Bachmann Brassworks Class 03

John R Smith

• RMweb Premium

I'm pleased John got his loco, it looks like a good'un. Also good to know about the Railtec decals, cream loco numbers needed.

Not quite so pleased to see Heljan are trailing an 03 years before it may appear and no doubt above £400. Dapol and Little Loco Co. Show that better value can be achieved in 7mm RTR.

Dava

Just another quick update.

I have tracked down and obtained the correct transfers - it is HMRS Sheet 14, 7mm BR Steam Era Loco and Coach Insignia (around £20 from Tower Models). This has the correct size (5mm high) cream numerals for the 03 and most important, the matching 5mm capital 'D's. But you only get four Ds so this is a pricey way of doing it at £10 per loco. However, you do get the ferret and dartboard totems and the overhead warning flashes too.

So D.2183 can at least have the correct numbers, which is a good start.

John

An update. Thanks to Dave, today a copy of "Modern Locomotives Illustrated" No 217 dropped through my letter box. Brilliant! No less than half the mag is devoted to the Class 03 shunters, with stock lists, tons of photos, even a guide to the cab controls. So I should be able to drive the real thing now . . .

There is also, as promised, a great pic of D.2183 crossing the road at Dunmere in 1965 when she was down here in Cornwall. Despite being only three years old at this point she does look rather dirty and down at heel, poor thing, and according to the magazine was withdrawn in 1968 after only six years service, which is just ridiculous when you think about it. Unlike some others she was not saved for industry or preservation and was cut up in 1970.

Anyhow, I can see quite clearly in the pic that the cabside numbers are cream and also large with the dot between the 'D' and the numerals. I have another photo of a different loco which is almost exactly at 7mm scale in the print, and measuring off that I make the numbers 5mm high or a scale 8 inches. So my very tentative findings are these -

It looks as if the class 03 locos were all delivered from Swindon and Doncaster in the green livery, initially plain but after 1960-ish with yellow and black wasp stripes. Some of them had the 8 inch steam era numerals in cream with a dot between the 'D' and the numbers. But some of them had the smaller (6 inch?) numbers in white, not cream, with the condensed style letter 'D'. Hence the confusion. And of course, as luck would have it, "my" loco has the big cream numbers. I think I can get the numbers OK, but because they are steam engine numbers there will be no letter 'D' to match them.

Anyway, the magazine is great, and thoroughly recommended if you are interested in these little engines.

John

Hello John

After reading your post I have ordered the same magazine.  I have a DJH 03 kit which I will build one day.  The kit is ok but is not the best I have seen.  They do not supply detail transfers for the inside of the cab any more so I am hoping to use the mag to make my own.  Ken

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just acquired a Brassmaster 03 identical to John's from a model shop in Kent. Will be looking to add crests and numbers appropriate to a North Country shedded loco. Pleased to acquire one of these rather than waiting for a [more expensive] Heljan version, next year maybe?

Would be useful to know what the inaccuracies of the Brassmaster 03 are in relation to green livery - will check my MLI and other books when we get home. I also have an 04 kit to build!

Dava

Archived