Bachmann latest LNER K3 livery correct ?

micklner

This has just arrived 

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=107358&utm_source=OOGaugeNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160518

Does anyone know if the livery is correct?. It has raised questions on the LNER forum mainly with  regard to the Tender lettering spacing and should the Red lining go to the rear in one line or in sections as done by Bachmann. I have never seen any Black LNER Tender locos lined in Red other than ones where the lining simply continues in one line around the rear of the Tender.

Hornby on the recent Roedeer B1 has the continuous Red lining on the Tender.

When are Bachmann going to get their act together and start making LNER models with the correct much thinner lining as done by Hornby for years now !!

• RMweb Premium

I must admit, when I made a K3 in LNER livery many years ago (from a Wills kit with a Hornby Footballer tender drive), I painted it with the horizontal red lines as continuous around the back of the tender, rather than as separate panels on the sides and rear, and I must have had a reason to think that was how it should be.

Having said that, the way Hornby have applied the lining to the tender of the LNER liveried D16, with separate panels, doesn't look wrong either, for that type of tender:

https://railsofsheffield.com/lner-black-4-4-0-d16-3-class-pre-1948-locomotive-8825-r3233-Hornby-JJJA25800.aspx

I wonder whether it was a case of different workshops followed different practices, and if a K3 had been repainted at Stratford (or painted by an outside loco builder), it could have been finished as per the Bachmann model?

• 11 months later...

Hi Mick and all,

this latest LNER liveried is surely far better than Bachmann's previous effort, the mostly unlined No. 2934.

Aside from what you point out re. the tender lining the latest model is also missing a thin red line around the edge of the leading pony-truck wheels and the driving wheels. I understand that there should also be a red line around the sides of the triangular, curved frame fillets in front of the smokebox.

Otherwise looks much improved over the last version.

Nick

Forgotten about this post.

Since my original posting, I have done a GCR Loco on commission, and on seeing photos for that one, it also had similar division on the corners but that is is on a Green Loco.

post-7186-0-50879600-1495286914.jpg

I agree, a much better effort than the earlier release.

• Like 1

Forgotten about this post.

Since my original posting, I have done a GCR Loco on commission, and on seeing photos for that one, it also had similar division on the corners but that is is on a Green Loco.

attachicon.gifIMG_1087.JPG

I agree, a much better effort than the earlier release.

Yes I saw that B3 - your paint and lining job has done it proud. I would very much like to see a B7 (some would say a better loco) resplendent in full LNER lined red on black one day or perhaps more realistically a non-Scottish D11 in the same black lined-red... I shall tackle one of the latter when it gets onto my bench. And all credit where it's due, it's your lining and painting endeavours that give the rest of us the inspiration if not the skills.