Morley Controller and Kato Points

Captain Mike

I am a "newbie" and a "senior" so please be patient if thre answer to my question is obvious!!  I am just putting tgether a Kato "N" gauge layout, which incorporates Kato points and a "Morley Vesta Zero 2 N" controller.  What I would like help with is connecting the points to the controller.  I suspect that I need a Kato 24-842 DC Converter, to which the points connect, but which terminals on the Morley controller do I connect the Kato converter to?  I have the option of "Points CDU" or "12V DC accessory".  Grateful for your help.

The Kato 24-842 DC convertor connects to the 16V AC output on your controller, converting the supply to DC which is what Kato points operate on.

My N gauge layout used kato unitrack and the converter connected to the 16V AC on my Gaugemaster controller.

I would use the 12v DC output. No convertor should be needed.

Assuming you're using toggle switches then my understanding of the Kato point motor operation is....

Take the 12v DC to a DPDT sprung to centre off toggle switch two tags at one end of the switch. Additionally link the left input tag to oposite ends right tag. Do the same with the right input tag linking it to the left tag at the other end (sort of X link). Connect the middle tags to the motor wires. Then flicking the switch one way causes the motor to move and flicking it the other way causes the motor to move to the other direction.

Note; a sprung to centre off switch must be used. These are often referred to as (On)-Off-(On) or momentary Double Pole Double Throw switch.

Edit to add... A CDUs output will also be DC regardless of its input supply. So it is possible you could use that instead of the 12v DC so long as the Kato motor is able to accept the increased voltage of a CDU?

The Kato 24-842 DC convertor connects to the 16V AC output on your controller, converting the supply to DC which is what Kato points operate on.

And since your controller already has a DC accessory output you don't need the convertor.

But you do need some point levers/switches in between the power supply and the points. The points do not connect direct to the supply.

Regards

PS. As Brian wrote at the same time.

Archived