Permanent track supply?

D5541

Morning all

I'll stick this under electrics as I'm guessing that's what the problem is! Basically I'm building a small N gauge layout (pic attached somewhere) and the power supply is an elderly Farish controller, attached to the track wires with chocolate box connectors.

Now, I haven't tried with any other locos yet, but my test loco is a brand new Farish (Bachmann) 08.

Basic issue is, while the directional switch is in the off position, nothing happens, but as soon as a direction is selected, the loco starts moving, even with the dial turned off, it's runs ok making it go faster and slower, but there is always a supply going to the track apparently so the loco never stops completely.

Sooooooo, is this because

A ) it's an old controller n needs replacing

B ) it's a new loco and it's more sensitive than the older ones

C ) something to do with my chosen method of connecting the track to the power

D ) something else I've missed?

Cheers

Dan :-)

post-11486-0-63185600-1462705413_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You've basically answered your own questions but...

A/ YES,

B/ yes,

C/ No,

D/ Probably not.

I can't recommend any new 'n' gauge controllers but I am sure some here can.

Ask at your local model shop. They may have one/some from sets that have been broken up.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

The cause, is that many cheap (and not so cheap) train set controllers, don't actually turn off, but turn down. This leaves a low voltage (perhaps 2 volts), which with older motors, wouldn't be enough to make the motors turn (could generate heat though).

However newer motors will creep along as you have found out.

The fix is to replace the controller, as depending of the age of your fleet, other locos will do the same.

As to which controller, well I don't model N, so leave that for others. Something Gaugemaster?

The cause, is that many cheap (and not so cheap) train set controllers, don't actually turn off, but turn down. This leaves a low voltage (perhaps 2 volts), which with older motors, wouldn't be enough to make the motors turn (could generate heat though).

However newer motors will creep along as you have found out.

The fix is to replace the controller, as depending of the age of your fleet, other locos will do the same.

As to which controller, well I don't model N, so leave that for others. Something Gaugemaster?

I seem to remember Gaugemaster's instructions warning that your locos may creep unless the direction switch was turned to off.

Thanks for the answers guys :-)

I did try a second Farish controller of equal vintage and that had the same effect. 99% of my fleet is pre Bachmann stuff (probably dates to '95 or '96, the rest I inherited from Grandad and is a mix of Minitrix and kit build stuff.

Just realised it's been at least 15 years since I had an N gauge layout, probably explains the noise the 47 made when I tried to run it...

The 08 was new last weekend having only started the layout in the last month or so and is the only one that creeps.

Looks like I'll have to update my controller :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived