Bypass PCB?

David41283

Hi everyone,

I've found a couple of threads which allude to this, but I can't find this question asked quite so simply!

I have a couple of Dapol n gauge locos, knowingly purchased with defective lights - usually due to a pcb fault.

As I don't run on DCC and I don't want to repair the lights am I ok to simply remove the PCB and connect orange to red and grey to black to wire the pick-ups directly to the motor.

I can't see why this would be a problem, but I am just seeking some affirmation before starting work!

Cheers

David

That should work OK.

Yes, it'll work. But you're advised to add at least a capacitor to the circuit, which conveniently can also double up as soldering support for the wires :) A 100nF capacitor will do.

Serious question, how many scratch builders bother to fit suppression components?

Thanks for the replies, there is a capacitor elsewhere mounted to the motor. I suspect the PCB is simply there to provide a mounting point for the DCC socket and lighting system. I couldn't see why it shouldn't work. I will have a go and report back. Hopefully this should make Dapol locos more reliable as their soldering is far worse than mine!

Cheers

David 

Here it is - a Dapol 27 with a small piece of stripboard in place of the pcb. It runs beautifully and there's now nothing complicated which can go wrong! An old-fashioned easy to understand loco! 

post-16405-0-54550700-1463742921.jpg

Cheers

David

Archived