Layout to transport in a suitcase

I have decided to build all new layouts(unless I have already started and done too much) to fit inside a large suitcase. I have seen one which should allow a layout board of up to 30in by about 18in, and if I build two section which can be put together That gives me a good size, even for bigger scales. It could be smaller, and then a more substantial fiddle yard could be done. I might even go back to my cardboard fruit box as a structure. I can test this out with my St Pons d'Étropal HO layout, which I have dug out and intend to exhibit over the next year.
Idea would then to be to see if it was possible to get to exhibitions by train.
Apart from the size, the other challenge would be to keep weight as low as possible. My lightweight 3D printed buildings may well prove to be a big advantage.

Obvious I would need another smaller bag/case for all the bits, plus stuff for overnight etc.

When I originally built my Port d'Étropal it was planned to take that on trains, but it got too big(and heavy). This time I think I will be successful. My 'Chrismas 1945' layout, used the two half idea, and I had originally hoped to find a period style suitcase or any case, but could not find one, so it was a build to resemble an ammunition box. It was heavy though.

Even if I still have to use my car, it would mean just one trip from car to exhibition venue. Aim would be to try and use train , and use that as a gimmick itself.

There was a guy with an S gauge layout that he took to exhibitions by train. Using a large suitcase, it should not be that difficult to build a reasonable layout in HO or any of the narrow gauge varieties.

Is that Maurice Hopper of this parish?

cheers

One layout I am planning is in 16mm/ft  . It will only be small, and to actually display it it will require my car as I plan to put it on my old army stretcher, but the layout itself will be transported in a suitcase.

Idea here for the two box halves.

2box-design1.jpg

Many of the mini folding layouts done have still been relatively heavy. I intend to use very lightweight materials and some novel ways to hold sections together.

It is easier in smaller scales, but I model in scales up to 1/12th scale, with some ideas for even bigger ones. I have found that bigger scales often require less space because of the z dimension. I am also thinking of a gauge 1 layout(standard gauge) as well as various narrow gauge layouts using 16.5mm gauge. HO and OO layouts are also planned.

N gauge is relatively easy. It is a bit like all those layout challenges, which suit smaller scales. The best one was the one based on an A4 sheet of paper, with different numbers of sheets depending on the scale you were working on.

For me making use of the Z dimension for bigger scales is essential, it tends to get noticed at exhibitions, and I can pack a lot of visual punch into what is really only a small layout. I have tried all sorts of combinations in the past. Layouts which just need to be put on a table to layouts where everything has to be set up and positioned, then packed away at the end. I am edging more towards the layout which needs some setting up, but then packs away in 5 minutes(I might have a train to catch!).

one of the first 2mm scale(pre N gauge) was built in violin or guitar case. That type of challenge has been done a lot, and most are only smaller scales. Would be interesting to see say O gauge or G gauge in a guitar case.

It is not just being able to carry in a case, but the amount of assembly needs to kept to a minimum. The 5min clear up is part of the challenge for me, having spent far too much time having to clear up at end of an exhibition.

Simon,

seriously: if you plan to go by train to exhibit and are aiming for a single suitcase solution, pls do remember to put cushioned (?) wheels onto your suitcase. Also maybe an integral foold-out-support for operating at shows.

:angel: now for the fun part: optional extras include a coffee/tea maker, fridge, mobile charging station (all powered by 12 V DC) :O

Christian

Edited for typos

• RMweb Premium

post-318-0-23789400-1462971740.jpg

Has also travelled to a (local) show by bicycle.

Barber's Bridge - 3' x 9", simple softwood frame/ply top/hardboard back/end panels. Carrying handle on rear side and detachable lid. EM Gauge, very simple inglenook loco stabling point.

Built by Tony Wood some 20 years ago, on very long term loan to me. It will be at expoEM in Bracknell this coming Sunday and the DEMU Showcase in Burton 4/5 June. Most likely both by train.

I'm currently playing with some foamboard sheets with a view to something of similar size but with a proper facia and lighting rig, so it'll be 3' x 9" x 9-12" high, some form of shunting yard/puzzle in H0 using a sector plate to save space and perhaps with swappable scenics (or even the whole scenic board) to allow alternate US and DDR operation.

I know it is possible to take a big box on train, assuming it is not crowded, but I am looking at a more practical way, especially as I am looking at longer journeys. Also I plan to use lightweight materials, having built several cardboard/fruit box layouts in the past. It is one of those that I plan to test the idea with..

I have plenty of padding material as well.

Just got hold of a suitable case. I think it is big enough, certainly for the 70cm max length I plan to use. Note that I have my new 3D printed track connector sections to go across board joins so I am not restricted to one board.  This will also make it easier and quicker to set up and take apart.

I have seen the layout in a trunk(it is not a suitcase), and it would be tricky to take on a train these days. It is also small scale, and as I have said the real challenge only begins when you try it with bigger scales. Having said that, the layout I have which I will test out is only HO. Another will only be OO, but others polanned are in 1/32 narrow gauge(OK it is still 16.5mm gauge), 1/55 narrow gauge(again only 16.5mm gauge) ,1/32 32mm gauge, G1 (45mm gauge), SM32 and more. These bigger scales need more height and that is something I think I have sussed out.

I keep eying a big suitcase that SWMBO bought for using on holidays, for which, frankly, I find it too big, or rather too heavy once filled.

Not this exact design, but very similar http://www.americantourister.co.uk/palm-valley-ltd-ed-4-wheel-spinner-77cm-large-suitcase-fly-away-black/product-en.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=google_merchant_gb&gclid=CLDb44a60swCFTUo0wodbLENRQ

I was thinking along similar lines to R-de-E, but with coarse-0 scale in mind. It is definitely do-able, although in the end I opted to build plywood baseboards, which fit face-to-face, rather than commandeer the suitcase. One of those very lightweight folding sack-barrow things will serve to provide wheels and a handle.

BTW, Don SIbley used to bring his HOe layouts to Expo-NG from the continent, on Eurostar.

Kevin

Eurostar is one way I would hope to travel. Even getting down to Swanley from here , might be less stressful by train, with an overnight stopover.

By just using the suitcase to transport, it means it can be used for more than one layout, or indeed used to take clothing on holiday!

Just got back from railway club,

tested one layout in suitcase, fits with space for padding and some other bits. Also tried one of my cut down APA boxes which fits snugly, but does not stretch case , so should be OK.
For new bases, I will probably adopt the 60cm by 4cm cork wall board. Found one in ASDA which has a good solid(MDF?) backing.

Depth is only issue. I did see another suitcase which looks a lot deeper, so possibly I could get one for deeper boxes.

Archived