed both types of glue on the small part that I have tried it on. I can foresee that this is going to be a long process with the deconstruction most likely taking much less time than the reconstruction.  

Archived